• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biniam Girmay discussion thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was reading so I could be sure he is ok, a cork making someone blind impossible. But then I found this...

"A champagne cork accident in 2019 left reality star Theo Campbell blinded in his right eye. For a safe celebration, follow the American Academy of Ophthalmology's simple tips on how to properly open a bottle of champagne: Chill sparkling wine and champagne to 45 degrees Fahrenheit or colder before opening."

"Warm bottles of champagne and improper cork-removal techniques cause serious, potentially blinding eye injuries each year, according experts. Champagne bottles contain pressure as high as 90 pounds per square inch -- more than the pressure found inside a typical car tire. This pressure can launch a champagne cork at 50 miles per hour as it leaves the bottle, which is fast enough to shatter glass. Unfortunately, this is also fast enough to permanently damage vision. "

I hope Biniam is ok, and it was just a funny incident (not funny anymore)!

Last edited:
Terrible story, this cork incident. I‘m really worried for him… This can‘t be true, can it?!

I already have become a big fan of him. I don‘t want this dream to end like this!…

What if he‘s permanently blind on his left eye now? I don‘t want this to be true!…

Marcel Wüst got blind on one eye in a race accident in France. He had to finish his pro career.

I want to see a successful and happy Bini for the next ten years - I hope this dream is not over now. Wevelgem and today should have been just the beginning…!

He does not deserve this accident. Praying all ends well!

Reactions: Sandisfan
its being reported that no decision will be made about whether he has to drop out until the morning. Which doesn’t sound great but does sound like it can’t be a permanent blinding or anything extremely bad like that.
If the damage was severe enough to permanently injure or fully blind his eye I wouldn't expect him to be out of the hospital yet either. It's a bizarrely unfortunate way to have to drop out of his debut GT if it comes to that but the long-term effects matter so much more in cases like this.

If the damage was severe enough to permanently injure or fully blind his eye I wouldn't expect him to be out of the hospital yet either. It's a bizarrely unfortunate way to have to drop out of his debut GT if it comes to that but the long-term effects matter so much more in cases like this.

Sure, but my assumption is that if the injury was as bad as that, they wouldn’t be talking as if there’s a good chance of him riding tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it isn't serious damage. But having scratched my eye and had treatment in hospital I can say it can be extremely painful. But this happened from simply getting a bug in my eye - I didn't have something hit my cornea head on. The pain is usually treated with anesthetic eye drops. I hope he can start tomorrow if he can he should be fine for the rest of the Giro. If not it really is tragic after his great triumph.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS