• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 8 Cluses - Champéry 113.5km

2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 8 Cluses - Champéry 113.5 km

The final stage of the Critérium du Dauphiné includes six intermediate climbs before an uphill finish in Champéry. The race is 113.5 kilometres long.

Stage 8 is an explosive race with an explosive start. Three peaks are covered within the first 22 kilometres. So that should be the tonic to ignite the fireworks early on.

Straight from the gun the riders face the Côte de Châtillon-sur-Cluses (4.7 kilometres at 5%) and after a short drop the route continues on the Côte de Rond (3.9 kilometres at 6.5%). No drop after its summit as the Montée des Gets is next. The ascent is 4 kilometres long and slopes at 4.7%, while the summit is crested at an elevation of 1,159 metres. What a way to start a stage!

An extended downhill runs to the foot of the Col du Corbier, which is a 7.6 kilometres climb with an average gradient of 7.5%. The Corbier is an extremely irregular ascent though, with more than 3 kilometres at double digits. The last 600 metres before the top go up at 10.2%. Are the GC riders going to attack this early? Let’s hope so! The Corbier is crested at kilometre 49.

A steep drop leads to approximately 20 kilometres of false flat before the Pas de Morgins appears: 4.8 kilometres at 5.3%. The riders plunge down to the foot of the Côte des Rives. This is a steady ascent of 8.5 kilometres at 6.2%. Actually, the Rives is the last proper test of the Dauphiné and the summit is crested almost 12 kilometres before the line. A 3 kilometres descent brings the riders to a rolling uphill of 8.5 kilometres with slopes fluctuating between false flat and gradients of 5.5%.

Starts 13.55 CET TV from 15.25 CET
stage-8-profile.jpg

map
stage-8-route.jpg

dauphine-2019-stage-8-climb-n4-5d44840a19.jpg

finale
stage-8-finale.jpg

The stage doesn't look hard, but the riders can make it hard. Ineos doesn't want to control that stage until the end. Yetes can win the GC if he wins the stage and Fuglsang doesn't get second or third. A lot of riders are still close. The all out attacks have to happen at the Cotes de Rives and a lot of riders are interested in attacking. If they start to look at each other and attack like mad, it could get funny.

Re:

Faserr said:
The stage doesn't look hard, but the riders can make it hard. Ineos doesn't want to control that stage until the end. Yetes can win the GC if he wins the stage and Fuglsang doesn't get second or third. A lot of riders are still close. The all out attacks have to happen at the Cotes de Rives and a lot of riders are interested in attacking. If they start to look at each other and attack like mad, it could get funny.

Why would they want (or be expected to) control?

Re:

Koronin said:
I really want to believe that Tejay has a chance to finish on the podium.
Thing is he probably will, or at least top 5, which means he will have bigger expectations for the Tour and he won't lie up to that because this year's Dauphine route has been really boring and perfectly suited to TJs grinding climbing style. 8% over an extended period of times at a good tempo and he just goes pop.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Koronin said:
I really want to believe that Tejay has a chance to finish on the podium.
Thing is he probably will, or at least top 5, which means he will have bigger expectations for the Tour and he won't lie up to that because this year's Dauphine route has been really boring and perfectly suited to TJs grinding climbing style. 8% over an extended period of times at a good tempo and he just goes pop.

Good point, although hopefully he's going to the Tour to support Uran (assuming Uran is in shape and healed from his injuries at this point). I don't have any expectations for him at the Tour, but would like to see him to a podium here as I still have some minor hopes that he can still race for GC in some 1 week races.

Re: 2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 8 Cluses - Champéry 113

Stage could have potential in different circumstances but I suspect it could be a bit of a standoff amongst the GC riders.

The gentle last climb and some technical descending means it's well within Alaphilippe's range unless he wants to save his energy now the KOM is essentially sewn up.

Not sure what's up with Gaudu. I expected to see more from him the last couple of days. Not sure if his form is poor or if he's just been taking it easy for a breakaway attack here.

Re: 2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 8 Cluses - Champéry 113

I honestly don't see how Fuglsang can lose this race in this type of last stagenario, with that last climb.... Fuglsang has to have an accident, bonked or a mechanical- otherwise it favors him...
I'm expecting some activity from Poels & Yates but I think Astana has the men power to withstand their attacks...

Astana looked good yesterday so barring a disaster Fuglsang should be able to hold onto the yellow jersey. Poels showed the strength of Ineos's team. Maybe Kwia & Ineos will go for the stage.

Qunitana, Yates, Bardet, Pinot etc have still to prove themselves.

TRENDING THREADS