• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

bikes on planes

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday I wrote a bunch of letters/emails (via the airline contact links) to all the major US airlines telling each of them that I will not be flying their airlines until they change their bike carrying charges. All American companies charge $150 each way for a bike even if you don't have any other baggage to check in. Depending on where you're flying to, that could be a significant chunk if not more than your ticket. In contrast, British Airways and Air Canada (for example) count a bike as a piece of luggage, so if you don't exceed your allowance, you don't pay extra. I could understand a small extra charge of say $50, because often bikes need a baggage handler to come and get it as they are too big and/or fragile to go on a conveyor belt.

I'd suggest you do the same by contacting as many airlines (and at least your home one if it charges a ridiculous fee) to change these ridiculous fees. At the very least they'll reconsider their policy. I received a response from Delta already apologizing and saying they sent my comment to the corporate marketing leadership team.

Other airlines:
KLM, Lufthansa, Brussels Airlines, Finn Air - 100Euro or $150 if flying from/to US
Iberia - $150
SAS - 70Euro or $95

Reactions: bestgears

maliesha

BANNED
Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
airline baggage

Delta Airlines is going to be the very first significant air carrier to gather $1 billion in airline fees, as it will gather that much by 2014. Many customers are unsatisfied with the mounting fee schedules, but the air travel market will cease to exist without them. If you need help paying unexpected airline fees, use an installment loan