• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biniam Girmay discussion thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Who is the current youngest? Merckx? Cav?

Dietrich Thurau was 23 years 6 months when he completed stage wins in all 3 grand tours. There was a thread about it in 2011

Sagan and Pogacar could have beaten the record since then but never attempted the Giro when they had the chance. Ewan could have done it at Tour 2017 but wasn't selected. Biniam will be 23 years 5 months and 8 days on the last day of Vuelta 2023.

As we all know, Biniam had this cork accident, minutes after winning the Giro stage in May.

Does anybody of you know if this accident caused permanent damage to his eye?

If yes, does this permanent damage endanger his future career?

I like Biniam a lot, and cheer for him in every race he rides. Now I fear this promising career could already be over… :(

Reactions: Sandisfan
As we all know, Biniam had this cork accident, minutes after winning the Giro stage in May.

Does anybody of you know if this accident caused permanent damage to his eye?

If yes, does this permanent damage endanger his future career?

I like Biniam a lot, and cheer for him in every race he rides. Now I fear this promising career could already be over… :(

No, it didn't cause permanent damage.

maybe it has something to do with visa regularities and so on, but returning to Europe after Canada for more races doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Van Aert for example goes straight to Australia to prepare and acclimatize
Perhaps, yeah. But I think he still needs some more races in order to be competitive at Worlds. And he has a week between the last race in Europe and Worlds so I think he'll be fine. Under normal circumstances I would agree with you, though.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS