• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022 Vuelta a España stage 4(Vitoria-Gastiez-Lagaurdia),152.5 km, Hilly

The first stage in Spain offers the first actual stage of real interest to the viewing eye, with a hilly stage in the Basque Country to await the riders.
047fc

The first 50 or so kilometers are mainly flat, which brings us to the first climb of the Puerto de Opakua, our first category 2 climb of the race.
OpakuaN.gif

The next 70 or so kilometers are rolling, with some rises, including after the intermediate sprint in Lagrán. With around 20 k’s to go, we reach the climb of the Puerto de Herrera, a cat 3 climb with a bonus on top to inspire GC attacks I suppose, with the top crested with 14.5 k’s to go to the finish line uphill in Laguardia.
HerreraN.gif

a8b02

Final 5km’s profile

Roglic vs. Alaphilippe by the looks of it. Perhaps the new, punchy version of Evenepoel can compete for the win as well. Who else could be in the mix? Higuita, Almeida, Valverde, Ayuso? I reckon it's too much for Hayter?

Unless they go very hard in the hardest part I think Hayter should be in the mix. Higuita and Ayuso have a good chance indeed, but I have doubts about Alaphilippe and Valverde's current shape

The first stage in Spain offers the first actual stage of real interest to the viewing eye, with a hilly stage in the Basque Country to await the riders.
Thanks for the thread! I hear what you're saying, but I'd argue the TTT was quite interesting for the viewer. At least this viewer! But yeah, 2 and 3 were snore-fests and always were going to be.

I don't know much about the final climb. Enough to create gaps? I mean, I'm sure there will be a sprint to the line from a smaller group, and we'll get some minor gaps there. Bonus seconds and a few more maybe? Mainly curious how QS will approach this one, it looks like much more an Alaphillipe climb than an Evenepoel climb. Assume since the stated goal is stage wins, Ala goes for it and RE defends as best he can. Seems some chance he tries to go for it earlier, but I hope not, that doesn't seem like a good call this early in the race, But the kid is clearly chomping at the bit and strong as heck. Could be really interesting, could be pretty predictable. No idea.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread! I hear what you're saying, but I'd argue the TTT was quite interesting for the viewer. At least this viewer! But yeah, 2 and 3 were snore-fests and always were going to be.

I don't know much about the final climb. Enough to create gaps? I mean, I'm sure there will be a sprint to the line from a smaller group, and we'll get some minor gaps there. Bonus seconds and a few more maybe? Mainly curious how QS will approach this one, it looks like much more an Alaphillipe climb than an Evenepoel climb. Assume since the stated goal is stage wins, Ala goes for it and RE defends as best he can. Seems some chance he tries to go for it earlier, but I hope not, that doesn't seem like a good call this early in the race, But the kid is clearly chomping at the bit and strong as heck. Could be really interesting, could be pretty predictable. No idea.

Alaphilippe didn't look to be in the best of form at Tour de L'Ain although this finish should suit him if he can get back close to his best. What you say makes sense though since there will not be much to be gained in the GC battle tomorrow from looking at the profile other than potential time bonuses. I like the unpredictability that the first real test of this race brings since there are so many unknowns.

Reactions: red_flanders
Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
I think Roglič will only follow GC attacks for now and sprint to the line for bonus seconds if the opportunity presents itself. He probably saw that Pogačar made the mistake of too any attacks form the start in TdF and learned from it.
But then again I could be wrong..

Reactions: Sandisfan
Remco won't do anything on this climb.

Its less than a km, not extremely steep... A good alaphilippe, higuita, valv piti, roglic... might have a shot... don't expect any differences beside boni seconds.
But i expect a breakaway to make it.

Don't think there are many teams that will work to bet on this finish for the win.