Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1940 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 13, 2015
165
0
0
ALL (HISTORY already)

TIME TRIALS ALBERTO CONTADOR in
Vuelta a España:

2008 / Stage 4 - Ciudad Real (42 Kms.) - 4th place
2008 / Stage 19ª - Alto de Navacerrada (17 Kms.) - 2nd place

2012 / Stage 11ª - Pontevedra (39.4 Kms.) - 2nd place (Froome 3º)

2014 / Stage 10ª - Borja (36,7 Kms.) - 4th place (Froome 10th)

2016 / Stage 19ª - Calp (37 Kms.) - 8th place (Froome 1º)

2017 / Stage 16ª - Logroño (40.2 Kms.) 5th place (Froome 1º)

This is regularity and class!!
Contador for Ever!
 
Re:

Puccini said:
ALL (HISTORY already)

TIME TRIALS ALBERTO CONTADOR in
Vuelta a España:

2008 / Stage 4 - Ciudad Real (42 Kms.) - 4th place
2008 / Stage 19ª - Alto de Navacerrada (17 Kms.) - 2nd place

2012 / Stage 11ª - Pontevedra (39.4 Kms.) - 2nd place (Froome 3º)

2014 / Stage 10ª - Borja (36,7 Kms.) - 4th place (Froome 10th)

2016 / Stage 19ª - Calp (37 Kms.) - 8th place (Froome 1º)

2017 / Stage 16ª - Logroño (40.2 Kms.) 5th place (Froome 1º)

This is regularity and class!!
Contador for Ever!
And today didn't really suit him either. Many of the other time trials were hilly and medium length

edit: Just realized you left the last ITT of 2014 out (albeit for a good reason - it was rainy and with stretches of cobbles that day, right?)
 
Re: Re:

Carols said:
wheresmybrakes said:
Carols said:
“I don’t attack just to make the public happy,” Contador said. “I do it because that’s the way I race. It’s based on my form at the moment, on the conditions of the race. Maybe the smart thing to do is ride more conservatively, and to try to finish fourth or fifth or third or eighth, and limit the losses. But that way of racing is not for me.”

“I’m proud to hear the fans yell out, ‘Gracias, Alberto!’ I hear it over and over again, and that can only mean that they’ve enjoyed watching the racing,” Contador said. “I couldn’t have chosen a better place to retire. On these climbs, when your legs are really hurting, you see a sign and hear the shouts, and it’s like a present for me.”

Contador has only known one way to race. He’s not going to change now.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/vuelta-a-espana/contador-doesnt-regret-final-vuelta-hail-mary_447317#MWWtwZ36SK4s372k.99
Death or Glory, Lionhearted; the only way the man wants to do to!
As much as his riding style is admired by his fans, I do wonder what he could have won if he had rode more sensibly (and with a better team maybe). Yes, you could say that what he has won, has been won by riding more aggressive, but his losses way outnumber his wins and he could have won more by riding more conservatively. But as he says that's the way he rides and he was unable/didn't want to change his ways. During this Vuelta, I do think he is riding for his fans knowing deep down he wouldn't be able to compete for the win (podium yes(imo)) after what happened in the Tour and so he can go out with a bang giving his fans something to remember him by when he hangs his wheels up. Such a shame what happened in Andorra and we will never know what could have been. Maybe another Vuelta with his admired aggressive riding.
Conservatively is Not how Legends and Champions think...simple really.
While this romantic notion sounds nice it is untrue. There is nothing conservative about Sky, Discovery/Postal and to a lesser extent Moviestar. They broke the old traditions of cycling that AC is clinging to. Possibly to his own detriment as he and his teams never adapted.
 
May 13, 2015
165
0
0
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Puccini said:
ALL (HISTORY already)

TIME TRIALS ALBERTO CONTADOR in
Vuelta a España:


2008 / Stage 4 - Ciudad Real (42 Kms.) - 4th place
2008 / Stage 19ª - Alto de Navacerrada (17 Kms.) - 2nd place

2012 / Stage 11ª - Pontevedra (39.4 Kms.) - 2nd place (Froome 3º)

2014 / Stage 10ª - Borja (36,7 Kms.) - 4th place (Froome 10th)

2016 / Stage 19ª - Calp (37 Kms.) - 8th place (Froome 1º)

2017 / Stage 16ª - Logroño (40.2 Kms.) 5th place (Froome 1º)

This is regularity and class!!
Contador for Ever!
And today didn't really suit him either. Many of the other time trials were hilly and medium length

edit: Just realized you left the last ITT of 2014 out (albeit for a good reason - it was rainy and with stretches of cobbles that day, right?)
So is...
Let nobody forget that in the last round of the Tour de France finished 6th and marked the best time (next to Kiato) in the intermediate point. :) :)
 
May 13, 2015
165
0
0
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Puccini said:
ALL (HISTORY already)

TIME TRIALS ALBERTO CONTADOR in
Vuelta a España:

2008 / Stage 4 - Ciudad Real (42 Kms.) - 4th place
2008 / Stage 19ª - Alto de Navacerrada (17 Kms.) - 2nd place

2012 / Stage 11ª - Pontevedra (39.4 Kms.) - 2nd place (Froome 3º)

2014 / Stage 10ª - Borja (36,7 Kms.) - 4th place (Froome 10th)

2016 / Stage 19ª - Calp (37 Kms.) - 8th place (Froome 1º)

2017 / Stage 16ª - Logroño (40.2 Kms.) 5th place (Froome 1º)

This is regularity and class!!
Contador for Ever!
And today didn't really suit him either. Many of the other time trials were hilly and medium length

edit: Just realized you left the last ITT of 2014 out (albeit for a good reason - it was rainy and with stretches of cobbles that day, right?)
Yes....In fact .... it rained, there were cobblestones and the timing was very short and its difference was great.This time only had 9 km and I have not considered it.
 
May 13, 2015
165
0
0
No one mentions and everyone forgets the stage of Santo Toribio (Collada de Carmona, de la Hoz and Ozalba) :razz: :razz:
 
Sep 10, 2016
32
0
0
Cantpedal may be right that there is nothing conservative about the way team Sky etcetera ride but I find it suffocating to watch- i am so bored of Froome and his Sky sandwich (with him as the cream cheese filling), I shall miss Contador, maybe how he rides isn't always wise but what makes someone want to ride in the first place- surely not the thought of being a team robot? I shall miss Contador's panache - Froome will never be able to level the score aesthetically- he rarely even looks like he is enjoying being on a bicycle- at least Contador looks like he loves it . Any race with Contador and Nibali is usually more interesting...
and yes I know it is big business...sponsers , brands etcetera etcetera...
 
Re: Re:

cantpedal said:
Carols said:
wheresmybrakes said:
Carols said:
“I don’t attack just to make the public happy,” Contador said. “I do it because that’s the way I race. It’s based on my form at the moment, on the conditions of the race. Maybe the smart thing to do is ride more conservatively, and to try to finish fourth or fifth or third or eighth, and limit the losses. But that way of racing is not for me.”

“I’m proud to hear the fans yell out, ‘Gracias, Alberto!’ I hear it over and over again, and that can only mean that they’ve enjoyed watching the racing,” Contador said. “I couldn’t have chosen a better place to retire. On these climbs, when your legs are really hurting, you see a sign and hear the shouts, and it’s like a present for me.”

Contador has only known one way to race. He’s not going to change now.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/vuelta-a-espana/contador-doesnt-regret-final-vuelta-hail-mary_447317#MWWtwZ36SK4s372k.99
Death or Glory, Lionhearted; the only way the man wants to do to!
As much as his riding style is admired by his fans, I do wonder what he could have won if he had rode more sensibly (and with a better team maybe). Yes, you could say that what he has won, has been won by riding more aggressive, but his losses way outnumber his wins and he could have won more by riding more conservatively. But as he says that's the way he rides and he was unable/didn't want to change his ways. During this Vuelta, I do think he is riding for his fans knowing deep down he wouldn't be able to compete for the win (podium yes(imo)) after what happened in the Tour and so he can go out with a bang giving his fans something to remember him by when he hangs his wheels up. Such a shame what happened in Andorra and we will never know what could have been. Maybe another Vuelta with his admired aggressive riding.
Conservatively is Not how Legends and Champions think...simple really.
While this romantic notion sounds nice it is untrue. There is nothing conservative about Sky, Discovery/Postal and to a lesser extent Moviestar. They broke the old traditions of cycling that AC is clinging to. Possibly to his own detriment as he and his teams never adapted.
What exactly is it that Sky is doing that is so revolutionary? Contador is doing what best serves his goals and his present declining state of form due to age. Old traditions? Attacking his rivals earlier than the current standard of 2 km to go? It seems that Contador's method is the only one that disrupts the juggernaut that is the Sky mountain train. While the rest of the gc rivals are content to take their butt whoopins like happy submissives, you have Contador who at least is willing to take risks.

What old traditions have they broken? They have what appears to be the strongest rider backed by the strongest team so every thing they do seems like some type of tactical revolution/genius, especially when the opposing teams ride in lockstep, content with their station in this hierarchy.
 
Re: Re:

Matteo. said:
RedheadDane said:
Matteo. said:
As his last ITT, he achieves a great result.
Added yet another top-10 to the most top-10s without a win competition. :cool:
:lol:
However without the Andorra virus( and a more cautions behavior), he would fight for the podium.
After the giro 2015,he has never been so strong
A podium still ain't no win... (unless you win, of course.)
 
May 13, 2015
165
0
0
The race has not ended much less; and there are 4 important stages and not 2 as many think (the stages of Santo Toribio and Gijón can also be decisive) :) Refresh memories :)
 
May 13, 2015
165
0
0
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Matteo. said:
RedheadDane said:
Matteo. said:
As his last ITT, he achieves a great result.
Added yet another top-10 to the most top-10s without a win competition. :cool:
:lol:
However without the Andorra virus( and a more cautions behavior), he would fight for the podium.
After the giro 2015,he has never been so strong
A podium still ain't no win... (unless you win, of course.)

In the Great Tours as we know Contador has only used the podium to climb to the first place .... for 10 years and 9 times at the highest. :) :)
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
well i think that Tomorrow Contador will do nothing relevant , i think he wants to leave a mark in the last true stage of his career
 
Mar 8, 2014
739
0
0
What an effort today! After all those years he is still able to be in contention with some of the best GT riders in the world. I would be more than happy with a top 5 and a stage win, although it is probably unlikely
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY