• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

2020 World Championships Aigle (Switzerland)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Am I correct in assuming that the climb in next years WCH, "Petite Forclaz", is essentially the first 4 km of the alternate (south eastern) route up the Col de la Forclaz, which is normally climbed as a pre-climb before tackling the ascent up to the Emosson Dam, where Contador took over yellow in Dauphine 2014? The red section of this profile?

Honestly I think he should be the leader not the co-leader. He is a really good one day racer (hell, he is the most recent Lombardia winner) and this absolutely looks like a climbers race to me. Remember when RaF was too long for alaphilippe in LBL? A climb twice as long surely won't suit him better.
Sure there was a miraculous tdf in between but just because of one race I won't suddenly back alaphilippe on this route against elite climbers.
I don't think Pinot will or should be sole leader with the riders France has. Besides Alaphilippe, there is Bardet who is a great one day rider in his own right. Have we forgotten he took the silver behind Valverde last year and not PInot or Ala? He's also podiumed Liège. And the Alaphilippe from 2018 is not the one we saw this year. Obviously, we'll have to see what kind of form these guys all have next year but I think it's way too early to say Pinot (or any of those guys) should be sole leader.

I don't think Pinot will or should be sole leader with the riders France has. Besides Alaphilippe, there is Bardet who is a great one day rider in his own right. Have we forgotten he took the silver behind Valverde last year and not PInot or Ala? He's also podiumed Liège. And the Alaphilippe from 2018 is not the one we saw this year. Obviously, we'll have to see what kind of form these guys all have next year but I think it's way too early to say Pinot (or any of those guys) should be sole leader.
No, Pinot shouldn't be the sole leader either. I think Pinot might have been even stronger than bardet but was used on the penultimate climb iirc but of course you have to consider guys like bardet and alaphilippe for the case that the race isn't ridden hard. It's just that I think of these three Pinot is most likely to win

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS