Are drop handlebars better for your back?

Mar 2, 2020
Hello everyone,,
I’m relatively new to riding, and was lucky enough to be given an unused bike from my old work. It’s a flat bar, shimano gears, lightweight and good for road and trails. The greatest distance I’ve done so far is 30km.
I’m 178cm tall (5’10) and I feel like the bike is slightly too small. I’ve raised the seat and adjusted it back as far as possible. I’m about to start a daily 7km commute and I want to be comfortable - with my current set up I get minor low back pain towards the end of the ride.mobdro lucky patcher kodi
Would switching to a drop bar be an option? Do you have any other suggestions? I really don’t want to buy another bike ($ is tight).

Last edited:
Short answer, no, switching to drop bars is unlikely to make lower back pain go away, especially if the bike is too small for you. There's other issues with changes to drop bars, especially if a bike isn't actually designed for them, and unless you plan to keep the same brake levers and shifters you'll have to replace a lot of parts. If you do keep those parts you'll spend most of the time riding on the tops anyway and the dropbars would be redundant.

It's pretty hard to suggest anything without knowing how the bike actually fits you, but the most obvious thing to do would be Change the stem and raise the handle bars so your position is more upright.

Jul 5, 2018
It's pretty hard to suggest anything without knowing how the bike actually fits you, but the most obvious thing to do would be Change the stem and raise the handle bars so your position is more upright.
It is just as likely that lack of core strength and tight hamstrings are the root cause of back pain when new to riding. Obviously good position on the bike is going to help.

Yeah, there's a few things which could be causing the problem. Getting more upright will make a smaller bike less of a squash and hopefully help with a weak core if that's also an issue. Without seeing the rider and the bike it's about the best I could suggest as a starting point.

Reactions: GVFTA

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS