• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amateur 6 Days?

It's invitation-only, I guess.
I was at the Copenhagen Sixdays, and even the 12-year-olds all had names like Mørkøv, Kreutzfeldt etc - well-known Danish track riders. I think you have to at least be in a track cycling club to be considered.
The UIV Cup (U23) was with riders who were junior world champions, other international riders, and some Danish espoirs.

So probably not what you're looking for.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there is any velodrome in the world that you can walk into and race a madison, it's all about contacts, proving yourself a competent rider to the race organizer at whatever level, from the local club race to the Zesdaagse van Gent, it's all about who you know, what you have done, and if you have paid your dues. but it is well worth the time and effort, the madison is the most fun you can have racing a bike.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
6-day's are track races that take place over six successive nights between 12 (or so) 2-man teams. each night has a series of different races that slightly changes between venues. There is always a madison, along with miss 'n outs (elimination, devil), derny (motor-paced), team sprints, Australian pursuits, etc. Points are awarded for top placings in all races and you accumulate points all week, if you gain a lap in any race, that takes priority over points for the lead.
It is hard, fast, tactical racing for endurance track riders with some leg speed.
100 years ago 6-days were actually ridden for 6 straight days. One rider would be sleeping while the other was racing, he would wake up, get on his bike, get slung in and the other guy would go rest for a few hours. 6-days have always been a party, 100 years ago until now, lot's of beer, bad music, dj's, dancing girls, cigar smoke, back room deals, truely a classic institution that we are in danger of losing. many famous 6-days have folded because of lack of ticket sales/media interest and a few more have cut back to 4 days of racing. sad
Support 6-day racing!