• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Armstrong can cause an upset, Hincapie says. The TdF AND this forum!

Mar 10, 2009
182
0
0
Visit site
Armstrong can cause an upset, Hincapie says

MONACO - Veteran rider George Hincapie helped Lance Armstrong win seven straight Tour de France titles and believes his old friend could surprise a lot of people this year.

Back competing after 3 1/2 years of retirement, Armstrong will start his first Tour since 2005 on Saturday, in the opening and difficult time trial in Monaco. Many cycling experts are writing him off. But not Hincapie.

"I think he has got very good possibilities," Hincapie said Friday. "He has trained very hard, he says he is feeling good. It's going to be exciting but I cannot predict what he will do. I wouldn't put anything past him."

"He is fit and feeling good, he is confident with the way his training and preparation have gone," Hincapie said. "He has started early (this season) and he is motivated."

Hincapie, who spent the greatest years of his career working for the 37-year-old cancer survivor, now rides for the Columbia-High Road team while Armstrong is with the Astana squad and using his comeback to raise awareness about cancer.

"I'm excited to see how he will do," said Hincapie. "He is the one guy that really doesn't have to be here, he is just doing it for a cause. I support his effort and I wish him the best."

Armstrong's main obstacle in his quest for an eighth Tour win is expected to be his teammate Alberto Contador, the 2007 champion considered the "clear-cut favourite" by Armstrong himself.

"I don't know (their relationship), but I assume it's good because they have to eat dinner everyday and every night, and breakfast, and they have to be in the same team, so it's important they have a good relationship and I assume they do," Hincapie said.

Hincapie, who won his only individual Tour stage in a mountain stage of the 2005 Tour, would love to add another line to his record before retiring in "another year or two."

"Last year I was close at one of the hardest mountain stages, I just messed up the descent a little bit, so if I'm in the right breakaway, I think it's definitely possible," he said.
 
Mar 18, 2009
981
0
0
Visit site
Hincapie should be thinking about his own teams chances not Armstrongs, as for an upset...time will tell, and for ****s sake can't someone put all the blah blah says Armstrong will win etc into one thread?
 
LMAO!!!

Seriously, who wrote that article?

Lance is currently 2nd best bet by oddsmakers to win the Tour (behind Contador). So for anyone to keep calling him an underdog, or say "experts/fans are writing him off", "if he win's it's a big upset" etc. is just being stupid, or not paying attention.

I watched the news tonight, this would be the nightly news, and sports news (ESPN, FSN). They mention that the Tour is starting tomorrow, and marks the comeback of 7-time winner Lance, going for an 8th win, with footage of him in the bg.

No mention of Contador, Sastre, or anyone else.

And people wonder why I don't want the guy to win.
 
Mar 18, 2009
981
0
0
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
LMAO!!!

Seriously, who wrote that article?

Lance is currently 2nd best bet by oddsmakers to win the Tour (behind Contador). So for anyone to keep calling him an underdog, or say "experts/fans are writing him off", "if he win's it's a big upset" etc. is just being stupid, or not paying attention.

I watched the news tonight, this would be the nightly news, and sports news (ESPN, FSN). They mention that the Tour is starting tomorrow, and marks the comeback of 7-time winner Lance, going for an 8th win, with footage of him in the bg.

No mention of Contador, Sastre, or anyone else.

And people wonder why I don't want the guy to win.

You aren't alone Alpé!

I have only heard or seen 2 mentions here in the news (Australia) about anyone else who is riding in TDF, and right now I am hoping for some sort of misfortune to happen for Mr Armstrong, cause quite frankly if I have to hear about how good he is all tour, it will do my head in!
 
msjett said:
You aren't alone Alpé!

I have only heard or seen 2 mentions here in the news (Australia) about anyone else who is riding in TDF, and right now I am hoping for some sort of misfortune to happen for Mr Armstrong, cause quite frankly if I have to hear about how good he is all tour, it will do my head in!

Whatever happened to, "May the best man win"?

With you guys it seems to be, "May the best man win, unless it's Lance. If the best man is Lance, then I hope the best man loses." :rolleyes:
 
Jun 23, 2009
95
0
0
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
Hincapie, who won his only individual Tour stage in a mountain stage of the 2005 Tour, would love to add another line to his record before retiring in "another year or two."

"Last year I was close at one of the hardest mountain stages, I just messed up the descent a little bit, so if I'm in the right breakaway, I think it's definitely possible," he said.

The LA thread is somewhere around here, but instead of turning this into everything else on this forum we should talk about Hincapie - guy is a ripper and I hope so bad that he gets a stage win! Go George!
 
Ninety5rpm said:
Whatever happened to, "May the best man win"?

With you guys it seems to be, "May the best man win, unless it's Lance. If the best man is Lance, then I hope the best man loses." :rolleyes:

Armstrong is a cancer on the sport. If he wins it will destroy all credibility in the fight against doping. It would be like Obama putting Donald Rumsfeld back in charge of the Defense Department. We will be right back where we were in 2003. It is not that I have any faith in Evans or Sastre or Vande Velde, but it is not as obvious with them. It is time to move away from Armstrong and his dirty generation.

It is also just plain bad business to base the promotion of the sport around one person and one event. It was disgraceful how OLN/Versus got rid of nearly all their cycling coverage except the Tour and round the clock coverage of Armstrong. They should have taken the opportunity to expand coverage and build a fanbase around the sport itself instead of feeding a personality cult.
 
Mar 18, 2009
981
0
0
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Whatever happened to, "May the best man win"?

With you guys it seems to be, "May the best man win, unless it's Lance. If the best man is Lance, then I hope the best man loses." :rolleyes:

The best man will win, this is not a one man or one team race as the press is making out, also I am tired of the reported arrogance of Armstrong. The reported fractures of Astana, there are other teams in this race there are other riders in this race, it is not the "Lance Armstrong Tour De France". I am tired of hearing about him, and the race hasn't even started. Quite frankly the only way we will hear less about him is if he has some sort of misfortune and can't ride!

I have had nothing against Armstrong until now....and now I have had enough and I am expressing my opinion about the subject. It's not about him winning or not winning, it's about wanting hear about what the other riders are saying or doing.
 
Mar 19, 2009
1,311
0
0
Visit site
Hey I liked Rumsfeld. :(

Lance will win the Tour this year unless he breaks his back or something. I wish Sastre would attack and beat Lances as$ back to Plano LOL. Sastre and Contradoper should bring their guns (.44s) and give Lance some in the back. LOL :) It wont be from the front. :(
 
BroDeal said:
It is not that I have any faith in Evans or Sastre or Vande Velde, but it is not as obvious with them. It is time to move away from Armstrong and his dirty generation.
Okay, that's a new one. I like that. So Armstrong symbolizes the supposed dark doping past of cycling, or at least not the bright and hopeful cleaner future of cycling.

Do you also believe that bike lanes make cycling in traffic safer?

BroDeal said:
They should have taken the opportunity to expand coverage and build a fanbase around the sport itself instead of feeding a personality cult.
Okay, personality cults can be annoying, but it's not like this guy was picked at random out of a hat. He did beat testicular cancer that had spread to his lungs and brain, and then won the Tour seven times in a row. Jacked up or not, that's quite a feat, and makes him one of the most distinctive human beings who has ever lived. That's just a simple fact. To expect or hope people who happen to be living at the same time to not be amazed is unrealistic.
 
Jun 26, 2009
276
1
0
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
LMAO!!!

Seriously, who wrote that article?

Lance is currently 2nd best bet by oddsmakers to win the Tour (behind Contador). So for anyone to keep calling him an underdog, or say "experts/fans are writing him off", "if he win's it's a big upset" etc. is just being stupid, or not paying attention.

I watched the news tonight, this would be the nightly news, and sports news (ESPN, FSN). They mention that the Tour is starting tomorrow, and marks the comeback of 7-time winner Lance, going for an 8th win, with footage of him in the bg.

No mention of Contador, Sastre, or anyone else.

And people wonder why I don't want the guy to win.

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo" ~ H.G.Wells, Novelist
 
Ninety5rpm said:
With you guys it seems to be, "May the best man win, unless it's Lance. If the best man is Lance, then I hope the best man loses." :rolleyes:

It's just amazing how you twist and spin every criticism to mean that anyone who is at all critical of Lance or wants someone else to win thus has a personal vendetta against the guy, or is a "Lance hater".

msjett - Be happy you didn't watch the Giro coverage in the US. No matter what happened on the course, one camera was almost always focused on Lance, letting us know where he was, no matter how far down he was, or even if he was doing nothing at all. He was covered often just as much as the leader on the road or GC. Tadej Valjavec, Marzio Bruseghin and David Arroyo, all finished ahead of Lance, and were hardly mentioned at all the entire race.

Wait, I just made a critical assessment regarding Lance. I must be a "Lance hater".
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
It's just amazing how you twist and spin every criticism to mean that anyone who is at all critical of Lance or wants someone else to win thus has a personal vendetta against the guy, or is a "Lance hater".
Oh right. It's an amazing stretch to interpret "I don't want the guy to win." and "I am hoping for some sort of misfortune to happen for Mr Armstrong" to mean "I hope he loses, even if he is the best man". :rolleyes:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Wait, I just made a critical assessment regarding Lance. I must be a "Lance hater".
No, critically assessing Lance does not make one a Lance hater. Pay attention. One wishing for Lance to lose makes that person a wisher for Lance to lose. Believe it or not, that's essentially all I said. How you read "Lance hater" stuff into that I don't know.
 
Jun 26, 2009
276
1
0
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Armstrong is a cancer on the sport. If he wins it will destroy all credibility in the fight against doping. It would be like Obama putting Donald Rumsfeld back in charge of the Defense Department. We will be right back where we were in 2003. It is not that I have any faith in Evans or Sastre or Vande Velde, but it is not as obvious with them. It is time to move away from Armstrong and his dirty generation.

It is also just plain bad business to base the promotion of the sport around one person and one event. It was disgraceful how OLN/Versus got rid of nearly all their cycling coverage except the Tour and round the clock coverage of Armstrong. They should have taken the opportunity to expand coverage and build a fanbase around the sport itself instead of feeding a personality cult.

Only an ignorant fool or a liberal Obama sychophant can't recognize the Donald Rumsfeld was ideal as Sec. Def. in the post 9-11 era. America needed a kicka$$ and take names later Sec. Def. The fact that in the 8 years post 9-11 America did not suffer another terrorist attack speaks volumes for the work Rumsfeld did as Sec. Def.
 
Ninety5rpm said:
Oh right. It's an amazing stretch to interpret "I don't want the guy to win." and "I am hoping for some sort of misfortune to happen for Mr Armstrong" to mean "I hope he loses, even if he is the best man". :rolleyes: .
Nice spin there. So, it's not possible that if Lance happens to lose, that he does because he's not the best man?

I never wrote those last two quotes you reference.

:rolleyes:
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
Nice spin there. So, it's not possible that if Lance happens to lose, that he does because he's not the best man?

I never wrote those last two quotes you reference.

:rolleyes:

Sorry. I misunderstood. So, you're okay with Lance winning if he is the best man, you're just hoping he's not the best man. Somehow I didn't get that from, "I don't want the guy to win."

I never attributed those two other quotes to you. I didn't even attribute the first quote to you (until now).
 
May 14, 2009
151
0
0
Visit site
byu123 said:
Only an ignorant fool or a liberal Obama sychophant can't recognize the Donald Rumsfeld was ideal as Sec. Def. in the post 9-11 era. America needed a kicka$$ and take names later Sec. Def. The fact that in the 8 years post 9-11 America did not suffer another terrorist attack speaks volumes for the work Rumsfeld did as Sec. Def.

Yes but how many people died in Irak?
 

TRENDING THREADS