• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best domestique, Giro 2013

Who is the best helper in this year Giro ?

For me the answer is obvious, Niemiec.

He is 5th in the GC, while working for Scarponi. He lost time three times, because of Michele. Twice in the mountains, and once in the first week when Scarponi had a mechanical.

Also we need to mention Agnoli, Kangert and Steegmans. Any other ideas ?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
sucotash said:
Who is the best helper in this year Giro ?

For me the answer is obvious, Niemiec.

He is 5th in the GC, while working for Scarponi. He lost time three times, because of Michele. Twice in the mountains, and once in the first week when Scarponi had a mechanical.

Also we need to mention Agnoli, Kangert and Steegmans. Any other ideas ?

You've named the four best. My vote would be for Agnoli though for how deep he goes for Nibali, as clearly he isn't as talented as some of the others, but he certainly destroys himself more than the others.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Kangert, Niemec has been super strong but Kangert has worked just about on every type of terrain and has worked more than Niemec imo.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I know the Nibali fans will all go for nibali domestiques, but one can't with a straight face say they are even in the same league as what Niemiec is doing.

Why? Because he has sacrificed his own ambitions? Why is that the deciding factor here? Has he done more for Scarponi than Agnoli or Kangert has done for Nibali though. I don't think so. Partly because he hasn't had to due to Astana having to do more work than Lampre. Niemiec has done a great job, but you're deluded to understate what Agnoli and Kangert has done for Nibali. Especially since the rest of their squad has been sick and/or out of form most of the Giro.

Niemiec, without sacrificing himself for Scarponi three times, would have been now where Uran is in GC :( I just hope that Lampre will let him ride his race on the remaining stages. He already was twice told to slow down in the mountains to wait for Michele. It is easy to work for a strong leader like Nibali, with the jersey, you know in that case that your work is useful. But it must be annoying to wait for a guy who is weaker, when you have, a podium chance in the GC. Without Lampre tem orders Niemiec would be now clearly ahead of Scarponi in the GC

The Hitch said:
I know the Nibali fans will all go for nibali domestiques, but one can't with a straight face say they are even in the same league as what Niemiec is doing.

You might wanna check stage 10 again. Agnoli drops, all of a sudden Uran attacks, he gets back and pulls half of the climb on his own.
That's more than commitment. More than sacrifice. That's pure devotion.
With all due respect to Niemec, who's a much better overall rider than Agnoli, he's not close to how important Agnoli is for Nibbles.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
How is Agnoli "better" domestique for Nibali when he was nowhere in the first week+ of the giro while Kangert was guarding Nibali on flats and on mountains. Kangert has not done anything without team/Nibali's permission so don't say he's riding with CG position in his mind cause that's not true.

Samson said:
How is Agnoli "better" domestique for Nibali when he was nowhere in the first week+ of the giro while Kangert was guarding Nibali on flats and on mountains. Kangert has not done anything without team/Nibali's permission so don't say he's riding with CG position in his mind cause that's not true.

Don't make stuff up.

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Samson said:

Nowhere? Are you actually serious? Did you even watch the first week or just read the news? Agnoli has been such a beast, doing work on flat AND the mountains. For me, he has been the best domestique this Giro. Closely followed by Niemec and Kangert.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Niemec is good, but he is just a GC-guy that for political reason has to drag Scarponi once in a while. The first week Kangert was brilliant and helped Nibali alot. Now when he is in a good GC-position he has taken it more easy, quit understandable. Instead its Agnoli who have done most of the job, stage 10 was just epic.

I think Agnoli and Kangert is the best, but its hard to tell whos the better.

TRENDING THREADS