• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

38th Vuelta a San Juan Internacional (2.1) // 26th of January - 2nd of February 2020

DISCLAIMER: In roughly 3 weeks, it's time for the 38th edition of Vuelta a San Juan Internacional. However the information (especially the startlist) is still subject to change. The stages have been known, but the profiles have not been released yet. I will update this post when profiles are available and maybe when more interesting riders are added to the roster.

vsj2020_azul.svg

TEAMS:

UAE TEAM EMIRATES
BORA - hansgrohe
DECEUNINCK QUICK STEP
MOVISTAR TEAM
ISRAEL ACADEMY
COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS
ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI - SIDERMEC
BARDIANI CSF FAIZANE'
VINI ZABU' KTM
RALLY CYCLING
FUNDACION - ORBEA
MEDELLÍN INDER
MUNICIPALIDAD DE POCITO
MUNICIPALIDAD DE RAWSON
AGRUPACIÓN VIRGEN DE FÁTIMA - SADDLEDRUNK
SEP San Juan
PUERTAS DE CUYO
SPORTING TAVIRA
COLOMBIA TIERRA DE ATLETAS - GW BICICLETAS
AMORE & VITA
ARGENTINA
ITALIA
RUSIA
PANAMÁ
VENEZUELA
BRASIL
PERÚ

TOP 10 - 2019:

STAGES:

1st stage will begin and end at the Bicentennial Theater after a tour of the province's levees.
(Youtube)
1bskuy.png

2nd stage will begin and end on Route 40, in front of the Sports City. (Youtube)
24ok05.png

3rd stage will be an individual time trial of 15 kilometers, ending on top of the Punta Negra Dam. (Youtube)
3ysjv6.png

4th stage will be the traditional stage on Route 150 from Jáchal to Valle Fértil. (Youtube)
4w1kej.png

5th stage will begin in Caucete and culminate on top of the Alto Colorado. (Youtube)
5lvkz1.png

6th stage will start and end at the San Juan Villicum Circuit after a visit to the Difunta Correa. (Youtube)
6ooj7b.png

7th stage will be the traditional circuit of the Avenida de Circunvalación where they will complete nine laps. (Youtube)
7ijkt3.png

Interesting, compared to last year, is that the ITT has been promoted to 15km and now finishes uphill on the top of the Punta Negra Dam, which last year was the finish for the second stage, where Alaphilippe took the win. Alaphilippe also won the 12k ITT on the next day. After his tour de force in last years Tour de France ITT, he can certainly be seen as the standout favorite for this year's ITT, which is basically a combination of two stages he won last year. That might also mean that the ITT might be more decisive for the overall classification, than last year. So far the biggest threat for Alaphilippe (at least for the ITT) seems to be coming from within his own team. Remco Evenepoel finished 3rd in last year's ITT (with the fastest intermediate time), but has since won the ECC ITT and silver on the WCC ITT. He has also stated to be in better form than last year (mainly refering to his weight). Last year the ITT was on regular bikes, not on TT bikes.

INTERESTING CONTENDERS:

Some interesting riders (so far): Julian Alaphilippe, Peter Sagan, Rafal Majka, Fernando Gaviria, Remco Evenepoel, Guillaume Martin, Carlos Betancur, Oscar Sevilla, Brandon McNulty, Filippo Ganna, Christophe Laporte, Nelson Oliveira, José Rujano, Juan Diego Alba...

BROADCAST/STREAMS:

Official youtube streams:
Gobierno de San Juan: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=#VueltaSJ2020
TV Pública Argentina: https://www.youtube.com/user/TVPublicaArgentina/featured

Eurosport TV broadcast starting +/- 23h CET

Global Cycling Network stream (georestricted) - GCN Racing Youtube & Facebook.

Last edited:
Reactions: christopherrowe
Interesting lineup. Gaviria and Sagan had a really mixed results last year. Hoping they can provide some battle already. Also the Quickstep duo will be up there in the GC contenders. I only saw Remco riding in UAE Tour and the WC races.

Interesting lineup. Gaviria and Sagan had a really mixed results last year. Hoping they can provide some battle already. Also the Quickstep duo will be up there in the GC contenders. I only saw Remco riding in UAE Tour and the WC races.
If you want to see some more of Remco, you can find a lot on youtube. It basiscally started with his solo in Hammer climb Limburg, last year, which is available start to end. There are recaps of Baloise Belgium Tour. The solo in Adriatica Ionica race is also on youtube (30k from the finish). And the final of Classica San Sebastian (the attack).

I'm trying to remember where I watched this last year. It was either on FloBikes or was streamed on ESPN Latin America, though that may have been the Colombia tour. It's not listed on the schedule for either of my streaming services right now, alas.

I'm trying to remember where I watched this last year. It was either on FloBikes or was streamed on ESPN Latin America, though that may have been the Colombia tour. It's not listed on the schedule for either of my streaming services right now, alas.
Looking at last year's topic, it seems the race was broadcast on Eurosport and streamed on TIZ. So there is hope there will be some livestreams, even if you don't have Europsport.

Looking at last year's topic, it seems the race was broadcast on Eurosport and streamed on TIZ. So there is hope there will be some livestreams, even if you don't have Europsport.
Cool. I'm pretty sure FloBikes here in the States has the rights to stream most, if not all, of the English-language called Eurosport cycling races. So if they broadcast it, I might get a stream. Thanks!

INTERESTING CONTENDERS:

Some interesting riders (so far): Julian Alaphilippe, Peter Sagan, Rafal Majka, Fernando Gaviria, Remco Evenepoel, Guillaume Martin, Carlos Betancur, Oscar Sevilla, Brandon McNulty, Filippo Ganna, Christophe Laporte, Nelson Oliveira...
[/QUOTE]

and him;

INTERESTING CONTENDERS:

Some interesting riders (so far): Julian Alaphilippe, Peter Sagan, Rafal Majka, Fernando Gaviria, Remco Evenepoel, Guillaume Martin, Carlos Betancur, Oscar Sevilla, Brandon McNulty, Filippo Ganna, Christophe Laporte, Nelson Oliveira...

and him;
[/QUOTE]
Ryo probably approves this post. :cool:

Yeah, what I'm wondering is, who will be on some decent form, other than usual suspects like Sevilla and the Argentinian riders? Just talking GC riders.

Both Alaphilippe and Evenepoel have a very high base level. Majka is second tier. Very talented, but no generational talent. Needs to have some form to make the top 5 or podium, IMO. (I haven't seen the full start list yet). Same for G. Martin, I guess.

McNulty and Ganna are question marks. Did Ganna gain weight since the last time he featured on GC two years ago? Not a clue...

TRENDING THREADS