• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Young Pro Tour Riders to watch in 2013

Best Young Pro Tour Riders to watch in 2013 (read orignal post for criteria)

I noticed their was a thread for juniors to watch, but not for protour riders who could break out in 2013.

Me and my friends have had a discussion, and after bit of thinking started looking for riders under 25, who have yet to win a Protour Stage or Overall and will ride the Pro Tour this season.

One i am wiaiting to break out is Romain SIcard he has been talked up alot and some of his form looks top notch.

Salvatore Puccio is interesting now in 2nd year as pro with sky who must surely have liked his potential with flecha gone he will play stronger role in the classic season.

Thinking of others now, their is a few Spaniards that come to mind would love hear if anyone has anyone else they would put in the list. Prehaps Wilco Kelderman

Joe Dombrowski joins sky and is on giro longlist for the team

Betancur will be riding for ag2r this season after strong 2012

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
AntonioRossi said:
Sicard? Really? :D He has been talked up a lot for the last 4 years. Nothing has happened so far. Plus he turns 25 in 2 weeks. Cant call him that young anymore

No worries. Froome and JTL were older before they broke through.

Romain Sicard hasn't had the best luck so far in his career either.

--

I'm looking forward to Pieter Serry. Next year will be his first year in a WT team. I also hope Matteo Trentin develops further as a classics rider.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

--

I'm looking forward to Pieter Serry. Next year will be his first year in a WT team. I also hope Matteo Trentin develops further as a classics rider.

Gotta agree, looking forward Serry possibly leading in Ardennes classic. Can't see Trentin given a lead in any big race, but boy he has the talent. If not that helicopter at MSR, it would have been sucha perfect debut in such a massive race for him.

Anyway, Dombrowski will ride Oman, Tirreno, Trentino and ... Giro! What a schedule for neo-pro. And I would plenty of chances to shine for him too.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Gotta agree, looking forward Serry possibly leading in Ardennes classic. Can't see Trentin given a lead in any big race, but boy he has the talent. If not that helicopter at MSR, it would have been sucha perfect debut in such a massive race for him.

Anyway, Dombrowski will ride Oman, Tirreno, Trentino and ... Giro! What a schedule for neo-pro. And I would plenty of chances to shine for him too.

Yeah, forgot about him. Don't really know him that well, but there's been lot's of talk about him here, so I'm curious as to how he'll do.

Pretty heavy program for a neo pro though. I could be wrong, but I don't think even Sagan rode a GT in his first year.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

--

Agreed. Luck hasnt been on his side so far.

Im looking forward to seeing trentin's team mate, vermote. He won the 3 days of west flanders only because kwiatkowski crashed. So I still consider him as a rider who could break out. But yes Serry should be a good one to watch.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
AntonioRossi said:
Agreed. Luck hasnt been on his side so far.

Im looking forward to seeing trentin's team mate, vermote. He won the 3 days of west flanders only because kwiatkowski crashed. So I still consider him as a rider who could break out. But yes Serry should be a good one to watch.

Vermote was very strong at the National Championships. Broke away with Boonen and some other riders at around 40km to go and did most of the work in the small group. He was very strong that day.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Lachlan Morton will be turning pro with Garmin in 2013 and will be a rider to watch, he was 6th in the Tour de Langkawi at only 19 years old in 2011. Also Michael Hepburn, Rohan Dennis, Bob Jungels, and Alexey Lutsenko have all shown great potential and will be in the world tour next year.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
argiro ospina. I see him as perhaps an even bigger revelation than quintana was this year.

Maybe we'll have to wait until 2014 until he shows his class in Europe. Quintana already rode Volta Catalunya in 2011 for instance, winning the KOM jersey there showing his good and quick adaption to European racing. Ospina might have to get used to the tempo in regular stages. He has talent, but he also still has to prove himself a reliable rider on the flat and in positioning. Although I don't know how good he is at that atm.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Maybe we'll have to wait until 2014 until he shows his class in Europe. Quintana already rode Volta Catalunya in 2011 for instance, winning the KOM jersey there showing his good and quick adaption to European racing. Ospina might have to get used to the tempo in regular stages. He has talent, but he also still has to prove himself a reliable rider on the flat and in positioning. Although I don't know how good he is at that atm.

ospina is a much different rider from quintana. he is way bigger and more "european". I expected quintana to have issues on the flat in europe. especially the first few years but he didn;t. I therefore see no reason why ospina would have.

TRENDING THREADS