• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

74th Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne: 27 February, 2022

On the second day of the opening weekend the cycling gods created Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne. This year this race has been redesigned. The Kwaremont is out, but thirteen climbs and four cobbled sectors should make it selective enough, although a strong sprinter can also win after the flat local lap. They start at 12.05 PM in Kuurne for a distance of 195 km. The finish is expected around 5 PM.

Climbs:
  1. Tiegemberg (178 km)
  2. Kattenberg (160 km)
  3. Boembeek (139 km)
  4. Bossenaarstraat (120 km)
  5. Berg Ten Houte (117 km)
  6. La Houppe (110 km)
  7. Hameau des Papin (92 km)
  8. Le Bourliquet (83 km)
  9. Mont Saint-Laurent (78 km)
  10. Kruisberg (68 km)
  11. Hotond (67 km)
  12. Côte du Trieu (60 km)
  13. Kluisberg (52 km)
Cobbled sectors:
**Holleweg 159 km
**Gieterijstraat 122 km
**Etikhovestraat 122 km
**Beerbosstraat 38 km

Recent winners:
2014 Tom Boonen
2015 Mark Cavendish
2016 Jasper Stuyven
2017 Peter Sagan
2018 Dylan Groenewegen
2019 Bob Jungels
2020 Kasper Asgreen
2021 Mads Pedersen

Let's hope for another titillating race!

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of riders say that the parcours change made it significantly harder. Hills are harder than the ones in Omloop and there's a tailwind towards Kuurne. I can see Quick Step going aggressive with that team even tho they have Jakobsen.

Yes, with this line-up a sprint is likely. Ewan, Jakobsen and Merlier; perhaps Coquard or Nizzolo.

Hopefully a couple of teams and other riders will want a harder race or at least will try. If it still comes together or end up being a reduced sprint riders like Stuyven, Kristoff, GVA, Naesen, Colbrelli, Pidcock and Aranburu could very will get a win here.

The sprinters could probably make the final selection but it will be more of a chaotic sprint than a normal lead-out.

Could be a fun race. It was a good race yesterday. Hoping for the same here.

PARCOURS-2022-Elite-def-03.jpg

jxfI1Sp.png

I very much hope Jakobsen will win this race. Since his crash in Poland 2020, in each race he does (and suits the sprinters), I hope he wins. I guess, for me, this will never change. I just cannot be a fan of another sprinter any more, when Fabio is at the startline.

So for today, I hope it‘s Jakobsen-Ewan for 1-2… Ewan also is a great sprinter and a great person. :)

I very much hope Jakobsen will win this race. Since his crash in Poland 2020, in each race he does (and suits the sprinters), I hope he wins.

And how amazing is that!?
We have, in a relative short time - when considering the severity of his injuries - gone from just hoping he'd survive, to thinking that maybe - through a miracle - he could become a pro cyclist again, to actually consider him a realistic favourite in races.

And how amazing is that!?
We have, in a relative short time - when considering the severity of his injuries - gone from just hoping he'd survive, to thinking that maybe - through a miracle - he could become a pro cyclist again, to actually consider him a realistic favourite in races.

Actually crazy. Dude went from the brink of death to one of the best sprinters in all of cycling within half a year basically. I'm so happy whenever he crosses the line in first place. Not just because I was always a Quickstep supporter but also because of his backstory!

I don't get why LTS opted for Ewan but then didn't give him one out of Campenaerts, Vermeersch or Van Moer to help him out. I wouldn't be surprised if he survives but doesn't have teammates left (maybe De Buyst). Their team isn't strong here. Complete opposite to QS.

TRENDING THREADS