• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

2017 Worlds BERGEN, Norway, TTT, Sunday 17th Sept

Aug 13, 2016
256
0
0
Visit site
Team Time Trial (THe most exiting time trial course ever..)

Askøy will be the starting point for the Team Time Trials. Both the Women’s and Men’s teams will face the same course. The start of the UCI Road World Championships in Bergen couldn’t be better.


The Team Time Trial course will depart from the Askøy archipelago just outside Bergen. Askøy will give the teams a perfect welcome in nice and friendly surroundings. The Sports park at Ravnanger west on Askøy will be start area .

Close to the start we find the Hanøytangen business park. The facility is the home for big offshore projects and include one of Europe’s biggest dry-docks. We can expect to find oil-rigs at the dock, and this will once again give a unique perspective on the Norwegian oil-based economy.

The teams will depart from Ravnanger and head south. This part is rather flat, and will offer the teams a good chance to find a good rhythm early in the race. Thereafter the course turns east and takes the teams out to the fjord. The course will then follow the fjord into the Askøy centre at Kleppestø and over the breathtaking Askøy Bridge. With a total length of 1057 metres and a free span of 850 metres, it’s the second biggest suspension bridge in Norway.

On the Bergen side of the bridge the course will have a 4 km technical section before the riders face the first climb at Loddefjord. The climb is at 600 metres at an average of 10%. The next 10 km is flat as the course takes the riders along Lake Nordåsvannet and the Royal Residence Gamlehaugen. The castle was home to the first Norwegian Prime Minister Christian Michelsen.

Then comes the second climb of the day up towards Birkelundsbakken. It is 3 km with an average percentage of 6 %, but some parts will have 16%. It will dsurely emand the best of the teams that wants to be in contention for the medals. A rather flat part will then follow until the riders will face a short section of cobblestones around Bryggen. This section is around 0.6 km. The last 1.5 km will see the teams battling for the seconds around the harbor and the historical buildings at Bryggen. The finish is at Festplassen in the middle of the City.

(From http://www.Bergen2017.no)

Profile

2017_uci_road_worlds_bergen_norway_ttt_profile1.jpg


Course
https://d2o9doy8pqmlel.cloudfront.net/1504441216/bergen2017-1-ttt-v4.jpg

Start list https://d2o9doy8pqmlel.cloudfront.net/1505397134/53693-ttt-me-entries.PDF

Quick step with no Tony Martin still aiming for GOld http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert-returns-to-ttt-worlds-fray-seeking-rainbow-jersey/

Sky Team aiming for first GOld medal with a hilly route. Sky is Favourite according to experts.

BUt check out Team SUnweb team as well... Dark horses ..

Top favourites are Quickstep, BMC and SKy.
 
Aug 13, 2016
256
0
0
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Monte said:
The start of the UCI Road World Championships in Bergen couldn’t be better.
Sure it could.

Four riders, national teams, 100km.

That is the only way a World Championship TTT should be.

The statement was about the scenery and surroundings, not the tech :D


YOu know in 1993 and before there was amateur team time trials .. You wanna turn the clock back? I dont. But appreciate your input kid :D

Edit:I agree on the national teams instead of Sponsor teams though.. Like in WOrld Cup football vs Champions League.. And why not when its national teams in the road race.. I agree.
 
Aug 13, 2016
256
0
0
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
The 4 men teams and the 100 km length aren't even that important to me, but it still annoys me they don't have national teams. I would suddenly start caring about this even if they'd change that.


Agree, but not 4 man teams .. 6 atleast!. GErmany , Holland and Belgium would usually win .. BUt whats best, BMC; Quickstep and SKy or Nations :D Nations!
 
I've actually been thinking a bit about the whole national teams vs. trade teams thing lately. At first I thought it was trade teams because some countries wouldn't be able to field a complete team, but then I kinda realised that you can't really have that many countries participating anyways, at least if you want the event to finish at some point... so it would probably be the top-20 on the nation's ranking or something like that.
I suppose another - semi - argument for trade teams could be the fact that since you win it as a team, it should be on the team you spend most of your time on, with the trade team - if I understand correctly - being allowed to wear some smaller marker during TTTs. However, that completely ignores the issue with transfers. One example: Oss is on the BMC squad, they have a fairly good chance of winning this, Oss, though, is moving to Bora. Does it mean that he - despite being on the potential winning-squad - has less right to wear that marker than guys like Roelandts and Bettiol? So maybe it should simply be something that's written in a rider's personal palmares... or maybe the riders who were on the winning squad could get a personal marker.

TL;DR: National teams - maybe around six riders - top-20 on the national ranking.

Oh, and nations that are highly ranked, but not known for producing great TT riders should be able to decline their spot if they so desired.
 
Aug 13, 2016
256
0
0
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
I've actually been thinking a bit about the whole national teams vs. trade teams thing lately. At first I thought it was trade teams because some countries wouldn't be able to field a complete team, but then I kinda realised that you can't really have that many countries participating anyways, at least if you want the event to finish at some point... so it would probably be the top-20 on the nation's ranking or something like that.
I suppose another - semi - argument for trade teams could be the fact that since you win it as a team, it should be on the team you spend most of your time on, with the trade team - if I understand correctly - being allowed to wear some smaller marker during TTTs. However, that completely ignores the issue with transfers. One example: Oss is on the BMC squad, they have a fairly good chance of winning this, Oss, though, is moving to Bora. Does it mean that he - despite being on the potential winning-squad - has less right to wear that marker than guys like Roelandts and Bettiol? So maybe it should simply be something that's written in a rider's personal palmares... or maybe the riders who were on the winning squad could get a personal marker.

TL;DR: National teams - maybe around six riders - top-20 on the national ranking.

Oh, and nations that are highly ranked, but not known for producing great TT riders should be able to decline their spot if they so desired.

What about gingers vs white caucasians, blacks , chinese, japanese and indians making teams? Just a joke, nations are nations, same boat, one for all all for one.. Im for Nations in Worlds, as in the Road Race. And i think this will come to be in the end, cause we want it. BUt still SKy is kinda british, Quickstep is kinda Belgium and BMC is kinda AMerican .. Lets enjoy what we got until we get more of what we want..

I got an analogie for ya, Sky is Manchester United and BMC is Real Madrid .. Im united fan :D
 
Aug 13, 2016
256
0
0
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
BMC is kinda American, except they brand themselves as "the Swiss team." :p

THey did have a swiss WT licence at the start.. Their oligarch is American, and the trademark is his American brand.. Nothing swiss about them any more, and it wasnt from the start either.. Just a way to get in.
 
Aug 13, 2016
256
0
0
Visit site
Re:

Singer01 said:
One reason i see for trade teams is depite the disparity in budget, its still nowhere near the disparity there would be between national budgets.


Well if u see track and field go back to relay from Nations to Adidas vs Nike vs Reebok plz tell me..

We all know its gonna get to nations in the end, Cycling is just slow .. Like cross country skiing.. Demented old people need to die off before change happens :D
 
Re:

Singer01 said:
One reason i see for trade teams is depite the disparity in budget, its still nowhere near the disparity there would be between national budgets.
I don't know how this usually works in World and continental championships, but don't the riders usually just use the equipment they also use in their own teams? Because if that's the case I don't see a budget problem, after all the size of the budget doesn't decide which team the riders will ride for.

Anyway, I'd really like to see an Austrian 4 men TT team, with Brändle, Pöstlberger, Preidler and maybe Zoidl. They ofc wouldn't have a chance against teams like Belgium, Germany,... but I think it would simply be interesting to see how such a national team would perform.