• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

2017 Tour of the Alps / Giro del Trentino 17/04 - 21/04

https://tourofthealps.eu/en

STARTLIST: http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_of_the_Alps_2017_Startlist

Stage 1 Kufstein › Innsbruck/Hungerburg (142.3k)


Stage 2 Innsbruck › Innervillgraten (181.3k)


Stage 3 Villabassa/Niederdorf › Funes / Villnöß (143.1k)


Stage 4 Bolzano / Bozen › Cles (165.3k)


Stage 5 Smarano › Trento (199.6k)




I'm not a traditionalist so i don't care about the name, and i think the tour of the alps from a marketing perspective is probably more useful.

I haven't broken it all down with profiles etc as all the description and profiles sit quite neatly within the website (if someone wants to do this within their own response feel free).
Interestingly no proper MTF, but lots of interesting climbs and stages offering plenty of opportunities, 5 stages this year rather than 3 and a TTT that we have had in other years.

Can't find much in the way of confirmed start lists out there yet, but Pinot and the 3 confirmed riders for Sky (Landa, G and Rosa) all look like decent shouts for the overall.
 
From a marketing perspective, "Tour of the Alps" couldn't be any more generic and bland. I realize that it's three separate administrative regions behind this so they can't simply keep calling it "Trentino" or even "Trentino-Tirol", but it is sad. So much less character.
 
Sorry, i assumed people would look at the link that has the route maps, the profiles and the stage descriptions.
i.e. all the stuff that normally goes into a stage race thread, but without cluttering the OP up with a lot of stuff that people may not care about, which can make the OP really long and often contains loads of info that some may find superfluous.
 
Re:

Singer01 said:
Sorry, i assumed people would look at the link that has the route maps, the profiles and the stage descriptions.
i.e. all the stuff that normally goes into a stage race thread, but without cluttering the OP up with a lot of stuff that people may not care about, which can make the OP really long and often contains loads of info that some may find superfluous.
Ever wondered why nobody came up with this brilliant idea before...? :p
 
Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
Singer01 said:
Sorry, i assumed people would look at the link that has the route maps, the profiles and the stage descriptions.
i.e. all the stuff that normally goes into a stage race thread, but without cluttering the OP up with a lot of stuff that people may not care about, which can make the OP really long and often contains loads of info that some may find superfluous.
Ever wondered why nobody came up with this brilliant idea before...? :p
I did actually, i sat and thought about it for a while and all i could come up with was either people do it at work to get out of actually doing their job, or they actually find it fun. Am i right, which one is it?
 
Re: Re:

Singer01 said:
Eshnar said:
Singer01 said:
Sorry, i assumed people would look at the link that has the route maps, the profiles and the stage descriptions.
i.e. all the stuff that normally goes into a stage race thread, but without cluttering the OP up with a lot of stuff that people may not care about, which can make the OP really long and often contains loads of info that some may find superfluous.
Ever wondered why nobody came up with this brilliant idea before...? :p
I did actually, i sat and thought about it for a while and all i could come up with was either people do it at work to get out of actually doing their job, or they actually find it fun. Am i right, which one is it?
close enough I guess, but there are actually two good reasons to do it:
- not everybody likes to use a link to another website, where the information is maybe nested in multiple pages, so that if you are on a mobile it becomes very annoying very quickly
- most of the content should BE in the forum, as we don't just want to drive traffic everywhere else (unless they pay ofc :D)... Links are welcome as sources, but the key content should be readable here.
 
Re:

WheelofGear said:
"Tour of the Alps" is a pretty soulless name but it doesn't really matter. It's just a warm-up race.

I assume by this you don't care about races like the Dauphine? After all they are just warm up races. This is a quality race with it's own history and quality list of winners, it most certainly deserves a name better than the Tour of the Alps and a little respect.
 
Stage 1 Kufstein › Innsbruck/Hungerburg (142.3k)


Stage 2 Innsbruck › Innervillgraten (181.3k)


Stage 3 Villabassa/Niederdorf › Funes / Villnöß (143.1k)


Stage 4 Bolzano / Bozen › Cles (165.3k)


Stage 5 Smarano › Trento (199.6k)


Competing teams
AG2R La Mondiale, Astana Pro Team, BMC Racing Team, Bora-Hansgrohe, Cannondale-Drapac, FDJ, Team Sky, Androni Giocattoli, Aqua Blue Sport, Bardiani - CSF, Caja Rural, Gazprom-RusVelo, Nippo - Vini Fantini, Wilier Triestina, Bike Aid, Sangemini - MG.Kvis, Tirol Cycling Team, Italian National Team.
 
Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
Singer01 said:
Eshnar said:
Singer01 said:
Sorry, i assumed people would look at the link that has the route maps, the profiles and the stage descriptions.
i.e. all the stuff that normally goes into a stage race thread, but without cluttering the OP up with a lot of stuff that people may not care about, which can make the OP really long and often contains loads of info that some may find superfluous.
Ever wondered why nobody came up with this brilliant idea before...? :p
I did actually, i sat and thought about it for a while and all i could come up with was either people do it at work to get out of actually doing their job, or they actually find it fun. Am i right, which one is it?
close enough I guess, but there are actually two good reasons to do it:
- not everybody likes to use a link to another website, where the information is maybe nested in multiple pages, so that if you are on a mobile it becomes very annoying very quickly
- most of the content should BE in the forum, as we don't just want to drive traffic everywhere else (unless they pay ofc :D)... Links are welcome as sources, but the key content should be readable here.
consider me appropriately advised and chastised!
 
Re: The race formerly known as the Giro del Trentino!

hfer07 said:
why or why replace a 40 year tradition name with solid roots & grounds, with a "Pop" logo for the sake of pleasing a "corporate & business interests" :mad:

anyway, looking forward to "it"
If you want to complain, then complain that the whole concept of the race was changed, but complaining that a race in which 2 of 5 stages start and finish in Austria isn't called Giro del Trentino anymore doesn't make any sense. Why on earth would North and East Tyrol want to host a race which is mostly advertisement for Trentino. I understand though that people aren't satisfied with the name, since Tour of the Alps sounds really uninspired.
 
Woah, what a lame decission. And changing such a beautiful name for Tour of the Alps...

Why not go all the marketing way and rename it something like "The Ultimate Climbers Challenge" or "Melinda-Selle Italia Tour of Trentino-SudTirol-Tirol". :rolleyes:
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
2
0
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
From a marketing perspective, "Tour of the Alps" couldn't be any more generic and bland. I realize that it's three separate administrative regions behind this so they can't simply keep calling it "Trentino" or even "Trentino-Tirol", but it is sad. So much less character.
Giro dell' Euregio or Euregio Giro (the whole region is known as the Tyrol–South_Tyrol–Trentino_Euroregion, usually just called Euregio) would be the correct term to use, but the new name just sucks and makes ZERO sense from a marketing perspective.
A few informations about a few of the climbs:
- The St. Justina climb on stage 2 is actually pretty hard, the first 3.1km before the false flat section is constantly over 10% steep, the final ramp after the false flat is pretty short. The finish in Innervillgraten isn't a real uphill finish, it's this climb until Innerfillgraten:
UnterstallerAlm.gif

- The little climb at the end of the final stage is actually an interesting climb, 2.72km at 7.7%, but irregular with multiple 15% steep ramps.
I'll be able to watch the finish of stage 2 live on the road and I'll be there at the start of stage 3, maybe I'll be able to talk the a few of the riders. :)
Edit: From what I've hear it's going to be Ndayisenga's first race for the Tirol Cycling Team on European soil. He has already landed in Tirol and is training with the team.
 
Re: The race formerly known as the Giro del Trentino!

Thanks for that.

Mayomaniac said:
Giro dell' Euregio or Euregio Giro (the whole region is known as the Tyrol–South_Tyrol–Trentino_Euroregion, usually just called Euregio) would be the correct term to use
As an Austrian i have never heard this region to be called Euregio, so maybe that's why they went with the stupid name Tour of the Alps.
 
Re: The race formerly known as the Giro del Trentino!

fauniera said:
Mayomaniac said:
Giro dell' Euregio or Euregio Giro (the whole region is known as the Tyrol–South_Tyrol–Trentino_Euroregion, usually just called Euregio) would be the correct term to use
As an Austrian i have never heard this region to be called Euregio, so maybe that's why they went with the stupid name Tour of the Alps.
"Euregio" is apparently also used for other Euroregions, so it wouldn't do regardless. Historically, "Giro del Tirolo-Tirol-Rundfahrt" would have been the best choice I think.