• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong set to miss 2010 Giro

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Sorry if this has been posted already...

Lance Armstrong is set to miss next year's Giro d'Italia after announcing he will race in the Tour of California.

The California race starts on 16 May while the Giro, the world's second-biggest stage race, begins on 8 May.

The seven-time Tour de France winner finished 12th in this year's Giro as part of his comeback after three-and-a-half years in retirement.

Armstrong, 38, who raced for Astana this year, has set up the new RadioShack team for next season.

Next year's Tour of California boasts a new route and new dates to avoid the West Coast's wet winter weather after this year's race, which took place in February, featured wet and chilly conditions.

The full route for next year's Giro will be announced on Saturday but the race will begin in Amsterdam.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8322403.stm

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Would have much prefered him riding the Giro personally. (Not just because its in my time zone and on TV).

If he is going to win a GT again (cue people saying that can't happen) I think he would have a better chance of winning the Giro than the Tour.

Maybe this leaves the door open for the Velta?

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Sprocket01 said:
Would have much prefered him riding the Giro personally. (Not just because its in my time zone and on TV).

If he is going to win a GT again (cue people saying that can't happen) I think he would have a better chance of winning the Giro than the Tour.

Maybe this leaves the door open for the Velta?

Giro? Vuelta? Are we talking about the same Armstrong? Nope, Lance will ride the Tour, and only the Tour (of the GT). He doesn't want to win a GT, he wants to win the Tour. That's it.

I don't think that he has any chance anyway. There are many riders before him.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I agree, LA is strictly for The Tour as far as a GT win. ToC elevates US cycling to which he is a proponent (and I'm glad). Not sure if he can win The Tour again, but he EASILY got on the podium after a three year break and a fractured collarbone. What he brings to the table with more training and racing, I am happy to watch!

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Cogombre said:
? Nope, Lance will ride the Tour, and only the Tour (of the GT). He doesn't want to win a GT, he wants to win the Tour. That's it.

Yes I know he is all set on the ToF, but I think that's a shame. The riders who win the Giro are these days no where to be seen in the ToF, so if he really focused on it he could have a great chance. Take Contador and Schleck out of the picture and he would, fully fit (unlike this year) have to be one of the favourites.

To finish his career a winner of one of the other GTs would be the perfect way to go out.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Lifeshape said:
I agree, LA is strictly for The Tour as far as a GT win. ToC elevates US cycling to which he is a proponent (and I'm glad). Not sure if he can win The Tour again, but he EASILY got on the podium after a three year break and a fractured collarbone. What he brings to the table with more training and racing, I am happy to watch!
You have a different definition of "easily" than the one that appears in the dictionary I see.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the Shack is willing to accept anything less than the media focus of the tour. I can't say as I disagree that it would be something to see LA win another GT other than a tour. But that isn't good enough business for what he has signed into.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Sprocket01 said:
Yes I know he is all set on the ToF, but I think that's a shame. The riders who win the Giro are these days no where to be seen in the ToF, so if he really focused on it he could have a great chance. Take Contador and Schleck out of the picture and he would, fully fit (unlike this year) have to be one of the favourites.

To finish his career a winner of one of the other GTs would be the perfect way to go out.

I knew you were BPC when you referred you referred to the TdF as the ToF. Only poster on this site who did it apart from your current alias. You're at it again, pay some respect to the French and use "de" not "of".

The perfect way for Lance to go out in his book is in France wearing yellow.

Menchov was seen in the TdF. He won the Giro. Pellizotti and Sastre, second and third after DiLuca's positive were also seen. One of them won the KOM competition. Or did you forget this?

Lance riding the ToC was a no brainer. He was never going to ride the Giro again, not with the ToC on at the same time. When Levi confirmed the team would be behind him in California it was a done deal.

Lifeshape said:

It was alot of things, but easily would not be the word I'd use. Fortunate would be more apt.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
I knew you were BPC when you referred you referred to the TdF as the ToF. Only poster on this site who did it apart from your current alias. You're at it again, pay some respect to the French and use "de" not "of".

Boring.

It's no secret that I am BPC, and plenty of people use the ToF usage here. I got it from others. Moving along....

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Sprocket01 said:
Boring.

It's no secret that I am BPC, and plenty of people use the ToF usage here. I got it from others. Moving along....

You weren't admitting it at first. As for the boring bit, referring to the Tour de France as the Tour of France is the boring bit. I know it is hard to undo in one go all the years of illiteracy, but please do try. Also rehashing old news is boring. Lance was never going to race anywhere but California in May 2010.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Before this escalates I'd like to remind everyone to refrain from bashing flaming and all sorts of verbal abuse. Please stay on topic and discuss lance's racing schedule for 2010.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Before this escalates I'd like to remind everyone to refrain from bashing flaming and all sorts of verbal abuse. Please stay on topic and discuss lance's racing schedule for 2010.

True. Keep it in PMs.

I am curious as to RR's remarks that LA could still race the Giro after all. The BBC says he has announced he will race the Tour de California. ;) Is that wrong then? I will be happy if they are wrong but I wonder what the basis of this is?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Sprocket01 said:
True. Keep it in PMs.

I am curious as to RR's remarks that LA could still race the Giro after all. The BBC says he has announced he will race the Tour de California. ;) Is that wrong then? I will be happy if they are wrong but I wonder what the basis of this is?

who said Armstrong would race the Giro?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Sprocket01 said:
True. Keep it in PMs.

California is american by right. You don't have to take me seriously and use "de" for every race. Tour of California is fine. Tour de California is only cool if you are from frog and rooster territory, which doesn't cover you. How is Texas and western america this time of year?

He is racing in California. Shack don't have enough riders yet to do both the Giro and ToC. Lance will support Levi and then Levi will support Lance in France. Alliteration was not deliberate.

Kloden may race the Giro if the team gets enough riders for two squads. This is unlikely. Officially they are just short in numbers, unless they've been signing guys unannounced. Amgen are about the only guys left who will pay Lance to race in May. The RCS would pay him to stay away after this year and the Milan incident.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
California is american by right. You don't have to take me seriously and use "de" for every race. Tour of California is fine. Tour de California is only cool if you are from frog and rooster territory, which doesn't cover you. How is Texas and western america this time of year?

He is racing in California. Shack don't have enough riders yet to do both the Giro and ToC. Lance will support Levi and then Levi will support Lance in France. Alliteration was not deliberate.

Kloden may race the Giro if the team gets enough riders for two squads. This is unlikely. Officially they are just short in numbers, unless they've been signing guys unannounced. Amgen are about the only guys left who will pay Lance to race in May. The RCS would pay him to stay away after this year and the Milan incident.

So you think the plan is for LA to domestique for Levi, like he did last year during the Giro, and then Levi will have to support LA for the Tour.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Yep, as Levi said the other week at the race launch for the ToC he was coming back to win a fourth title. Lance is cool with a teammate winning another race, just leave the tour to him. I knew then for certain Lance would be in California.

Squad numbers are a mystery. Shack have only said about two dozen. They need twenty for their Pro-Tour license. They will get them and have the contracts signed, they just won't all be quality as 90% of the cheddar has been poached from Astana already. They will need them to help Levi win in California. Levi said he helped design the course that goes through his home town. The route also goes through Big Bear and has a monster climb. Weather in May, late spring, allows this, unlike February in winter.

Basically a harder course than last year, just for Lance's liking. Heck he may turn up for the Dauphine or Tour of Switzerland if he's game. But not the Giro. I'll be surprised if they send a squad there period, or get an invite. Also, Radioshack in the biggest American race. American non cycling enthusiasts don't about the Giro, they care about Lance. Talk by Lance about entertaining the idea of the Giro was just that. His way of being polite.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Absolutely no way that he rides the Vuelta. I just can't see it. Plus he'd likely really get spit on riding through Spain for 3 weeks.:p He's likely public enemy #1 in Spain.

if he's hated in spain then what about france. Why is he so hated in Spain? he should fit in with all the spainish riders;)
Anyway, lance never rides a full season so definetly not the vuelta

TRENDING THREADS