• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best cycling clothing?

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit obsessed by clothing. Money no object, what is the best you've ever had, or would buy if you could?:

* Short sleeved jersey

* Jacket

* Bib shorts

* MTB shorts

I'd say
* Short sleeved jersey
Dunno. i like my Nalini club top, but it snags, the pockets ruffle up, but Assos are too pricey and skinny for my paunch!

* Jacket
My black Rapha jacket for casual stuff. It's pricey, is falling apart, but I can wear it in the pub without getting lynched. Are there actually any other options for casual?
Or my Castelli Ripressa windproof jacket has a nice high neck, but stains easily. It's cosy though.

* Bib shorts
My Assos. I don't know the model, but they've a short cut thigh and very light for summer, which I like. Bit 'techno' though.

* MTB shorts
They're all rubbish. They all fall down or chafe.

Any other 'Best's to add?!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
IMO

Short sleeved jersey
My club jersey - Performance Systems Race Cut. Got it's first airing of the season last weekend. Loud and proud.

Jacket
Rapha Classic SoftShell - worn with a wicking base layer I've relied on this to get me through the last two late autumn/winter/early springs. Brilliant between 0 and 12 degrees. Awesome piece of kit if a bit pricey.

Bib shorts
Assos FI Mille S5 - expensive but they are soooo comfortable. Awesome too.

* MTB shorts
No idea - who cares? :D

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
There are no better bib shorts out there in my opinion than Assos even though they are a bit pricey. If you want great base layer stuff I think Craft is far and away the best and base layers truly make a difference even in summer. The Craft base layer (Pro Zero Extreme) with a layer of GoreTex on the front to keep out the wind is truly one of the best items I have ever purchased To me the rest of the stuff is not all that important as long as it fits well and does the job but that is just my opinion

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Clothing is always a tough one, you just have to try and see what's good for you. Personally, I don't go budget minded when it comes to clothes, form, function, and comfort are really important to me and Assos and Castelli have always been favorites, but I'm not digging both their styles as of late. Have had Giordana, Nalini, Agu, Bio Racer in the past and they're all pretty good. Capo looks good to me but no experience with them. One thing I can say for certain is I hate Vermarc bibs, the fit is fine, quality of the stitching is crap and so are the chammys they use, but they've got those awesome Belgian beer jerseys. I've been designing kits for my company lately and I'm more than likely going with Giordana. Sorry I didn't follow the parameters of the OP, oh well.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
the "usual suspect" italian brands are generally best quality and cut in my opinion (santini, nalini, castelli, giordana). design of different items varies a lot though. best to research available options thoroughly.

short sleeved jersey - seemingly such a simple item but SO FEW available jerseys meet my requirements. i prefer a long or full zip, high/proud collar, 3 deep pockets (+ one zipped ideally), slim fit, choice of material depending on the season, some reflective element on the back, and unflashy design (in particular i like plain sleeves, to match better with other kit such as gilet). relatively happy with an ultra-lightweight white santini one picked up recently, but it still isn't perfect.

bib shorts there are a lot of decent options out there in my opinion, it is all about the insert and getting the sizing perfect. santini twistgel is marginally my personal favourite, i think. shorts should not be too long.
i have never found a decent pair of shorts that fit my (tall, slim) build very well. the only pairs i have that don't cut into my shoulders are too large.

more generally, so called luxury brands are a bit of a mystery to me. ignoring price, i really dislike assos kit. the cuts, the designs, the materials, just don't do it for me. it isn't comfortable and it doesn't look good to me. price included, i would geniunely like to know why people buy it. campagnolo make a few decent things (i used to have some good shorts) but most is garbage. rapha doesn't make any secret of being more about fashion and 'cool' than serious cycling wear but i still don't really "get it".

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't really care about jerseys and I've worn the same MTB shorts for over 10 years. I have a Pearl Izumi light cycling jacket which does the job on colder days or for light to moderate showers. I wouldn't mind a Goretex cycling jacket for the more severe weather, but hey who am I kidding? I very rarely ride in that kind of weather and that money can be spent better elsewhere. Where I do not compromise is my bibs. I will pay extra money for bibs because of their comfort. My two favourite bibs are Assos and Giordana.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
to be honest i always think that, as long as you have functional kit, quantity is better than supreme quality. i'd rather have a range of jerseys of different styles, colours and different weights so i always have options even when several are in the wash, and one wearing out or being damaged isn't a big deal.
even the "best" kit isn't perfect, even amongst the very "worst" i don't think i've ever thrown anything away without first wearing it out and enjoying it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
My experience is that Castelli makes nice looking, affordable cr@p. I had to return a pair of tights when the ankle zippers broke in less than a week. And after two months of regular use the stitching on the bib shorts started to come apart and the little scorpion decals peeled off (a little thing, I know, but still, it made the shorts look like I had rotting crabs on the legs. Annoying).

But Assos... I have an Assos winter jacket that I bought in 1991, and even used for a winter of being a bike messenger in Boston, and it's still almost as good as new. The shorts are also tough and fit perfectly. With Assos, you get what you pay for. Sorry to sound like a commercial.

Agree with other posters that Craft makes the best base layer stuff.

For affordable, tough winter gear (I live in Seattle and train and commute all year), Endura is an excellent choice. Although the padding on their otherwise great bib tights is a bit on the diaperish side.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Craft PRO baselayers work well today. Any baselayer with Lycra should be burned.

Jerseys ... I'm lost on these days. They've become worse as far as I'm concerned, over the last 25 years. I loved Swiss-Tex material..... it had small loops on the inside of the fabric ..... worked great in a large temp. range. The loops kept the sweat off your body in warm weather.

The smooth fabrics of today just don't cut it, and those that add lycra are even further off the mark. Lycra is fine for shorts, but should never ever be in a jersey or baselayer. Hot in the heat, cold in the cold.

Jackets? Don't be fooled.... nothing breathes well if you perspire. Waterproof/breathable fabrics or windproof ones are the worst. Vests are king....with some mesh in the back. A good compromise may be a jacket with zip off sleeves.... like the PI Vagabond.

I like PI stuff because they will repair defects(like zippers) for free for the life of the garment.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
aslongasicycle said:
I'm a bit obsessed by clothing. Money no object, what is the best you've ever had, or would buy if you could?:

* Short sleeved jersey

Assos, Castelli, Giordana. In that order

* Jacket & Vests

The older Castelli, now Assos and Rapha

* Bib shorts

Assos. Often imitated, never equaled.

* Arm, leg, and knee warmers

Giordana, lots of options

* MTB shorts, commuter, or casual

Cut off Dickies with Assos bibs underneath

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
such a subjective question, but here are my current favourites

undershirts - I swear by Patagonia Merino Wool base layers, both short and long sleeved.

long sleeve jersey - Assos Intermediate Evo jersey
Short sleeve jersey -Castelli Aero jersey
Sleeveless - Sugoi Evolution sleeveless jersey

vest - Mavic Helium vest
rain jacket - Hincapie Event shell - pricey but oh so tech and breathable, it got me through the wet miserable spring we have had here in Vancouver

bibs - Sugoi RSE bibs, with a fantastic chammy with mesh vent ports front and back that really lowers the temp down there. single best improvement in saddle sore abatement I have ever felt. so good i no longer have to use chammy cream! even with Assos or Rapha bibs i have always had to use some.

Bibs - Assos

Jerseys -- I don't really care other than I like a full zip and a trim athletic cut. European brands like Santini work well for me. I hate the brands that are made for Americans and their fat guts, sometimes called "club fit."

Jacket -- I prefer arm warmers and a vest.

MTB shorts -- Road bibs with a something like Columbia nylon shorts over them if I don't want to go for the racer look.

I also won't buy anything by Pearl Izumi because of design flaws I found in their previous products.

never had Assos although so many say that they're the dogs b0llocks - would love to try them, but can't justify the cost (yet).

most of my kit is cannondale actually.
I have found their bibs to be better than the pearl izumi, cannibal and sugoi I've had previously.

I have one of their vest/jackets (zip-off sleeves) and love it. Pity the newer versions don't apear to be as good...
I do have a long sleeve jersey/jacket of theirs that's been excellent in the cold.

As for jerseys, well, I've had Endura, Fluid, Giordana, Netti, Santini, Sportful, Sugoi, Primal and Cannibal - no real problems with any... maybe the LS Netti because the sleeves are a bit short, and the Giordana doesn't dry terrible quickly (always still damp for the commute home)...

MTB shorts? Okay, so I commute in a pair of Spyders with the Endura cycling underwear bibs, and this has been a great combination. In the winter I include the Cannondale carbon quatro leggings, which have been great.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this, v interesting. Assos coming out consistently on top. Interesting to hear about Craft. Terrible name though, if that matters!?
Keep them coming please.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Try the Rapha bibs.. they are very good. probably the most comfy i have used.
Soft fabric, different from most. great pad.
If your Rapha jacket is falling apart send it back,they have a great warranty.
I have found the Rapha jackets to be some of the best out there.
The softshell is great so is the new rain jacket.
Jerseys..
Cappo are good race fit jerseys.
Assos jerseys are ok too.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Willy_Voet said:
I've found that anything with cotton wears my seat out.

I have yet to find the perfect pair of shorts for commuting/ride to the store.

Dickies are cheap enough, 20-30 bucks depending on style. Burn through a set of duck jeans every 2 years. I'll never buy any of those super expensive designer knicks made for the limp wristed metrosexual hipster doofus set. ;)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Decided recently to take the plunge and get a team kit going for my biz. It's either going to be Giordana, whom I have experience with, or Capo, whom I don't. Nobody rides Capo here? I'd be interested to here what people have to say about them.

TRENDING THREADS