• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

455 visits to my profile...

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Something is a bit odd about that forum feature. The number of visits to my profile has increased over time (to a number, frankly, that seems a bit unlikely), but the list of members named as the last 10 visitors seems to remain the same. I really can't believe they're all so fascinated with my profile that they come back to it time and again. :D

I wondered about that feature as well - what a bunch of self absorbed schmucks we are :)

I think it might count your own visits as well, which would quickly make it soar as you constantly check who's visited you... I use the page to go and check up on my previous posts (don't ever remember where I post, so have to go and find out somehow) - not the least bit interested in visits, nope...

EDIT: By the way, just took the chance to go and visit each of your profiles - just to honour the thread...

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
I think it might count your own visits as well, which would quickly make it soar as you constantly check who's visited you... I use the page to go and check up on my previous posts (don't ever remember where I post, so have to go and find out somehow) - not the least bit interested in visits, nope...

Just visited myself a bunch of times with no change in the number of visits.....so i don't think so.

JPM London said:
EDIT: By the way, just took the chance to go and visit each of your profiles - just to honour the thread...

yep - would be rude not to

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
9,490 visits. 67 friends. I was however one of the first people on here. Even before BroDeal. And to prove that it's actually I that rewl, I have used my admin powers and banned all of BroDeal's friends.

;)

..... but a lot of BroDeal's friends are also your friends Alpe! :eek:

Hahaha!
BroDeal said:
Maybe not. I had another name before I registered this one.
Ha. No, that "sock puppet" of yours actually showed up two days after me.

And as I recall correctly, "Bro Deal" was actually banned for life, and all his posts deleted about a day later, plus an IP block on his address. Didn't take Greg Johnson long to figure that one out at all.

:cool:

Cobber said:
..... but a lot of BroDeal's friends are also your friends Alpe! :eek:
Including him it appears! I may end up banning myself if I'm not careful! :eek:

May 20, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
I wondered about that feature as well - what a bunch of self absorbed schmucks we are :)

I concur. I observe 7 visitors but >>>>count.

Ditto, very useful for finding posts (suffering early onset Alzheimer's...nuhhh just v forgetful).

Also so honoured

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I must not be very interesting: 1,577 posts and 1,648 visits to my profile :(

Alpe d'Huez said:
I was however one of the first people on here. Even before BroDeal.

Was the forum started in March 2009? That seems to be about the farthest back that most people have signed up. Including me, funnily enough - I thought I had been reading the forum for a while before joining in. Maybe I'd already signed up, but as inactive. I also always assumed that the most frequent posters were on here long before I was, but I guess not!

It would be interesting to see some statistics regarding the "big boys" (3,000 posts and up) on the forum, and who signed up when.

The forum here came to life on 3-2-09, but only Dan Benson (Tsar of CyclingNews) seems to have registered on that day. Susan and other staff were added on the 5th. I believe it took a day or two before it was open to everyone, as the very first thread was on 3-10-09, the same day I registered, along with TFF, Merckx, VeloGirl, Jamsque, Angliru, and a couple others who no longer post. However, ElChingon somehow has us beat, having registered on the 9th. I can't find anyone else before that (not including staff).

Many of the other regulars you know trickled in within a week or two.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
The forum here came to life on 3-2-09, but only Dan Benson (Tsar of CyclingNews) seems to have registered on that day. Susan and other staff were added on the 5th. I believe it took a day or two before it was open to everyone, as the very first thread was on 3-10-09, the same day I registered, along with TFF, Merckx, VeloGirl, Jamsque, Angliru, and a couple others who no longer post. However, ElChingon somehow has us beat, having registered on the 9th. I can't find anyone else before that (not including staff).

Many of the other regulars you know trickled in within a week or two.

Dude, I am a patriarch!! This is the single greatest achievement of my life...anyone have any sleeping pills???

BTW, I was banned very shortly thereafter permanently...then by some strange occurrence, my ban was lifted a couple of months later.

Christian said:
I must not be very interesting: 1,577 posts and 1,648 visits to my profile :(

Was the forum started in March 2009? That seems to be about the farthest back that most people have signed up. Including me, funnily enough - I thought I had been reading the forum for a while before joining in. Maybe I'd already signed up, but as inactive. I also always assumed that the most frequent posters were on here long before I was, but I guess not!

It would be interesting to see some statistics regarding the "big boys" (3,000 posts and up) on the forum, and who signed up when.

Maybe that is not bad, Christian. I always figured one got more visits when you said something that fired up some trouble or controversy. ;)

There are definitely some alpha-types on here or 'leaders' , and I always find it interesting that people's personalities seem to show through in only the written word...:)

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
That probably makes some sense. I present: TFF, who has a whopping 6,200 visits from others. ;)

Meanwhile, I found out the forum was born on 2-27-09. Though no one could post on that day.

I am moving in on 8000 posts. I really want a 1 to 1 ratio of posts to visits. I guess I need to be a bit more provocative in the near future????:D

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I am moving in on 8000 posts. I really want a 1 to 1 ratio of posts to visits. I guess I need to be a bit more provocative in the near future????:D

1994 visits, 867 posts - that's greater than a 2:1 ratio! Quality not quantity TFF. :p