• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best mud guards/fenders for road bikes?

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the Crud RoadRace fenders are the best. There is simply no other product that does what the Crud RoadRace fenders do, so there isn't any competition! I tried the Race Blades, and other similar hacked-up fenders from the big names that all end at the fork in the front and brake bridge in the rear. They do help keep *some* of the spray off of you. They also funnel all the gunk into your brake, your fork and lower headset bearing. The drivetrain still gets hammered, your shoes still fill with water, and the spray off the front hits you in the face since it isn't directed anywhere after it exits the front of the fork.

The RoadRace fenders solve all this by passing through the fork to extend the coverage well in front of the front brake, and by passing through the rear brake bridge. For the rear fender, the coverage extends all the way down to the bottom bracket - protecting your legs, your feet and your drivetain. The Alpha-Q fork on my road bike has insanely tight clearance (I can barely fit 25c tires in there!), and I had no problem fitting the RoadRace fenders to cover my 23c tires. I never though it would be possible! I've ridden these fenders at 45 mph so far - with no worries about them in the least. The other riders in my group LOVE to be near me in the wet! Now when I get home from a wet ride, the bike is almost clean, and I have zero road spray on me. Amazing. I mean truly amazing.

I purchased these fenders at full price from a bike shop. I don't get anything in return for my rave reviews (at least not yet!) :) I just call it like I see it. I never thought I'd be able to install real, full-coverage, light-weight fenders on my road bike - yet I did. And I'm thrilled about it as you can probably tell. (What would we do without Google? I never would have found these without a few minutes searching around the internet. None of my *local* bike shops sell them).

There are some things I'd improve:
1. Something better than zip-ties for the brake bolt attachment.
2. An adapter to allow use of front or rear threaded fender mounts if available on the bike.
3. A couple more options for zip-tie placement for the part that holds the front of the rear fender the the seat tube.

But really, those are picking nits when you consider the other options on the market!

Some images of my steel road bike with the RoadRace fenders installed. I have the jaunty, perky short tail on my rear fender. My riding buddy uses the full length because it makes him feel more "rando."

fenders01.jpg

fenders02.jpg

Yeah Ive used the sks race blades and they are better than nothing but the Crud race stay put way better and have more coverage. They look pretty stealth too. I did 210km with em on Sunday and it didnt rain but they are so light and slim line, you dont even really notice em on there. I banged out 4 repeats up Mt Cootha today and they dont rub under max sprinting watts either. Love that!

I just loathe getting all that road grime down the back of your jersey and I loathe riding clunker 'winter' bikes. I wish I had these fenders ages ago.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I logged in to ask whether anyone had tried the Crud roadracer mk2's and lo and behold, a thread already.

One thing I've noticed about most fenders is that the front fender does not go low enough to prevent spray from getting on your shoes. Heck, the worst part about riding in the rain is your feet going numb because they get soaked by the spray from the front tire.

So I'll give these a try based on the reviews and the fact that, by the photos available online, these roadracers offer the lowest front fender I can find. We'll see how it goes.

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Road Hazard said:
One thing I've noticed about most fenders is that the front fender does not go low enough to prevent spray from getting on your shoes. Heck, the worst part about riding in the rain is your feet going numb because they get soaked by the spray from the front tire.

Worse for me is filling the shoes with spray from the REAR tire. But I agree that spray from the front is almost as bad! The front (and rear!) definitely covers enough of the tire to keep your shoes protected.

The first time installing can be a bit tricky as you figure everything out. From then on it is very simple.

TRENDING THREADS