• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biniam Girmay discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It still amazes me that Delko signed this guy and then Wanty got him. This is an era when superteams bulk buy the best young riders to sort through them for the next Pogacar or Pidcock. Biniam was one of the most obvious prospects. All of the random posters on this forum knew exactly who he was. And yet none of the big teams risked a neopro salary on him, the kind of money they would lose down the back of the couch.

A very nice bit of business for Wanty though.

It still amazes me that Delko signed this guy and then Wanty got him. This is an era when superteams bulk buy the best young riders to sort through them for the next Pogacar or Pidcock. Biniam was one of the most obvious prospects. All of the random posters on this forum knew exactly who he was. And yet none of the big teams risked a neopro salary on him, the kind of money they would lose down the back of the couch.
Unfortunately that’s just how it goes if you aren’t European, American, or Columbian.

A very nice bit of business for Wanty though.

Couldn’t agree more with this post. It is ridiculous really that non of the big teams picked up Ghirmay and that he even had to wait for Wanty to pick him up.

Nonetheless I am happy they did as Ghirmay is a great rider to watch!

One still cannot know how Girmay will perform in the 250+ kms Classics (San Remo was 300, OK, but is less selective).

What he showed until now, in a relatively short period of time, let‘s me hope that soon or one day, he could go for podiums in the big Classics.

A dark-skinned rider from Eritrea, who takes 5th place in E3 Harelbeke, aged 21, that is certainly something we never saw before. He is the one and only.

Thousands of young Benelux and French cyclists would „cut a finger off“ to one day ride Harelbeke and finish in 5th place…

I hope Girmay stays healthy and injury free. Then, he could achieve nice results within the next years. He‘s good, and probably will get even better. He‘ll need some luck, which we all do.

He doesn‘t even need to be the next WVA or MVDP. Hayman won Roubaix, and Pereiro won the Tour. There are always editions of races when the unexpected happens.

To be cautious, he now - since Friday - can at least dream of winning Harelbeke one day…

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Wanty are looking after his best interests and not overdoing it, after he races G-W today he’s headed back to Eritrea in preparation for the Giro.
Sounds good. A chance to go home and train in good weather with a proper break from racing to reset for the Giro where he could be a candidate to win a bunch sprint later in the race or nab a transitional stage from a breakaway.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS