• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

97th Liège-Bastogne-Liège 2011

97th Liège-Bastogne-Liège 2011

Seeing as the other monuments so far have had a thread a week early..

CARTE.gif

PROFIL.gif

(Bigger profile + map should be available nearer Sunday)

1zy7r49.png

2000 Paolo Bettini (ITA) Mapei-Quickstep
2001 Oscar Camenzind (SUI) Lampre-Daikin
2002 Paolo Bettini (ITA) Mapei-Quickstep
2003 Tyler Hamilton (USA) Team CSC
2004 Davide Rebellin (ITA) Gerolsteiner
2005 Alexandre Vinokourov (KAZ) T-Mobile Team
2006 Alejandro Valverde (ESP) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
2007 Danilo Di Luca (ITA) Liquigas
2008 Alejandro Valverde (ESP) Caisse d'Epargne
2009 Andy Schleck (LUX) Team Saxo Bank

1 Alexandre Vinokourov (KAZ) Astana 6h 37' 48"
2 Alexandr Kolobnev (RUS) Team Katusha + 6"
3 Philippe Gilbert (BEL) Omega Pharma-Lotto + 1' 04"
4 Cadel Evans (AUS) BMC Racing Team + 1' 04"
5 Andy Schleck (LUX) Team Saxo Bank + 1' 07"
6 Igor Antón (ESP) Euskaltel-Euskadi + 1' 07"
7 Chris Horner (USA) Team RadioShack + 1' 07"
8 Frank Schleck (LUX) Team Saxo Bank + 1' 07"
9 Alberto Contador (ESP) Astana + 1' 07"
10 Thomas Voeckler (FRA) Bbox Bouygues Telecom + 1' 18"

STARTLIST

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually Vinokourov has probably only been good once in the AGR (2003), I don't think he ever made the first group (if there was any selection) in any edition after that. LBL suits him much more, although I don't think he is good enough to win either (but I thought that last year as well :eek:).

Would like to see Kolobnev win, man does that guy deserve a big win.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
Actually Vinokourov has probably only been good once in the AGR (2003), I don't think he ever made the first group (if there was any selection) in any edition after that. LBL suits him much more, although I don't think he is good enough to win either (but I thought that last year as well :eek:).

Would like to see Kolobnev win, man does that guy deserve a big win.

True that, but I still wan't phille to take it more :p

A

Anonymous

Details of the climbs are wrong. Should be like Below.

Final climb is 5k from the end, and no cote de niy

1zy7r49.png

I see the attempts to overtake my PR greatest race thread ever title now involve starting race threads a week early, before the previous stage has even begun ;)

I knew Gilbert would win Amstel and he deserved it but im hoping for someone other than Gilbert here. If he wins it in style though, Ill be happy.

Its difficult to see who can stop him though. No Valverde. Cunego and Killer off form. Vino a year older. Rodriguez, I cant see it.

Oh yes, that Euska superpatnership can do something. Anton and Samu in the same race. Wow. Samu is nowhere near good enough atm to do it but with Anton on the team he can (or otherway round).

Also if Killer can improve then Katusha have a great chance. On Amstel and Fleche it dont matter so much having 3 favourites there because it comes down to a sprint. But in Liuk that is one super team.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Also if Killer can improve then Katusha have a great chance. On Amstel and Fleche it dont matter so much having 3 favourites there because it comes down to a sprint. But in Liuk that is one super team.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, but Di Luca. God I'd hate it if he'd win

Buffalo Soldier said:
Gilber says LBL suits him better than AGR.
I'd doubt that though...

How can he think that? AGR is ideal for him, almost the perfect race.

L-B-L he will be alone, and having to defend against many attacks. Even if he is in the front (very small) group at St Nick, and drops everyone, he will probably not be able to ride solo to the end. Just like last year when he dropped Piti and Evans.

So unless he's clearly stronger than the other major contenders, it will be a tougher one to win.

Ferminal said:
How can he think that? AGR is ideal for him, almost the perfect race.

L-B-L he will be alone, and having to defend against many attacks. Even if he is in the front (very small) group at St Nick, and drops everyone, he will probably not be able to ride solo to the end. Just like last year when he dropped Piti and Evans.

So unless he's clearly stronger than the other major contenders, it will be a tougher one to win.
That's true, but he is really just impossibly strong right now. Maybe he has even peaked a little too early (I don't think so though). Freire said his Amstel win was the most impressive thing he'd ever seen. And he should know, he was in Gilbert's wheel, after all.

When you have the capacity to wait for the sprint, chase down attacks and win the sprint, or attack yourself, and you're the best at all of those options, I really don't see Gilbert losing this. And he deserves the win in his dream race.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
That's true, but he is really just impossibly strong right now. Maybe he has even peaked a little too early (I don't think so though). Freire said his Amstel win was the most impressive thing he'd ever seen. And he should know, he was in Gilbert's wheel, after all.

When you have the capacity to wait for the sprint, chase down attacks and win the sprint, or attack yourself, and you're the best at all of those options, I really don't see Gilbert losing this. And he deserves the win in his dream race.

I'm starting to like Freire. The things he says lately are just crazy. He always speaks his mind.

Buffalo Soldier said:
Gilber says LBL suits him better than AGR.
I'd doubt that though...
Last 3 years you get the idea that Amstel Gold Race is tailor made for him and it's proven now.

But LBL? I don't think it suits him better. LBL allows for more tactical racing. It isn't an advantage. Last year he was the strongest in LBL on the Saint Nicolas but still couldn't win because of Vino's move for instance.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Since Cote de la Roche aux Faucons was introduced in 2008 it is decisive every year. The tactics is simple - you can let the breakaway go at Cote dela Redoute but if you've lost the attack at the Cote de la Roche aux Faucons (or a bit after, like Vino) you've lost the race. I don't think Gilbert will do the same mistake this year but anything can happen.

luckyboy said:
Seeing as the other monuments so far have had a thread a week early..
1 Alexandre Vinokourov (KAZ) Astana 6h 37' 48"
2 Alexandr Kolobnev (RUS) Team Katusha + 6"
3 Philippe Gilbert (BEL) Omega Pharma-Lotto + 1' 04"
4 Cadel Evans (AUS) BMC Racing Team + 1' 04"
5 Andy Schleck (LUX) Team Saxo Bank + 1' 07"
6 Igor Antón (ESP) Euskaltel-Euskadi + 1' 07"
7 Chris Horner (USA) Team RadioShack + 1' 07"
8 Frank Schleck (LUX) Team Saxo Bank + 1' 07"
9 Alberto Contador (ESP) Astana + 1' 07"
10 Thomas Voeckler (FRA) Bbox Bouygues Telecom + 1' 18"

Man Cadel was in the form of his life last yr. Pity he cannot contend F-W, anyone know if he might be avaliable for this.

I hope Leopard can get a win eventually, maybe getting Fuglsang on the top JVS style.

Think Gilbert, Schleck's and Vino are favourites.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
Man Cadel was in the form of his life last yr. Pity he cannot contend F-W, anyone know if he might be avaliable for this.

I hope Leopard can get a win eventually, maybe getting Fuglsang on the top JVS style.

Think Gilbert, Schleck's and Vino are favourites.

even if he was he, the fact he missed fw and agr suggest he wouldn't be any good or in form just a couple days later.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
even if he was he, the fact he missed fw and agr suggest he wouldn't be any good or in form just a couple days later.

Last I heard, Evans will miss both the Ardenne races and compete next in the Tour of Romandie. LBL is a long difficult race and he would not be in shape to win it as you said. Plus BMC don't have another serious contender he could ride in support of. Could not see a BMC rider making the the podium.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I see the attempts to overtake my PR greatest race thread ever title now involve starting race threads a week early, before the previous stage has even begun ;)

I knew Gilbert would win Amstel and he deserved it but im hoping for someone other than Gilbert here. If he wins it in style though, Ill be happy.

Its difficult to see who can stop him though. No Valverde. Cunego and Killer off form. Vino a year older. Rodriguez, I cant see it.

Oh yes, that Euska superpatnership can do something. Anton and Samu in the same race. Wow. Samu is nowhere near good enough atm to do it but with Anton on the team he can (or otherway round).

Andy Schleck.

I'd be surprised if the winner isn't Andy, Gilbert or Joaquim Rodriguez.

No one is going to beat Gilbert at the sprint in Luik by the way.

TRENDING THREADS