Art

Surprised there's no Art thread, at least that I could find.

I will start with these:

Portrait of Louis XIV, by Hyacinthe Rigaud. I liked this painting from the moment I saw it. Louis XIV and his surroundings look majestic. The pose is impressive and harmonious. The detail as well: note the golden sword, symbolizing Charlemagne's Joyeuse, The Sword of France. The Scepter and the Hand of Justice. Aesthetically pleasant to the eye.



The Death of General Wolfe, by Benjamin West. Depicts the death of British General James Wolfe during the 1759 Battle of Québec of the French and Indian War (of the Seven Years' War). Apart from the historical context of the war, which I recentely got interested in, mainly the Fench side of it, what I like the most is the composition.



Share. :)
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
kingjr said:
I used to hate everything related to paintings with a vengeance back in my school-days, but I like this here
What's title of this? I feel like I've seen it before
 
Christian said:
What's title of this? I feel like I've seen it before
https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZitGBGmOGZqdzxnfjU5edqShSRHwcx6Bp9pwPO9-K9bqF3bNmo6dwOyWkq0lxaDNky99Fv5aWTel773BxBMADZ2u-WfntZxvvM8bqLWpaSJKfvEIN-9rgVWJ1B3Umx6xK-2-nNl2h4EkpXJ3kZIxI2rx-Fu7HFjlK9bP6x0w307Xmnk6U8TyKY4XZ9F7KPgZrtQ6s2tLYbATqic4XUU2_12NRZUw6tGDr21AH7SDl1jXOF3CdkcbWZPZshB9S3jgan4yBD_1Qavqm3ag4tGr60Pmh8KDwMi9M9ZogYobBuIz1dYt7WIrfFJDkR1qp-C-_1Vs5GJsOCaKuUIRMwOTsV7pSHIMGCOinsni18MhimepG-Qm1Z7K_1pOFiKTIRXPa_1641hoN5x8jVFAhiGQzycNPsWWBteEgHX53vWTV-emYud4-7gxbnO1uk9LTl6b_1u71uF3Co3ZsOTYmsldvdkPuwzBwvWdBEPRzgbueIc6CSQep2BKRd-tnXQhWQ567XenqHRvM1r1EBKLC1pQ6i2vyHgtaORj8RBak5c7vjwK9Gz-oPvovW4YIlzUcgf4Z2-xZj5BpNm9bvqauL5A-uP5yXn-7q296o6QA87MpuGu7EhOVYM5MEMeQgKos4gt4liXj7g-Gt5WWPWzQVrZAtcSNqWN1HDazsmmezlvqhO_1k0S6tPZfVSzocABDKiX9WkW0XaLrFzgB43ERp2ApiDvTIj9U-XPSllpao43r7D5jfaPXYiYqN7kyQpdIwOHQXLd85eLSDWDr9-5-OPm1EwVG4qtKFz-ZXTvu_1fvnZZTdddDUPWpaJFPecZlq2C-kKgsK6nuMWhHuQeXbdUeQz_1v2qFN2hY6xms6KYyAIdBfTf-KNxDUbDbHybF8kCqmS-_1F7vGJYInPmvLmnW8wTmx5cTRGnd7yQDbPljZdB6GOVVXqRSglVFUxmVif99uDi0OadeAzi1W3YILVwMS2RlQ1dQvOQLNk-PBhxI-y7Ro2M_1r2nmi2ZA1bCw7eD3ulI93i0ByR6gtsoE44Z1Nzruf897lQTqYJkOXoHw4QqKTk4f81C_1zpbljet3Fkcvcp8bsb95mOj2yztZZbuTADRMyQFMS41hXsMmdIc5QRs6wEMCw3-ZRGjWfpa8OroUaFluetZ_10MPr7gLdh6cPDdUfbPHbntS2HR2FIMVvqf1fQMl9391isRA-p8-Z75gHeVWQ8spkCeW-sHPwM2W8Vc6rSns7TFmS-Ayga0c9FPoLR943Nsz7dEvAdY63wEb66wO0Cxw8Eud7RlvZ3-F-9gEkX6tdKRcGVj_1plh7fmcXzgC8t47h4M3-KEDivvINnF8DWeM3cWFlI2FWq7HPaILLSp1NNcfJCDZA2nYU476ZLvgFgDdl35DxhQAiIqo4nooxKkl6fb2HmLp8hsKmjOj981rJehN2yQ3-cDfHE2t_1r-ItwZockvSRD3DCU6halLPQS8xb5mDjdWQJgb7ltUZn7XdSsHdCc2n81VwvGTrwmcsTwSywxebTf85Z08Vvja7Kl0_1leETDWHJHLXJmw36EWRu47-KyENfsmqh7DLKyPk_1BuizC2wjVbJsrphUlichvzb0qeHJOjHim7MCtbcYga8y4gSpDls0iBdIVQUZ9LsdIJFPli1vWMwZ-qiNBdu8zFtQ-pd2w4RqTI8Gd-K53nw7_1A_1dpJ3V9uHhw
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
Netserk said:
https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZitGBGmOGZqdzxnfjU5edqShSRHwcx6Bp9pwPO9-K9bqF3bNmo6dwOyWkq0lxaDNky99Fv5aWTel773BxBMADZ2u-WfntZxvvM8bqLWpaSJKfvEIN-9rgVWJ1B3Umx6xK-2-nNl2h4EkpXJ3kZIxI2rx-Fu7HFjlK9bP6x0w307Xmnk6U8TyKY4XZ9F7KPgZrtQ6s2tLYbATqic4XUU2_12NRZUw6tGDr21AH7SDl1jXOF3CdkcbWZPZshB9S3jgan4yBD_1Qavqm3ag4tGr60Pmh8KDwMi9M9ZogYobBuIz1dYt7WIrfFJDkR1qp-C-_1Vs5GJsOCaKuUIRMwOTsV7pSHIMGCOinsni18MhimepG-Qm1Z7K_1pOFiKTIRXPa_1641hoN5x8jVFAhiGQzycNPsWWBteEgHX53vWTV-emYud4-7gxbnO1uk9LTl6b_1u71uF3Co3ZsOTYmsldvdkPuwzBwvWdBEPRzgbueIc6CSQep2BKRd-tnXQhWQ567XenqHRvM1r1EBKLC1pQ6i2vyHgtaORj8RBak5c7vjwK9Gz-oPvovW4YIlzUcgf4Z2-xZj5BpNm9bvqauL5A-uP5yXn-7q296o6QA87MpuGu7EhOVYM5MEMeQgKos4gt4liXj7g-Gt5WWPWzQVrZAtcSNqWN1HDazsmmezlvqhO_1k0S6tPZfVSzocABDKiX9WkW0XaLrFzgB43ERp2ApiDvTIj9U-XPSllpao43r7D5jfaPXYiYqN7kyQpdIwOHQXLd85eLSDWDr9-5-OPm1EwVG4qtKFz-ZXTvu_1fvnZZTdddDUPWpaJFPecZlq2C-kKgsK6nuMWhHuQeXbdUeQz_1v2qFN2hY6xms6KYyAIdBfTf-KNxDUbDbHybF8kCqmS-_1F7vGJYInPmvLmnW8wTmx5cTRGnd7yQDbPljZdB6GOVVXqRSglVFUxmVif99uDi0OadeAzi1W3YILVwMS2RlQ1dQvOQLNk-PBhxI-y7Ro2M_1r2nmi2ZA1bCw7eD3ulI93i0ByR6gtsoE44Z1Nzruf897lQTqYJkOXoHw4QqKTk4f81C_1zpbljet3Fkcvcp8bsb95mOj2yztZZbuTADRMyQFMS41hXsMmdIc5QRs6wEMCw3-ZRGjWfpa8OroUaFluetZ_10MPr7gLdh6cPDdUfbPHbntS2HR2FIMVvqf1fQMl9391isRA-p8-Z75gHeVWQ8spkCeW-sHPwM2W8Vc6rSns7TFmS-Ayga0c9FPoLR943Nsz7dEvAdY63wEb66wO0Cxw8Eud7RlvZ3-F-9gEkX6tdKRcGVj_1plh7fmcXzgC8t47h4M3-KEDivvINnF8DWeM3cWFlI2FWq7HPaILLSp1NNcfJCDZA2nYU476ZLvgFgDdl35DxhQAiIqo4nooxKkl6fb2HmLp8hsKmjOj981rJehN2yQ3-cDfHE2t_1r-ItwZockvSRD3DCU6halLPQS8xb5mDjdWQJgb7ltUZn7XdSsHdCc2n81VwvGTrwmcsTwSywxebTf85Z08Vvja7Kl0_1leETDWHJHLXJmw36EWRu47-KyENfsmqh7DLKyPk_1BuizC2wjVbJsrphUlichvzb0qeHJOjHim7MCtbcYga8y4gSpDls0iBdIVQUZ9LsdIJFPli1vWMwZ-qiNBdu8zFtQ-pd2w4RqTI8Gd-K53nw7_1A_1dpJ3V9uHhw
thanks, bra!
 
Netserk said:
https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZitGBGmOGZqdzxnfjU5edqShSRHwcx6Bp9pwPO9-K9bqF3bNmo6dwOyWkq0lxaDNky99Fv5aWTel773BxBMADZ2u-WfntZxvvM8bqLWpaSJKfvEIN-9rgVWJ1B3Umx6xK-2-nNl2h4EkpXJ3kZIxI2rx-Fu7HFjlK9bP6x0w307Xmnk6U8TyKY4XZ9F7KPgZrtQ6s2tLYbATqic4XUU2_12NRZUw6tGDr21AH7SDl1jXOF3CdkcbWZPZshB9S3jgan4yBD_1Qavqm3ag4tGr60Pmh8KDwMi9M9ZogYobBuIz1dYt7WIrfFJDkR1qp-C-_1Vs5GJsOCaKuUIRMwOTsV7pSHIMGCOinsni18MhimepG-Qm1Z7K_1pOFiKTIRXPa_1641hoN5x8jVFAhiGQzycNPsWWBteEgHX53vWTV-emYud4-7gxbnO1uk9LTl6b_1u71uF3Co3ZsOTYmsldvdkPuwzBwvWdBEPRzgbueIc6CSQep2BKRd-tnXQhWQ567XenqHRvM1r1EBKLC1pQ6i2vyHgtaORj8RBak5c7vjwK9Gz-oPvovW4YIlzUcgf4Z2-xZj5BpNm9bvqauL5A-uP5yXn-7q296o6QA87MpuGu7EhOVYM5MEMeQgKos4gt4liXj7g-Gt5WWPWzQVrZAtcSNqWN1HDazsmmezlvqhO_1k0S6tPZfVSzocABDKiX9WkW0XaLrFzgB43ERp2ApiDvTIj9U-XPSllpao43r7D5jfaPXYiYqN7kyQpdIwOHQXLd85eLSDWDr9-5-OPm1EwVG4qtKFz-ZXTvu_1fvnZZTdddDUPWpaJFPecZlq2C-kKgsK6nuMWhHuQeXbdUeQz_1v2qFN2hY6xms6KYyAIdBfTf-KNxDUbDbHybF8kCqmS-_1F7vGJYInPmvLmnW8wTmx5cTRGnd7yQDbPljZdB6GOVVXqRSglVFUxmVif99uDi0OadeAzi1W3YILVwMS2RlQ1dQvOQLNk-PBhxI-y7Ro2M_1r2nmi2ZA1bCw7eD3ulI93i0ByR6gtsoE44Z1Nzruf897lQTqYJkOXoHw4QqKTk4f81C_1zpbljet3Fkcvcp8bsb95mOj2yztZZbuTADRMyQFMS41hXsMmdIc5QRs6wEMCw3-ZRGjWfpa8OroUaFluetZ_10MPr7gLdh6cPDdUfbPHbntS2HR2FIMVvqf1fQMl9391isRA-p8-Z75gHeVWQ8spkCeW-sHPwM2W8Vc6rSns7TFmS-Ayga0c9FPoLR943Nsz7dEvAdY63wEb66wO0Cxw8Eud7RlvZ3-F-9gEkX6tdKRcGVj_1plh7fmcXzgC8t47h4M3-KEDivvINnF8DWeM3cWFlI2FWq7HPaILLSp1NNcfJCDZA2nYU476ZLvgFgDdl35DxhQAiIqo4nooxKkl6fb2HmLp8hsKmjOj981rJehN2yQ3-cDfHE2t_1r-ItwZockvSRD3DCU6halLPQS8xb5mDjdWQJgb7ltUZn7XdSsHdCc2n81VwvGTrwmcsTwSywxebTf85Z08Vvja7Kl0_1leETDWHJHLXJmw36EWRu47-KyENfsmqh7DLKyPk_1BuizC2wjVbJsrphUlichvzb0qeHJOjHim7MCtbcYga8y4gSpDls0iBdIVQUZ9LsdIJFPli1vWMwZ-qiNBdu8zFtQ-pd2w4RqTI8Gd-K53nw7_1A_1dpJ3V9uHhw
Christian said:
What's title of this? I feel like I've seen it before

Strange times we live in that some people would rather flout their ability to use google well than appear as if they have some cultural knowledge.
 
The Hitch said:
Strange times we live in that some people would rather flout their ability to use google well than appear as if they have some cultural knowledge.
I'd argue that knowing how to use google well is worth more these days than knowing the name of some painting.
 
I've long worked in an Art library, making me discover plenty to share. But here, we are restricted to 4 pictures, it's quite boring, so one day, I'll share them on some other forums. Besides CN ... :rolleyes:

So I'll just post "At the Cycle-Race Track" by Jean Metzinger (1912). Kept in the Guggenheim Museum in Venice, unfortunately.



I don't find it particularly beautiful but it portrays Charles Crupelandt winning the 1912 Paris-Roubaix. So it's quite a big deal, if there are still some cycling fans in the place. I mean it shows how important Paris-Roubaix is in pop culture. I mean the GT just pale in comparison. THE cycling race!


Beside the leading French 'fauvist' painter, Maurice De Vlaminck had been a cyclist before he became known as a painter. Probably he was a pro and ... he entered the 1897 Paris-Roubaix, the 2nd in history. DNF!

His father was a Belgian, with the name De Vlaeminck, like Roger, and Maurice dropped the 'e' to make it look more French, tss.



Victor Linart was a multiple track stayer World Champion from the Walloon land who made a fortune out of cycling. After his career he had a villa in Verneuil-sur-Avre, Normandy. In his dining room there were numerous paintings by De Vlaminck. When they meet De Vlaminck said: "So you too are from the pedal?"

source: Théo Mathy - Les géants du cyclisme belge (Arts & voyages 1974)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY