• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 18: Rovereto – Stradella 232 km

Since when did I become the thread-starter?

You know the drill; Eshnar's done the work:

Stage 18: Rovereto – Stradella 232 km

Thursday, May 27th, 11.35 CEST

HfBvoV04S2I4TuN0Dc6F_220421-041648.jpg

mBHg71nw4NrhihdRFUoi_220421-041641.jpg

Technical Overview:

The longest stage of the Giro is, like last year, a transitional stage in the final week. Unlike last year’s stage to Asti, however, this stage has good potential with an extremely interesting finale. The finale itself has been changed after the presentation, when it was nothing special, in sort of the opposite way they did to stage 3. The stage starts in Rovereto and proceeds west for around 200 km through the Po Valley, without any notable difficulty. At km 196 the flat roads end for good, and what comes after it are 35 km without any respite along the vineyards, although also without steep ramps. The first climb of the day is uncategorized, Montu’ Beccaria (3.4 km at 4.1%), little more than a false flat but it is only the beginning. A short and twisty descent leads directly to the only categorized climb of this stage, Castana (GPM4, 5 km at 4.2%). Once again, the descent is short and twisty and might cause splits in the peloton if a team puts the hammer down. The third climb is the shortest and steepest of the day, Cicognola (1.4 km at 7.5%), and its descent brings to the intermediate sprint of Broni and the foot of the final climb. Canneto Pavese (2.6 km at 5.7%). The top is at 6 km to go, 3 km of descent and 3 of flat and straight roads to the finish.

Final Kilometers

A3AwqutQoRGLjclcW1Nd_220421-041643.jpg

The Climbs:

Castana: GPM4, 5 km at 4.2%

Hard to understand why this climb is the only categorized one of the stage. No profile obviously.

What to expect:

I would expect the breakaway to battle it out, considering this stage is sandwiched between four mountain stages. If the peloton wants to bother (and if the riders do not strike in case of rain…) the finale is perfect for an attacker or at the very least a Sanremo-style resolution.

19.jpg

Stradella

no sagan is not gonna win this stage, in fact bora will do everything they can to let a non threatening breakaway take the stage. For tomorrow you can count out Sagan, Gaviria, Cimolai. This should be a stage for the likes of Tratnik, Affini, Mollema, Hermans, Vanhoucke, Oliveira.

Reactions: Hihope
Cimolai won't survive the final hills, will he!?

If so ain't nobody's gonna help Bora chase. But ain't nobody's gonna pull turns in a breakaway containing Sagan either.

The likes of Riesebeek & Van der Hoorn might want (another) stage win.

Pellaud & Marengo for the former intergiro classification!

Reactions: limak_
I thought Bora could pace this - after all Buchmann is out so it's not like they have something to do in the mountains - but yeah, it's probably a bit too long for one team to do it alone and who else might be interested? Considering how strong Ulissi looked today, maybe UAE for both him and Gaviria? Or perhaps we will see a few of these guys in the break.

I think Sagan will be focused on keeping the maglia ciclamino, unfortunately. But on paper it looks like it could easily be another win for him.

I thought Bora could pace this - after all Buchmann is out so it's not like they have something to do in the mountains - but yeah, it's probably a bit too long for one team to do it alone and who else might be interested? Considering how strong Ulissi looked today, maybe UAE for both him and Gaviria? Or perhaps we will see a few of these guys in the break.

I think Sagan will be focused on keeping the maglia ciclamino, unfortunately. But on paper it looks like it could easily be another win for him.
Every Bora rider should try to get in the break. Sagan, Grossschartner and Fabbro could all win this stage.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS