• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
well, Ivrea as starting place will already make a long flat start of the stage. Which makes climbs between Saint-Bernard and Crans Montana less likely. Read on the cicloweb forum that they extend the Crans Montana climb with 2 k 6/7% above the town. Odds of Col du Lein instead of Croix de Coeur would be higher I guess.
Ivrea to Crans seems to be something like 200 km with only GSB between. That doesn't leave much room for other climbs. If they are to do something more, I would much prefer using Anzere just before Crans rather than something in the Aosta valley or earlier in the Rhóne valley.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Crans-Montana is still meh, a finish in Martigny after GSB would be much better, with Col des Planches from Sembrancher before a downhill finish.
Another climb at the start of the stage and maybe something before Grand Bernard and we're fine!

Ivrea - Colle Tzecore - Grand Saint Bernard - Col des Planches - Petit Forclaz (that climb that should have been raced in 2020 world championship) - Martigny and everybody is happy

1 x HC, 1 x HC, 1 x 1st and 1 x borderline 2/3 category

Bunch of rumors grouped together

FeJdI0fWYAIvEUM

impossible to judge based on this overview. For Giro standards rather weak mountain stages. Lago Lancano and Gran Sasso seems not to bad for a first week. The Bergamo stage seems promissing as well. Giau/Tre Cime stage clearly the queen stage, with changes for long range atacks. Don't like so much the Crans Montana and Bondona stages, they cleary are all about the last climb of the day. The Cibiana is actually a nice little steep climb, but I doubt somebody would risk there something as the next 2 days will be the most important ones in the whole giro.

But the whole giro route we only can judge if we know the other stages. Relatively weak mountain stages for Giro standards is not so bad, if some nice murito, hilly, medium mountain and strade bianchi stages are also there to compensate for it. Like the fact that there are 1 or 2 nice flat time trials as well.

We seriously need two queen stages at the Giro and Tour. We can't just be happy with one queen in 3 weeks. Come on. After Granon we were deflated a little bit. Ang in Giro if the queen has issues with weather then the route becomes a failure. I don't think it is too much to ask. Hautacam last year is not a queen stage. Organizers are just afraid.

We seriously need two queen stages at the Giro and Tour. We can't just be happy with one queen in 3 weeks. Come on. After Granon we were deflated a little bit. Ang in Giro if the queen has issues with weather then the route becomes a failure. I don't think it is too much to ask. Hautacam last year is not a queen stage. Organizers are just afraid.
Deflated after Granon? Seriously the racing was great, not every race needs two queen stages to be excellent.

• Wow
Deflated after Granon? Seriously the racing was great, not every race needs two queen stages to be excellent.
Racing was good. I agree, but race was over. Maybe I should not have said two queen stages, but stages that promote long range attacks or stages that lead to big gaps. What they are doing now, and I see the Giro is doing that too, is cramping the mountains at the end. This pretty much curtails the motivation for long range attacks. Vuelta always have done that and have created a Niche around this. But Now the Giro and the Tour. I said 2 queen stages but probably meant very harsh stages or better design stages that motivates attacks from further away. I call today's stages "Power Meter Stages". They are a race of who has the highest power to weight ratio in a short time. Not recuperation or strategy involved (or curtailed).

I understand we keep complaining about the same but it looks like we are going in the opposite direction IMHO.

Bunch of rumors grouped together

FeJdI0fWYAIvEUM
I did not expect but a lot, but holy ****

There would have been so much more potential for the stages to Crans Montana and the Monte Bodone. But aside the Tre Cime stage, there are no real brutal mountain stages. This year we had 3 of those, despite them not being all good, but they tried at least. I hope someone messed up some rumours.

A week before the official presentation. I guess we know more or less the whole route but at the same time less details on the mountain stages.

I assume there are no more news on the design of Lago Laceno, Crans Montana, Bondone-stage?
No there haven't been rumours about those. We are pretty sure we know the whole route (I and a bunch of other Cicloweb users), but we are waiting to get some confirmation before writing it. In any case, there are no surprises afaik.
I don't know what your actual standing point is, but the finish is now rumoured to be in Rome. I hate that idea, especially the logistical standpoint of it. Also there is now no hilly final course as some have hoped.
Yeah, the finish will be in Rome.

Just one more question - Stage 14 to Cesano Maderno on a saturday. Is it expected to be at least hilly? Or do we actually have to use a precious weekend-day for a boring sprint?
The only source for Cesano Maderno is a Cicloweb user who is usually very reliable for the north-west. We do not have any other alternative rumour for that day so imho it is gonna happen. In that case, it can't be anything more than a sprint or a breakaway stage, there is nothing there.
Yeah it sucks.

The only source for Cesano Maderno is a Cicloweb user who is usually very reliable for the north-west. We do not have any other alternative rumour for that day so imho it is gonna happen. In that case, it can't be anything more than a sprint or a breakaway stage, there is nothing there.
Yeah it sucks.

It is worrying but Giro 2023 risk the fate of having the worst route of the GT's - something I find very rare.

What about gravel? Is it rumoured somewhere? Stages with possible stretches of gravel?

• Wow
Yeah, the finish will be in Rome.
Maybe this time they'll be able to fix the huge potholes and finish somewhere nice.
What's the point of a Rome finish if you don't have a stage finish on the Fori Imperiali? That one would actually be a nice scenery. Otherwise that City is just a mess, they are pretty much living in a museum that isn't getting maintained properly...

TRENDING THREADS