• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Appropriate punishment

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Been thinking about this one a while. What would appropriate punishment look like for drug cheat confessors? i dont belive in amnesty per se, abut life ban seems excessive in some cases, when the rider might be rehab-able and has expressed a sincere apology. One thought is some kind of community service, to put back in something to the sport and community. But the service should have to include the team too, rather than just allowing individual riders to be hung out to dry. It's rare that there isn't a corrupt doctor or DS behind the errant athlete. And lets face it, the young insitutionalised athlete hasnt got a lot of life skills to draw on to resist these older stronger charismatic figures that call the shots (no pun intended) in their lives (arms) (sorry).
But i digress, what type of service, what type of ban from competiton, what kind of fine? I was thinking we could hook these guys up to power generators and have them pedal away to make electricity for our cities. It could be a way to remediate the effects of climate change and perhaps make cycling carbon neutral, whilst keeping the guys fit for their return to fair competition. There's currently more confessions coming out than youd find in a dvd box set of Father Ted episodes, so the boys could probably power the whole of Switzerland for
three years.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Increased whereabouts monitoring and testing, which would be a pain in the as$ and would go some way to preventing them doing the same again

OR a ban from the WT?

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have long since thought that they should make doping an aggravated offence if you dont name who you bought the gear from, and who within your team knew about it. 5 years for keeping quiet, 2 for giving all the information. This should also apply to team managers, soigneurs, doctors, mechanics and all team personel. They should also consider termination of Pro Tour licences. Some might say that this is unfair to clean riders unfortunately caught up but the answer to that - dont ride for a dirty team.

When the Contador thing hit the fan I also thought that in the case of countries who are persistenly lenient towards their own riders ban them from competing in World Championships. Perhaps then certain countries like Spain might rethink their anti doping stance.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Actually I'm not adverse to lifetime bans in cases where guilt is CERTAIN, but idk if it ever is. As I said once before it would stop any 'Riccos' from clinging onto cycling until it almost killed them.

Sorry, O/T as I'm not talking about those who confess.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Life bans. Why? Because they aided the conspiracy till it was not beneficial for them. Based on that would they stand up for any other issue that comes up now?

TRENDING THREADS