• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A Tough Situation for the Giro

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
not that it matters, but I find myself caring little about the entire race now.

it is just so sad...

This exactly, I hardly care about the race anymore and I dont want to think of the Crostis.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
This exactly, I hardly care about the race anymore and I dont want to think of the Crostis.

It would be tactless in my opnion if they didn't re-route that stage at the least.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
actually to respect his memory as a bike RACER, racing is the best thing they could do
The day after Fabio Casartelli died, the race was neutralized. All of the prize money was donated to his family. Motorola continued in the race in his honor, and a young Lance Armstrong won a stage.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I believe that the Wouter Memorial thread should be about Wouter, not the Giro.
So I think a seperate thread about how to continue the Giro might be better.

That said, how should the Giro handle the upcoming stages?

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
How many times did we all as cyclist had those close calls. Falling in front of cars, over the road barriers and risking our lives for reasons others could not understand.
Sometimes not even for a win, but just to finish a race, for a thrill of life, joy of pure exhaustion, that special sensation we get while riding and when we complete something that is far beyond what we though was within our limits. We would just get up, if not harmed, and laugh if off. Get on, and continue till the end. We get used to it. Its a price we pay for the thing we do.

With its specific dangers, unique in modern times, cycling is far more than a sport. Its the way of life. Take it just as a job and you will have a miserable life. Take it as a life and you could complete yourself as an individual.

Hope Wouter did the later.

Sad moment, beyond any words. I hope he didn't suffer to much...

ps. If someone thinks this is unappropriated, please delete it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I said this in the other thread, not that it matters, but this has probably ruined the giro for me. I of course understand the race must continue, but I find myself personally detached from the race after this event. It is devistating. And I find myself not wishing to think about competitive racing at the moment.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Clearly tomorrow should be ridden in memory of Weylandt (cf - Casartelli, Simpson).

Leopard rider to be sent on ahead to take the win + all prize money to be donated to the family would seem to be the appropriate course of action.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
There's simply no correct response to this, whatever his teammates and the whole peloton decide to do will be understandable and we must respect it.

I agree. No "right" thing to do. People grieve differently. Some will want to race hard in his honour and others won't want to ride their bikes at all. They will find a way to honour him and the race.

balkou said:
Neutralize tomorrow's stage won't be a surprise. Leopard-Trek withdrawing won't be either.

Yeah, suppose they might go on, a la Motorola 1995 but it wouldnt be a surprise if they withdraw.

The Crostis climb and descent involves a big loop. If the organisers decide that climb would be best avoided now then its quite easy for them, just involves shortening the stage by 40km or finding another climb to do before the Zoncolan.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/giro-ditalia-his/stage-14

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The festival in May is over now.

It's not a solution to stop racing now, but also no more reasons to enjoy and celebrate something.

I hope Zomegan.....takes the right decisions and avoids any unnecessary dangers on the course.
It can happen anywhere and anytime, I know - but it would be the right sign to, for example, cancel the Crostis (decent), and choose safety over spectacle and madness.

Not sure if Leopard should pull out of the Giro. Its their decision and I will accept it.

TRENDING THREADS