• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 3: Kaposvár – Balatonfüred 201 km (Sunday, May 8th)

From @Eshnar's excellent 2022 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis thread: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/2022-giro-ditalia-stage-by-stage-analysis.37819/#post-2691559

Stage 3: Kaposvár – Balatonfüred 201 km
Sunday, May 8th, 12:25 CET

FynQOObOjMI6xo9NDEhV_220422-043921.jpg

B2kZKmWAGcblVwKJkvzE_090322-031109.jpg

Technical Overview:
The last Hungarian stage is the first chance for the pure sprinters, with a long but pretty simple route along Lake Balaton. The are some minor undulations and one categorized climb, Tihany (GPM4, 2.7 km at 2.5%). It tops at 12.6 km to go, but should just barely be noticed by the peloton.

Final km:

V6uWKagwtvmfbm1EimOi_220422-043923.jpg

The Climbs:

Tihany
: GPM4, 2.7 km at 2.5%
They really wanted to have a GPM and this was their best option I guess. No profile available.

What to expect:
The first bunch sprint.

Tihany-Balaton.jpg

Tihany, Lake Balaton

Reactions: JosefK
At least it's a sprint without an obvious winner. Ewan usually doesn't like the first sprint of a GT and might not be at 100% after his crash, Cavendish is wildly inconsistent this year, and everyone else doesn't usually win in a field of this strength (anymore).

I'm still in disbelief MVDP willingly sacrifices his own sprint (and a shot at the ciclamino) to support... Mareczko in these sprints.

I mean if Merlier or Philipsen were here I'd understand. But without them for the love of god just try sprinting. Yes you won't win against Cav or Ewan but you can easily Sagan your way to points jersey
I think he really just doesn’t want to contest a load of full bunch sprints. I mean, they are stressful, chaotic and dangerous and he has a lot of other ways to win stages in situations where he’s the best rather than a dark horse.

I'm still in disbelief MVDP willingly sacrifices his own sprint (and a shot at the ciclamino) to support... Mareczko in these sprints.

I mean if Merlier or Philipsen were here I'd understand. But without them for the love of god just try sprinting. Yes you won't win against Cav or Ewan but you can easily Sagan your way to points jersey
mvdp wants to be good after the giro too. Spending all his energy to get the points jersey might not be a great long-term strategy. You know the fight for the points jersey will be fierce, Nizzolo and Demare have basically their entire team here at disposal to get the green.

It’ll either be Ewav, Cav, or MVDP/Gaviria from something happening. Demare and Nizzolo don’t have the speed so far.

But is he going to ride the whole Giro or withdraw before the final week to prepare for the Tour?

TRENDING THREADS