• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Arnaud De Lie’s Hips Don’t Lie Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
21/05 Veenendaal
22/05 Antwerp Port Classic
26/05 Circuit de Wallonie
29/05 Marcel Kint
04/06 Heistse Pijl
06/06 Ronde van Limburg
11/06 Dwars door het Hageland
26/06 Belgian Champs Middelkerke

So basically the expected schedule, does every smaller Belgian one day races apart from Brussel cycling classic (05/06, I guess they don't want him to do 3 in a row) and Elfstedenronde (12/06, maybe Ewan does this one before the Baloise Belgium Tour?). He will already be the teams leader for the Belgian champs as that will probably be a bunchsprint.

"We need you to farm all the small races cause our team recruitment is *** and we're otherwise gonna get relegated."

So we're going to pretend like this isn't a normal schedule for a just turned 20 year old Belgian sprinter/classic guy? Definitely at this time of the year. I don't see anything wrong with doing a lot of smaller one day races at his age. I would even say LTS made the mistake to let youngsters ride way to many big races in the past (especially their climbers because they just didn't have any smaller stage races on their schedule before last year).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
He's much faster than Boonen was at that age.
Well, it was a totally different era where young riders were much further away from a professional approach. For that generation's standards, Boonen was still really young when his dominance started. Nowadays juniors and espoirs are much better prepared and in general suffer a lot less from their switch to pro ranks.

Nevertheless, amazing debut season by De Lie of course.

Repost, apparently the 'reply' didn't work out before.

Well, it was a totally different era where young riders were much further away from a professional approach. For that generation's standards, Boonen was still really young when his dominance started. Nowadays juniors and espoirs are much better prepared and in general suffer a lot less from their switch to pro ranks.

Nevertheless, amazing debut season by De Lie of course.

Repost, apparently the 'reply' didn't work out before.
I'll put it differently. He's much more of a true sprinter than Boonen was at any age.

I'll put it differently. He's much more of a true sprinter than Boonen was at any age.
I think Arnaud also isn't a true sprinter, but more of a powerhouse. And on the other hand we just can't diminish Boonen as a sprinter, even if he wasn't the purest one. The amount of victories he captured in a bunch battle to the line is just telling, on all kinds of levels and in so many different races. De Lie still has to prove a lot in that regard.

To me they are very comparable, for now. We'll see of course. Either way he is an exciting prospect for Walloon/Belgian cycling and the Lotto team.

He said in Sportweekend (Belgian tv) earlier tonight that he's staying with Lotto till 2024. So that's one year extra on his contract, was hoping for 2025, but I'm guessing he knows damn well that he'll be able to get a huge paycheck after 2024.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS