• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AG2R Cryotherapy Recuperation

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ag2r-using-cryotherapy-for-tour-de-france

The French team AG2R-La Mondiale will use cryotherapy to help enhance recovery during the Tour de France, the squad announced today.

Riders will endure three minutes in a special whole body suit, pioneered by Tec4H, which is filled with liquid nitrogen at -150 degrees Celsius.

This struck me as something interesting. I wonder how much benefit it will give, especially over three weeks.

And -150°C sounds pretty unbearable for three minutes.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I take it, the suit has some sort of insulation between the liquid nitrogen @-150 C. So then the inner face of the insulation in contact with skin would be at a lower temperature. Sounds a bit scary, what if the suit leaks and skin gets in contact with liquid nitrogen?

Ice bath sounds safer

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Is this not the same thing that Alberto Salazar uses for Nike sponsored runners?
I seem to recall reading something like this treatment (in the last year) in which the runners would stand (or lie down) and then their bodies are flash frozen for X amount of time.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
indurain666
I take it, the suit has some sort of insulation between the liquid nitrogen @-150 C. So then the inner face of the insulation in contact with skin would be at a lower temperature. Sounds a bit scary, what if the suit leaks and skin gets in contact with liquid nitrogen?
+1

The journalists must have got this one wrong. 3 minutes at -150ºC would be deadly.

These suits may use liquid nitrogen, but it's hard to imagine a person being held at that temperature for 3 minutes.

From experience, 3 seconds in contact with something that cold will cause minor damage to the skin.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Too lazy to look it up, but I am pretty sure machines like this use quick bursts of cold over a 3 minute period.

Something like 3 seconds of cold 10 seconds off, etc.

Liquid nitrogen on your skin for less than 5 seconds will induce burns. 3 minutes exposure will turn you into one big blister. There has to be an insulating layer, but why not just dunk into an ice bath or pour a cold water bottle over your head. As indurain666 said, there is a potential for a nasty accident to happen (think of whole sections of skin sliding off...)

Now, the cold air coming off liquid nitrogen is absolute heaven (I say this as I work in a very hot/humid place and get to use nitrogen everyday). If there is a micro-perforated layer between the liquid nitrogen and the skin, that would be lovely.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
It looks like Contador may already be using it.

x610.jpg

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
nfmcgrath said:
Is this not the same thing that Alberto Salazar uses for Nike sponsored runners?
I seem to recall reading something like this treatment (in the last year) in which the runners would stand (or lie down) and then their bodies are flash frozen for X amount of time.
Surgical Doping Thread
krebs303 said:
Athletes freeze their bodies to -275 degrees to get an edge
Using a machine called a Cryosauna, the athlete stands in a tube filled with nitrogen gas at -275 degrees Fahrenheit for two minutes, causing blood to rush towards their vital organs.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
It looks like Contador may already be using it.

x610.jpg

is this from the 2011 Pirelli Cameltoe edition calendar?

Armstrong only sacrificed 1 testicle for his quest to increase his power to weight ratio. Pistolero underwent a mannequin merkin so he suffers from priape envy and needs to shoot his pistolero on conquering the mountain to compensate!

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
FFS people, it's nothing more than a pre-emptive smokescreen to explain some better than reasonably expected results this July. Cadence anyone???

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Cryotherapy

We run a Cryotherapy clinic in Sydney Australia, the treatment is being clinically trialled at the moment @Nike HQ in USA, with Olympic distance runners. It works in a different physiological way to an ice bath, your haemoglobin actually increases 24-72 hrs after therapy. Essentially your brain is tricked into survival, by passing the shivering mechanism in most people. Hope this helps....:rolleyes:

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Cryolab said:
We run a Cryotherapy clinic in Sydney Australia, the treatment is being clinically trialled at the moment @Nike HQ in USA, with Olympic distance runners. It works in a different physiological way to an ice bath, your haemoglobin actually increases 24-72 hrs after therapy. Essentially your brain is tricked into survival, by passing the shivering mechanism in most people. Hope this helps....:rolleyes:

Ah, I can see it already.

"I have never touched PEDs, I'm only a 9 because my new cryo recovery".

(Altiitude was so last year).

TRENDING THREADS