• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana at the Giro. Any chances for success?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
There is a draft list of riders for Astana to be participating in the Giro, namely:
Roman Kreuziger, Paolo Tiralongo, Fredrik Kessiakoff, Francesco Maschiarelli, Evgeny Petrov. Four other riders yet to be confirmed, but those five riders will ride the Giro with high probablility.

So Astana bets on Kreuziger. Having strong line up of well experienced riders Roman might count on strong support from the team mates.
What do you reckon guys, are there chances for Roman to get on to the podium?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I also think Roman might be in top 10. Seems like this season Astana might end up with no major wins at the grand tours. Sad, with such a decent budget...
However, there are plenty of "young bucks" in the team, maybe we'll see something from Martninelli's tactics!
I hope Vuelta will be the last bastion for Astana.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Kreuziger has finally a good GT with no "jour sans"?
What could Masciarelli do on in the mojuntains if doesn't have to help?
For Tiralongo a bit too much climbs or has he improved?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
6th for Kreuziger. Would like to see Masciarelli get his own chance for a couple of stages if possible, for reasons we're no longer allowed to state outside a certain thread :)

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree with the valverde less caisse comment
They must not elect a sole leader at the start as its highly likely masciarreli and tiralongo can get up there

Hope they use the spirit of Vino and attack early on some multiple mountain stages, notably on the crostis and fedai

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
So far so good!!!

Seems like so far Astana displays quite a strong performance. Today Roman K has made it to 7th place in the general classification by finishing 5th; he was 3rd at 7th stage. Today he also got the white jersey and Masciarelli follows him, and I guess Kiserlovski goes 4th in that young rider classification. Astana must lead the team classification. Hope they maintain the tempo and keep the records as long as it possible.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Massive respect to Astana!!! what a ride!!!
Every rider came in form and willing to show something!!!
and the best part:
Roman!!!
He is doing great! showing leadership skills! and riding very well!
Changing teams was the better desicion! and Vino did it again! what an eye to sign ppl!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
kreuziger will be inte4resting to watch. I have my doubts if he has improved but maybe he could get back his tour de suisse 2008 shape, where he was very strong especially in mountain itt

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
I really like these inside the team features, especially yesterday's when DS gave his orders on how they should work on Etna stage.

Too bad they're unavailable to view online in my country of origin, which is a travesty really, considering this very feature is paid by Astana sponsor.

True, I guess it's the omission of the management of the team, whoever in charge with this ( Aidar I guess, maybe not). I even tried to send a message to them with the request to open an access to the Kazakh fans, but as I understand the message was not delivered.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
As Martinelli stated in his interview, stages 14 (Zoncolan) and 15 will be crucial ones. I hope Astana will make it through Zoncolan and finger crossed for Roman K! That's gonna be so entertaining!

I think Kreuziger will get white jersey and just get on podium. They could get at least one stage. Should someone start a thread about whether these Eastern European Riders are better than Vino/ Voigt/ Ulrich and numerous others. Like there is Kreuziger, Kiserveloski, Sagan and others. Wait a few yrs maybe then i might do that.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Martinelli on Contador on velonation:

“The key to doing this is that one of the contenders must have the courage to risk losing the Giro to try to overcome him. With my Astana I can try,” he said.

TRENDING THREADS