• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Best male rider of the year 2020

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With today's win Roglic will clear the 3000 CQ points mark in 2020.
I know CQ is not perfect but I'll list CQ season leaders in the past decade for reference:

2019: Roglic 3235
2018: Valverde 2884
2017: Froome 2727
2016: Sagan 3307
2015: Valverde 2976
2014: Valverde 3152
2013: Nibali 2793
2012: Purito 3118
2011: Gilbert 3180
2010: Nibali 2204

So Roglic will do better than many of them in what was basically a 3 month season for him.
This has to be one of the most incredible points/race days ratio in contemporary cycling. You probably have to go back to Jalabert 1995 to find something better.

Yes, he has been incredible. To think that he is not the male rider of the year is amusing and imaginative but not really based on objectivity. Ala, WvA, and Pog each have a case, but in the end you know Roglič owned this compressed season despite the heartbreak.

And he's boring and painfully unexciting all season long.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I voted for Roglic, who seemed to be at his physical peak in 2020 right before the Dauphine crash. Thereafter, he had to pick himself up off the ground and refocus, which he did surprisingly successfully at the TDF, until Pogi went nuclear on the final ITT. That picture of him at the end of the TT, sitting on the ground with everything spent, showed where he found himself once again, on the ground. But after about 30 seconds, the first thing he did was pick himself up, head on over to Pogi and give him a handshake and a hug. And then what? Win a monument classic, win 4 stages in the Vuelta, and win the Vuelta overall. For all his limitations (and there are just a few), he is one of the most resilient riders I have seen, physically and mentally.

TGH for me. Others listed are proven champions, but he managed to believe himself in a situation like that, it was a real three week building of the champion. He's very much earned every single bit of that win. Not a super fan of IG but at the same time it was maybe finest battle of 'em all for Sky-Ineos, being quite underdog circumstances and work of art for team mgm to clear the task with so many stage wins. JV had same potential for this season, but IG made it happen, I bet they rank this high.

In half of the cases it was due crashes/mechanicals. In the second half, everybody was scared of Sagan, so the second strongest rider has won.
So at Het Volk Greg was so scared that he out sprinted him, and at GW and E3 he was even more scared that he dropped him earlier...
Look, I like Sagan way more than Van Avermaet, but there's no chance he was the stronger one in the spring of 2017.

So at Het Volk Greg was so scared that he out sprinted him, and at GW and E3 he was even more scared that he dropped him earlier...
Look, I like Sagan way more than Van Avermaet, but there's no chance he was the stronger one in the spring of 2017.

There is.

Not in Het Nieuwsblad maybe but in the other races, yes.

Greg winning four cobbled classics that year was the most ridiculously lucky spring campaign I have ever seen. Capped off with a Roubaix win where he was dropped before Arenberg in a manner sinilar to Sagan and Cancellara the year before but nobody apparently cared about him. And then Sagan punctured twice while on the attack. Depressing race. Also, Sagan versus Terpstra in GW was ridiculous and not testament to Greg being stronger than them.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Van Aert the best rider of 2020, Roglic the better results. And since the poll is about who is the best rider...

Speaking in terms of results, Roglic was very lucky to win Liège, meanwhile Van Aert saw a monument being cancelled where he would be yet again (co-)top favourite, and was a dom in the Tour. So Roglic was kind of favoured in that regard. That doesn't change how insanely consistent and perseverant he was, hats off for that.

There is.

Not in Het Nieuwsblad maybe but in the other races, yes.

Greg winning four cobbled classics that year was the most ridiculously lucky spring campaign I have ever seen. Capped off with a Roubaix win where he was dropped before Arenberg in a manner sinilar to Sagan and Cancellara the year before but nobody apparently cared about him. And then Sagan punctured twice while on the attack. Depressing race. Also, Sagan versus Terpstra in GW was ridiculous and not testament to Greg being stronger than them.
In other races, yes what?! Being stronger? How exactly, and where?

In Het Volk he lost one-on-one, means he was weaker.

E3, firstly he didn't follow GVA, then he couldn't bridge and then he crashed. So he was not smart enough, not strong enough and at the end unlucky.

GW, his stupidity reached historical heights, and then he again wasn't strong enough to pull Greg back.

Ronde, he crashed himself and Greg, and was left behind again.

Roubaix, he had a chance to distance main rival who had a bad luck, he didn't took it, then he had a bad luck, but his main rival used that opportunity.

Now where exactly was he a stronger one?!

In other races, yes what?! Being stronger? How exactly, and where?

In Het Volk he lost one-on-one, means he was weaker.

E3, firstly he didn't follow GVA, then he couldn't bridge and then he crashed. So he was not smart enough, not strong enough and at the end unlucky.

GW, his stupidity reached historical heights, and then he again wasn't strong enough to pull Greg back.

Ronde, he crashed himself and Greg, and was left behind again.

Roubaix, he had a chance to distance main rival who had a bad luck, he didn't took it, then he had a bad luck, but his main rival used that opportunity.

Now where exactly was he a stronger one?!

The times you just mentioned plus MSR.

TRENDING THREADS