• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ballan and Santambrogio free to race...again!

"To date, the BMC Racing Team has never been notified by any authorities regarding these alleged actions and conversations,"

In other words, what made us suspend them still applies, but we're going to let them ride anyway because justice is slow.

Richeypen said:
If there is evidence against them charge them, if not then let them race. You cant suspend riders indefinatly without somesort of formal charges (unless they are Ezequiel Mosquera;))

Or ricco. They are REACTIVATED, it sounds kind of creepy, like they are Robots or something. Now Cadel gets ballan back there is no way he shall not go well. He sounds confident before the TDF saying Contador will have weaknesses. He's also knocked back Greenedge.

May 24, 2011
Visit site
is it fair in principle to have some evidence to back up the allegations? Or can journos and ambitious career investigators pick the teams by producing allegations?

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Or ricco. They are REACTIVATED, it sounds kind of creepy, like they are Robots or something. Now Cadel gets ballan back there is no way he shall not go well. He sounds confident before the TDF saying Contador will have weaknesses. He's also knocked back Greenedge.

OOh yeah, not robots man, they are....

UNIVERSAL SOLDIERS.....

UniversalSoldier_scene_01-thumb-260x174-6152.jpg
images

----------------
PS. I think the way the investigation has been handled, with premature accusations leaked in papers etc, is so ridiculous i have no problem with Ballan and Santambrogio riding atm. Fer crissakes if you're gonna accuse someone, do it when you're ready to charge them, not in public 1 or 2 years before.

PPS. But I just couldn't resist posting the UniSols up there, taking their meds :D

DISTRICT 9

BANNED
Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Super, it was indecent to put them off racing. Good they needed a break to support Cuddles. Hopefully they have trained and will make their mid-June preparation in support of Cuddles!

And the problem is ? Contador has been racing and they have not even been charged with anything, just implicated like Scarponi etc.........they really have to get the suspension business sorted out. One minute out, next minute back it seems. Don't blame BMC. What the hell are the UCI etc doing to sort out such procedural mess ? They can't keep stringing people along indefinitely. Even Contador's appeal seems to be taking much longer than it should. I doubt that any new evidence was submitted. BMC acted before other teams and some teams did nothing at all.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I was wondering which would be allowed to race first, Ballan and Santambrogio or the BMC Impec, which was announced over a year ago.

Cadel rode an Impec in last years tour. Possibly the ugliest bike I've ever seen built from legos.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I do blame BMC! They have let Hincapie race all this time and also after the 60 Minutes info. Ballan and Santambrogio have also been named but no charges so I'm sure those guys called up management and said, "well you still let Hincapie race and we're just rumored to be involved just like him so why can't we race?"

Green lights for Balan and Santambrogio. If another rider is rumored to be involved in some doping scandal I suspect they can use the Hincapie excuse/case to continue to race.

Total lack of consistency of rules for BMC.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
Exactly as they did last year when the same case was brought up in the media... almost hilarious...
I don't get it. The prosecutor hasn't laid charges on Ballan and Santambrogio yet it has been over two months. i thought he said he was going to lay charges on them in the next few days after it came public?

If he hasn't laid charges for over two months then why should they be suspended?

"At the moment, those of the team involved and their lawyers have not yet received any communication or notification of this, so it's obviously not possible to make any comment. If the news was confirmed, the team will act without hesitation in order to clarify its position with the investigating judge.”

therhodeo said:
Cadel rode an Impec in last years tour. Possibly the ugliest bike I've ever seen built from legos.
It won many big awards last year regarding road bikes.
ElChingon said:
I do blame BMC! They have let Hincapie race all this time and also after the 60 Minutes info. Ballan and Santambrogio have also been named but no charges so I'm sure those guys called up management and said, "well you still let Hincapie race and we're just rumored to be involved just like him so why can't we race?"

Green lights for Balan and Santambrogio. If another rider is rumored to be involved in some doping scandal I suspect they can use the Hincapie excuse/case to continue to race.

Total lack of consistency of rules for BMC.
Actually the inconcsistency is from other teams not suspending their riders (yes lampre) when they were under investigation. Again, Hincapie is not under investigation.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Actually the inconcsistency is from other teams not suspending their riders (yes lampre) when they were under investigation. Again, Hincapie is not under investigation.

No, other team suspend riders if they test positive or are proven to be involved in doping. BMC suspends riders if there is a rumor or are noted in a case, Hincapie is noted/mentioned/implicated in the case against lance. Following BMC protocol he should be banned due to that like Ballan was.

Bruseghin (Movistar) wasnt allowed to race.
Bandiera (Quick Step) wasnt allowed to race
Numerous Lampre riders werent allowed to race.

All because of this investigation so BMC are not the only ones who reacted. Are they allowed back too?

According to the article below, Ballan was due to appear before the pre-trial magistrate on May 12th which i guess would have made riding the Giro awkward.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-bmc-pull-ballan-and-santambrogio-from-racing

No reason for Lampre to keep their bunch of implicated riders suspended, since Ballan was suspect number one.
They can point to BMC's decision and let them take any heat.
Looking forward to seeing the likes of Cunego and Gavazzi back in the saddle, since they actually win races, from time to time.

Hincapie's involvement is not official. No official source has confirmed his confession, and sure as hell neither has he. You can't compare his situation to Ballan and Santambrogio's. Now, if I were Och or Rihs... scratch that, if I, with my own morals, were in charge of BMC, I'd question Hincapie and suspend him unless he explicitly denied the leaked info, but if he did that what can you do?

TRENDING THREADS