• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biniam Girmay discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hopefully Wanty changes that now.
hopefully not. He hasn't seen his wife and family for the last 3 months. Wanty gave him a programme and they agreed he could go back home around this time.
You don't keep a 21-year old any longer for yet another race, after he already delivered enough for the whole year. Keeping him here, based on his good performances, would actually be an incentive for him NOT to perform.

Honestly, you kinda have to send him to the RVV after today, at least as a learning experience.
He needs a nickname, going with the Italian random animal plus hometown I like the sound of the lion of Asmara.

Apparently he can‘t stay longer anyway because of his visa, I just read. That makes sense then. But well, he has more than enough time to win Ronde the coming years

@Volderke good point yeah

hopefully not. He hasn't seen his wife and family for the last 3 months. Wanty gave him a programme and they agreed he could go back home around this time.
You don't keep a 21-year old any longer for yet another race, after he already delivered enough for the whole year. Keeping him here, based on his good performances, would actually be an incentive for him NOT to perform.
Yeah, I can totally see why he wants to see his family again.

He has arrived!

FO3X21pXIAUyt8T

One still cannot know how Girmay will perform in the 250+ kms Classics (San Remo was 300, OK, but is less selective).

What he showed until now, in a relatively short period of time, let‘s me hope that soon or one day, he could go for podiums in the big Classics.

A dark-skinned rider from Eritrea, who takes 5th place in E3 Harelbeke, aged 21, that is certainly something we never saw before. He is the one and only.

Thousands of young Benelux and French cyclists would „cut a finger off“ to one day ride Harelbeke and finish in 5th place…

I hope Girmay stays healthy and injury free. Then, he could achieve nice results within the next years. He‘s good, and probably will get even better. He‘ll need some luck, which we all do.

He doesn‘t even need to be the next WVA or MVDP. Hayman won Roubaix, and Pereiro won the Tour. There are always editions of races when the unexpected happens.

To be cautious, he now - since Friday - can at least dream of winning Harelbeke one day…

I just had to wait ca. four hours, then it already came true.

Absolutely incredible!!! :)

He's pretty good on punchy climbs, he was already 2nd in the 2020 Trofeo Laigueglia. He also finished 5th on the final mountain stage of the Tour de l'Avenir as a first year u23 rider.
It’s surprsing after those results he didn’t get a WT contract and had to settle for long term at Delko before they folded, which ended up being a blessing in disguise.

TRENDING THREADS