• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Tour de France, Info & Discussion

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
A place to discuss the upcoming Tour de France and an overview of the route profiles.

0rdri46.png

2016 Tour de France
July 2nd - July 24th

Downloads:
Race regulations (PDF, 1.6 MiB, French/English)
Roadbook (PDF, 159 MiB, French) (Mirror: www116.zippyshare.com/v/6RFSjTkD/file.html)

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2016/us/

Confirmed startlist:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_France_2016_Startlist

Invited PCT teams:
BORA - ARGON 18
COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS
DIRECT ENERGIE
FORTUNEO - VITAL CONCEPT

Route:

map_route.jpg

5b9cw29.jpg

FEmtHoF.jpg

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 1: Mont-Saint-Michel → Utah Beach Sainte-Marie-du-Mont (188 km, Flat)
pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 2: Saint-Lô → Cherbourg-en-Cotentin (182 km, Flat)
pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 3: Granville → Angers (222 km, Flat)
pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 4: Saumur → Limoges (232 km, Flat)
pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 5: Limoges → Le Lioran (216 km, Mountain)
pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 6: Arpajon-sur-Cère → Montauban (187 km, Flat)
pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (162 km, Mountain)
pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 8: Pau → Bagnères-de-Luchon (183 km, Mountain)
pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 9: Vielha Val d'Aran → Andorre Arcalis (184 km, Mountain)
pictoType_REP.gif
Rest day 1: Andorra
pictoType_MMG.gif
Stage 10: Escaldes-Engordany → Revel (198 km, Hilly)
pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 11: Carcassonne → Montpellier (164 km, Flat)
pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (185 km, Mountain)
pictoType_PRO.gif
Stage 13: Bourg-Saint-Andéol → La Caverne du Pont-d'Arc (37 km, ITT)
pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 14: Montélimar → Villars-les-Dombes Parc des Oiseaux (208 km, Flat)
pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 15: Bourg-en-Bresse → Culoz (159 km, Mountain)
pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 16: Moirans-en-Montagne → Berne (206 km, Flat)
pictoType_REP.gif
Rest day 2: Bern
pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 17: Berne → Finhaut-Emosson (185 km, Mountain)
pictoType_PRO.gif
Stage 18: Sallanches → Megève (17 km, ITT)
pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 19: Albertville → Saint-Gervais Mont Blanc (146 km, Mountain)
pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 20: Megève → Morzine-Avoriaz (146 km, Mountain)
pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 21: Chantilly → Paris Champs-Élysées (116 km, Flat)

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 1: Mont-Saint-Michel → Utah Beach Sainte-Marie-du-Mont (188 km, Flat)

G6NcLaW.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 2: Saint-Lô → Cherbourg-en-Cotentin (182 km, Flat)

1pi3FAK.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 3: Granville → Angers (222 km, Flat)

PqC6FI4.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 4: Saumur → Limoges (232 km, Flat)

NGUDM6h.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 5: Limoges → Le Lioran (216 km, Mountain)

PgukTJg.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 6: Arpajon-sur-Cère → Montauban (187 km, Flat)

ZtpDyH8.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (162 km, Mountain)

vn7K9D5.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 8: Pau → Bagnères-de-Luchon (183 km, Mountain)

JgdZnxS.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png
PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png
PROFILCOLSCOTES_3.png

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 9: Vielha Val d'Aran → Andorre Arcalis (184 km, Mountain)

xD2HqGm.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

pictoType_REP.gif
Rest day 1: Andorra

bZ6POgY.jpg

pictoType_MMG.gif
Stage 10: Escaldes-Engordany → Revel (198 km, Hilly)

oXlK62Y.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 11: Carcassonne → Montpellier (164 km, Flat)

5qH4GlY.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (Chalet Reynard) (178 km, Mountain) (Bastille day
picto_flag_fr.png
)

This stage was shortened by 6 km and instead finished at Chalet Reynard.

hpfksWX.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

pictoType_PRO.gif
Stage 13: Bourg-Saint-Andéol → La Caverne du Pont-d'Arc (37 km, ITT)

qrHFJ6F.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 14: Montélimar → Villars-les-Dombes Parc des Oiseaux (208 km, Flat)

tmxL88D.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 15: Bourg-en-Bresse → Culoz (159 km, Mountain)

nhfIOfH.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 16: Moirans-en-Montagne → Berne (206 km, Flat)

SGvAR3n.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_REP.gif
Rest day 2: Bern

pQjXCdi.jpg

pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 17: Berne → Finhaut-Emosson (185 km, Mountain)

xMU6rXT.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

pictoType_PRO.gif
Stage 18: Sallanches → Megève (17 km, ITT)

UJ6rhej.jpg

pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 19: Albertville → Saint-Gervais Mont Blanc (146 km, Mountain)

aEd5fFC.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png
PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

pictoType_HMG.gif
Stage 20: Megève → Morzine-Avoriaz (146 km, Mountain)

VW7DAgN.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png
PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

PROFILKMS.png

pictoType_PLN.gif
Stage 21: Chantilly → Paris Champs-Élysées (116 km, Flat)

t6dj8kY.jpg

Vive le tour.

If the Pont Arc TT was about 55km rather than 37km it would be one of the more balanced GC routes -for the Tour.

Personally in addition to the above change I am a fan of more intermediate stages for attacking classic type riders in GT's but the Tour shies away from those types of stages

Needs a longer ITT, and some better hilly stages and some mountain stages where the hardest climb is not the last one. I guess Stage 15 and 19 do that, but on Stage 15 everyone will wait for the Lacets Grand Colombier and on 19 everyone will wait for the MTF as there is too much false flat (uphill at some points) after Bisanne unfortunately, so unless the situation warrants it (like this year's Giro) it won't be that fun. Lac de Payolle is fine as an introduction to the mountains but Arcalis? Really?

Have to say this looks like a great route. Both ITTs are after HC Summit finishes, but you're guaranteed to have at least some action on a HC Summit finish.

Stage 1 gives a sprinter a chance for the yellow jersey, while a puncher will take yellow the next day.

Stage 5 provides a great opportunity for a breakaway to take yellow.

Stage 7 is beautifully designed and would only be improved with another tough climb before the Col d'Aspin.

Stage 8 looks ideal for a breakaway, and comes a bit early for my liking. A stage like that in the final week could have led to carnage, whereas everyone will probably play it safe. One of my few problems with the route.

My only other problem with the route is with stage 20. Are the 15km of flat before the first climb really necessary? And why not have a HC before the final climb? That would give us complete and utter carnage if someone strong enough was far enough behind going into it.

But overall, great route.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
My only other problem with the route is with stage 20. Are the 15km of flat before the first climb really necessary? And why not have a HC before the final climb? That would give us complete and utter carnage if someone strong enough was far enough behind going into it.
Uhhh, Ramaz is the hardest pass in the area (apart from Joux Plane). The last time it was included in the Tour it did quite a bit of damage.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Many boring flat stages as usual. It's a shame we have this short hilly TT and a mountainous one, essentially no test of aerobic power in the flat. ASO desperate for Quintana to win.

Stage to Mont Ventoux looks great, love those __/ profiles that come down to sheer power with an evenly paced effort. Arcalis looks good too

Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
PremierAndrew said:
Uhhh, Ramaz is the hardest pass in the area (apart from Joux Plane). The last time it was included in the Tour it did quite a bit of damage.

If the Grand Columbier is a HC climb with 12.8kms and 6.8% then surely Ramaz with 13.9km at 7.1% should be as well. Also the Col de la Forclaz on stage 17 with 13kms at 7.9%.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Many boring flat stages as usual. It's a shame we have this short hilly TT and a mountainous one, essentially no test of aerobic power in the flat. ASO desperate for Quintana to win.

Stage to Mont Ventoux looks great, love those __/ profiles that come down to sheer power with an evenly paced effort. Arcalis looks good too

Thank stage is shaping up to be a demonstration of Mikel Landa's MTT abilities.

Not a bad course but 10 is a bit weird or a waste.
Going from the profiles - Bertie to try on stage 8, Froome to ride the sky train on stage 9 to yellow and then try to sit on Quintana's wheel on stage 12.
There, saved you all a whole load of time in front of the TV :D
(Oh, yeah and LRP to lose 8 minutes after the first week of course)

I don't really have a problem with stage 10. You can't have 4 mountain stages in the first mountain range and you need to gtfo of the Pyrenees one way or another - I'd much rather have Envalira there to give the break a chance, at least.

I don't really wanna go over the route, what needed to be noted have been. Shaping up to be a good Quintana/Froome-duel.

Thanks Praying Mantis. I'm going to miss the TTT and a few more medium mountain/breakaway stages but looks like there is a lot of climbing and interesting opportunities for some jersey changes in the first week. Will Kittel win every sprint or will it be an open contest among the fastmen?

Re:

laughingcavalier said:
Thanks Praying Mantis. I'm going to miss the TTT and a few more medium mountain/breakaway stages but looks like there is a lot of climbing and interesting opportunities for some jersey changes in the first week. Will Kittel win every sprint or will it be an open contest among the fastmen?

Kittel seriously has the change to win 7-8 sprints this year, its kinda nauseating, but if he is in the peloton, I can't see anyone beat him mano a mano on the line. I say 5 victories, 3 in the first week.

Re: Re:

TheGreenMonkey said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
PremierAndrew said:

If the Grand Columbier is a HC climb with 12.8kms and 6.8% then surely Ramaz with 13.9km at 7.1% should be as well. Also the Col de la Forclaz on stage 17 with 13kms at 7.9%.

The averages of Colombier don't do it justice, it's a really irregular climb and deserves it HC status. Ramaz is too far out and not hard enough to overcome the initial problem of being too far out to deserve HC in ASO's eyes, and I see why they'd think that. Forclaz is very regular and the reason it's not HC is because you can't really have two back-to-back HC climbs when they are essentially the same one, i.e they only have a small descent separating them.

TRENDING THREADS