• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 9: Isernia – Blockhaus 189 km (Sunday, May 15th)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
First time i seen these style:

hoLxLrYVqSY8WMnZkRH8K3-970-80.jpg.webp

Looks fast.
Methinks he should get a few tips from Marc Marquez.

Looks like he misjudged the corner. Not sure if its a factor but what tires are Bahrain running ? Tubulars or tubeless? Obviously they are Contis but my eyes not good enough to see more in that photo. :)

Fearless tires?

Because he is portuguese. Like pogacar was underestimating until planche des belles filles itt on tour 2020 because is from slovenia.
If joao almeida were from belgium, spain or italy, the hype would be very high. They are traditional countries in cycling.

Yeah that Slovenian guy came totally out of the blue. Beating the Slovenian guy.

Looks like he misjudged the corner. Not sure if its a factor but what tires are Bahrain running ? Tubulars or tubeless? Obviously they are Contis but my eyes not good enough to see more in that photo. :)

It's clearly the disc brakes on the left side that made him heavier on that side, and down he went.

Kelderman blames disc brakes after losing 10 minutes at Giro d'Italia
Dutchman says overheated rotors caused spokes to collapse on Lanciano descent

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kelderman-blames-disc-brakes-after-losing-10-minutes-at-giro-ditalia/

Very happy for Hindlay after missing out on the overall in 2020 and suprised to see him outperforming teammate Buchmann. I thought Carapaz didn't have it in him with the way Porte was being asked to ride a tempo that wasn't really troubling people. I don't have a clue who will now win the overall.

A shame about Yates, I wondered if he was struggling in the heat as he lost a disproportionate amount of time on the lower slopes and seemed to settle as he got into cooler altitudes. He was foolish to confirm heat was an issue as this gives information to rival DSes (run Simon hard on lower slopes in hot weather).

Because he is portuguese. Like pogacar was underestimating until planche des belles filles itt on tour 2020 because is from slovenia.
If joao almeida were from belgium, spain or italy, the hype would be very high. They are traditional countries in cycling.
Pogacar wasn't underestimated ahead of PDBF. He was seen by nearly everyone as Roglic's biggest threat almost from the start of the Tour and even before it.

But I think there's a difference between hype and over/underestimating a rider. Hype flows naturally from the amount of exposure, and cyclists will always get more in the traditional hotbeds you mention.

In contrast your estimation of a rider is based on past performance, independent of hype...

Meanwhile Ciccone gets roasted by the Italian fans. Yeah, it was a really bad performance, but nobody even mentions the fact that Bronchitis ruined his spring and forced him to postpone his altitude camp. Seems a bit harsh to me, but I already had zero expectations because of that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Congratulations to Jai Hindley for taking a prestigious stage win.

Too bad for Yates. A crash will do that and on such level if you are not healthy there will be a setback. All the effort invested in preparation for Giro and all is gone now. It's devastating. As for the rest. I have a feeling Richie wanted to do more today. The fact that cyclists such as Landisimo and Almeida didn't get dropped hints this race still might be open and alive in regards to GC. As for the Almeida. Pogi will likely regret not taking him to the Tour.

Considering what happened last year. To Landa. Lets see if this indeed could be the year where things click together for him. Having Tratnik would help. Still Landa managed just fine today.

it was not Pogacar decision to make regarding taking or not Almeida to TDF. As I said months ago, Almeida has is own schedule that is not attached to Pogacar. Almeida was signed to be a leader and not to work as a domestique for Pogacar. Sure that it will happen here and there

Meanwhile Ciccone gets roasted by the Italian fans. Yeah, it was a really bad performance, but nobody even mentions the fact that Bronchitis ruined his spring and forced him to postpone his altitude camp. Seems a bit harsh to me, but I already had zero expectations because of that.
He should stop chasing GCs and go stage hunting though. That's his nature.
Don't know if it's Trek pushing him to be a GT leader.

It's clearly the disc brakes on the left side that made him heavier on that side, and down he went.

Kelderman blames disc brakes after losing 10 minutes at Giro d'Italia
Dutchman says overheated rotors caused spokes to collapse on Lanciano descent

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kelderman-blames-disc-brakes-after-losing-10-minutes-at-giro-ditalia/
Unless he was the only one using wheels with spokes made of recycled plastic straws, why is he the only one having this issue?

I didnt Know Landa fell down in Lanciano descent.
At the end the 3 stronger riders looking too much each others, and didnt put distance to Almeida.
Apparantly Landa fell twice. It goes back to what many of us were lamenting yesterday about basically ignoring the peloton until the start of Blockhaus to which we were told that it doesnt matter unless something of importance happened. Well, guess what, that was pretty important, and we missed that along with - most likely - lots of other small things due to their complete obsession with covering a weak breakaway that had no business ever winning. That was obvious to everyone.

He should stop chasing GCs and go stage hunting though. That's his nature.
Don't know if it's Trek pushing him to be a GT leader.
Last year he looked pretty good until he crashed out of the race, so I understand why he wants to try going for the gc at least once.
That said, when Bronchitis ruined his prep he should have skipped the Giro, gone stagehunting at the Tour like planned and then ridden the Vuelta for the gc.
It wouldn't surprise me if the co-sponsor Segafredo was the one pushing for the team to have an Italian gc rider at the Giro.

Pogacar wasn't underestimated ahead of PDBF. He was seen by nearly everyone as Roglic's biggest threat almost from the start of the Tour and even before it.

But I think there's a difference between hype and over/underestimating a rider. Hype flows naturally from the amount of exposure, and cyclists will always get more in the traditional hotbeds you mention.

In contrast your estimation of a rider is based on past performance, independent of hype...
All you had to check was Pogi's Tour of California and first Vuelta to know he was the real Deal.

Porte on VNews;
"If there’s one thing that really grinds my gears it’s riders getting tows from cars and really long “sticky bottles” on the climbs. We’re here pedaling our bikes, so why aren’t you? I don’t like that side of it, it’s cheating. I won’t call out the rider I’m talking about, but one guy was holding onto the car for 30 seconds. I told him to pedal his bike and shouted at him, and I really hate it. "
Who might this person be? ?

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS