• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 14: Sierre – Cassano Magnago 193 km (Saturday, May 20th)

From @Eshnar's excellent 2023 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis thread: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/2023-giro-ditalia-stage-by-stage-analysis.38851/post-2828625

Stage 14: Sierre – Cassano Magnago 193 km

Saturday, May 20th, 12:05 – 17:10 CEST

tcMMeXQIwrrSnQb0H3jA_180423-113721.jpg

XpZqLXXvY0cIfxz7zLvP_180423-113608.jpg

Technical Overview:

The third weekend starts in Sierre, from where the peloton will head immediately back to Italy across the Alps for an unusual kind of stage. After 35 km of flat terrain, the riders will face the third 2000+ altitude climb of this Giro, the Simplonpass (GPM1, 20.2 km at 6.5%), another huge one, although not as tough as yesterday’s climbs. The top is at 138 km to go and the descent is very long but also very fast. It gradually eases off and ends at about 100 km to go… and that’s about it. All the rest is flat along the valleys and then along the coast of Lake Maggiore, with the final 25 km being on a somewhat ragged terrain but still without any notable ramps.

d51EGWiBUEfao2EIgrPH_180423-113949.jpg

The Climbs:

Simplonpass
: GPM1, 20.2 km at 6.5%

Passo del Sempione in Italian, but it is all in Switzerland so I use the Swiss name. Unlike the Gran San Bernardo, the border is not at the top but almost at the end of the descent. It does have 4.7 km at 8.7% average near the start, but after that it gets easier. If it was closer to the finish it would be a big threat, but like this it will only be important for the breakaway.

37wEpa7wFiCTUEH4WfC8_180423-113859.jpg

What to Expect:

A huge breakaway probably, or maybe even a mass sprint. It depends on how the Simplonpass will be raced, of course, and on how many sprinters are willing to hang on.

Simplonpass-scaled.jpg

Simplonpass

The worst GT stage ever designed . Absolute horse pis for a saturuday stage. I'm boycotting the stage in protest and will spend Saturday training with friends. If anyone see me in the race thread after 1pm tomorrow please ban me until Masnada or Landa is next racing again. Danke alviedersehen
Your training ride will probably end up being longer than the stage at this rate

The worst GT stage ever designed . Absolute horse pis for a saturuday stage. I'm boycotting the stage in protest and will spend Saturday training with friends. If anyone see me in the race thread after 1pm tomorrow please ban me until Masnada or Landa is next racing again. Danke alviedersehen
Not a great stage design, but the previous stage was supposed to be the queen stage. We all know how that worked out...

If the riders were to successfully petition to have this stage shortened by 90km then we would have a nice stage but this design is just insultingly poor for the penultimate Saturday stage of the race.
Could have been a good short stage if it was cut in half. Lots of descending to watch on this one. Ineos will be happy to let the break get a good gap while the teams with a sprinter left won't want the gap too big.

TRENDING THREADS