• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biniam Girmay discussion thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sunday will be the day he is waiting for: WC RR.

Memorial Pantani was canceled, so no race last weekend. I hope his eye is OK, and he has no disadvantage from the eye injury.

He will want to become World Champion on Sunday. I hope he achieves this goal, but it‘ll be hard vs riders like MvDP or Wout or Pogi.

Podium would be good, victory even better. He beat Laporte and Mathieu in big races this season already.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I really hope his eyes can survive all these races.

FqElv95WwA8YoEO

Disagreed.

And could you please tone it down a bit? Or just revert back to your original profile.
this is my profile and theres nothing to tone down. if you disagree doesnt matter at all cause its simply the truth of what have accured nothing to be mad about.

hes definition of over hyped and hes a mediocer cyclings nothing more no need to be mad about it.

After Trentin lets 8 riders get a gap (7 of the top-8 plus Wellens), only Powless, Turgis, Stuyven, and Alaphilippe get away from the peloton. It's not surprising that he wasn't strong enough for that, he wasn't last year neither.

My guess would be that he tried hard on the Poggio, but just couldn't make it, and that was the reason why he either didn't sprint or was too gassed to do so properly.

EDIT:
Here you can see he was in front of the bigger group with Asgreen, Valter, Politt, etc.

Sanremo poggio descent 2023, MvDP, WVA, Ganna, Pogačar, road side video. - YouTube
0Z4tEKR.png

So he attacks out of the group on the descent just at this exact spot! That explains why he didn't sprint after he was caught.

Last edited:
After Trentin lets 8 riders get a gap (7 of the top-8 plus Wellens), only Powless, Turgis, Stuyven, and Alaphilippe get away from the peloton. It's not surprising that he wasn't strong enough for that, he wasn't last year neither.

My guess would be that he tried hard on the Poggio, but just couldn't make it, and that was the reason why he either didn't sprint or was too gassed to do so properly.

EDIT:

0Z4tEKR.png

So he attacks out of the group on the descent just at this exact spot! That explains why he didn't sprint after he was caught.

I think the one on the attack might be Rota, who wasn't caught on footage on that video and finished just behind Girmay.

The italian is generally speaking a good descender so it should make sense for him going on the attack downhill and let Girmay wait on the pack.

TRENDING THREADS