• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020-2021 new doping methods

Does anyone know of the new doping products being used by the pro peloton ? Is Aicar and EPO still be used ?

I'm interested to know if anyone knows what are the new masking agents as well as I've seen great "not normal" rides (podagar, kuss, roglic etc etc) this past season with no negative press (ie L'Equipe)

Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin I see mentioned.

But motors is still the main doping method.. Now they're so small that mechanics can't spot them and they are powered by 5G

There's also rumours that the Oxford-AstraZenica vaccine is just an Ineos cover for a doping program. Remember Ketones came from Oxford as well. If they win races in 2021 that will be proof.

Not sure if its relevant or has been discussed in another thread but this morning I read a story about artificial blood.

Cedric Ghevaert is a consultant haematologist and leader of a team at Cambridge University that is trying to create platelets in the laboratory.

Surely this has potential for doping but with all blood doping I don't understand why it wouldn't get detected via the UCI passport? Hopefully more knowledgeable posters here can clarify?

Not sure if its relevant or has been discussed in another thread but this morning I read a story about artificial blood.

Cedric Ghevaert is a consultant haematologist and leader of a team at Cambridge University that is trying to create platelets in the laboratory.

Surely this has potential for doping but with all blood doping I don't understand why it wouldn't get detected via the UCI passport? Hopefully more knowledgeable posters here can clarify?

Wow, now that's just nuts !

Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin I see mentioned.

But motors is still the main doping method.. Now they're so small that mechanics can't spot them and they are powered by 5G

There's also rumours that the Oxford-AstraZenica vaccine is just an Ineos cover for a doping program. Remember Ketones came from Oxford as well. If they win races in 2021 that will be proof.

Really the motors still ? I thought the UCI had their tablets to scan before every race and detect. Hmmm ?

Reactions: Cookster15

Now that is interesting. Something like that may also get detected in blood tests - if the analyst knows what to look for. I'd love to know how far along this is and if it is blood type specific. I will have to do some research.

Synthetic platelets already exist. Lab-grown platelets aren't new but a key issue with them is production at scale. It's an area that's long been looked into - the practical applications are immense - but still needs considerable time in order to become efficient.

WRT doping, they'd be pretty much the same as existing transfusions. How easy it would be to spot a transfusion of lab-grown RBCs would depend on the nature of the RBCs, ie do they look like your own cells or do they look foreign? If the latter - which seems most likely - well tests for homologous/allogenic transfusions already exist. There are currently no direct tests for autologous transfusions but the ABP has the ability to pick up such transfusions above a certain size by looking at other markers. Lab-grown platelets might also reopen the use of tests for plasticizers from bags used to store the platelets.

Long story short: nothing new, nothing scary.

The reason behind my sarcasm in the second post was people have been claiming there are new drugs and methods for a decade or two. But none has emerged. Aicar was a favourite, but no confessionals in the last decade have mentioned it.
The drugs now are the same as they were 25 years ago. Maybe someday something will come along, but there may no longer be the appetite for it.

TRENDING THREADS