• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biniam Girmay discussion thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Becoming a star even faster than I would have thought.

I think he will surprise a lot of people with his climbing during these three weeks. His climbing performances so far as a professional have been rather inconsistent and sometimes underwhelming but he has shown signs of good climbing ability ever since he was a junior. A grand tour might just be the place to unlock the potential.
Edit: for reference, he was 5th on a very climbing heavy stage 10 in Tour de l’Avenir as a first-year u23, finishing a few seconds in front of Foss and Van Wilder.

Last edited:
Very good Giro start for Girmay… Eight stages done, he achieved five Top-5 results. He was second in stage one, wore the White jersey, and is currently second in the fight for the points jersey.

The next weeks will show his endurance over three weeks. I hope he‘s still good.

He now is a potential winner of San Remo and RVV. Maybe also going for stages and the points jersey in a GT could suit him.

It‘s great to see him in his first full season at Intermarche. He comes to the races well-prepared, is already well-respected, and people like him a lot. He‘s strong, so he can ride aggressively already. Also his fellow riders respect and like him. :)

I think he should have worked a bit more today but he was strong again and I was impress by his last descent as he was the only one that managed to stay with Van der Poel.
He raced a bit passively, although maybe he was more tired than he seemed.

VdP spent a lot of energy, and when the final group formed after Mathieu's ill-fated attack, I thought Ghirmay should have tried to follow then instead of hoping that VdP would bridge. I understand that tactic a bit but had Ghirmay gone, at the very worst (meaning a few others bridge with him, he would have gotten to the finish in a reduced bunch rather than sprinting for fifth place.

Barring that, when he and VdP had gotten to within 15 seconds, he should have just pushed on. But again, maybe he was just out of gas. He doesn't reaally show it, unlike VdP, whose shoulders slump and head goes down when he's cooked.

Reactions: stonerider
As I said elsewhere, Girmay was more concerned with not letting MvdP get the better of him than he was with winning the race. It was plain to see if you watched the entire race. It seemed his only goal was to finish ahead of MvdP.
His goal was to win the race and he thought marking VdP was the best strategy to achieve said goal.
But he was wrong. De Gendt was a lot stronger than anybody in that break anticipated, on top of having two teammates with him.

Girmay has basically zero experience of riding in a GT break and it showed.

So Girmay is oriented towards MVDP, which is smart. Girmay seems to be a similar rider, and also his positioning and bike handling skills seem to be good already.

Since he recently started to like Belgium, and is oriented towards VDP, I dream of Biniam showing up at races like Superprestige Ruddervoorde or X2O Trofee Herentals, next winter season. :) Imagine someone from Eritrea winning one of such races! ;) As a winner of Gent-Wevelgem, he should have the engine to do so…

So Girmay is oriented towards MVDP, which is smart. Girmay seems to be a similar rider, and also his positioning and bike handling skills seem to be good already.

Since he recently started to like Belgium, and is oriented towards VDP, I dream of Biniam showing up at races like Superprestige Ruddervoorde or X2O Trofee Herentals, next winter season. :) Imagine someone from Eritrea winning one of such races! ;) As a winner of Gent-Wevelgem, he should have the engine to do so…
And today his education has given him his first win. Tremendous, just tremendous. Wanty will have every DS bugging them, now.

TRENDING THREADS