• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biniam Girmay discussion thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Teunissen said that basically the whole team was sick. So that may have still played a part as well.
Seems he simply forgot to fuel.

"Nutrition has become essential in today's cycling and I have experienced that in recent races. Now I know that the next race I must eat at least 90 grams of carbohydrates per hour"

It also seems he's been relying on the wrong kind of fuel, too:

"the crowds on the cobblestones and on the slopes, their cheering gives me extra power.

If only he was allowed to wear a subcutaneous glucose monitor. Damn you UCI, damn you to hell!

Seems he simply forgot to fuel.

It also seems he's been relying on the wrong kind of fuel, too:

If only he was allowed to wear a subcutaneous glucose monitor. Damn you UCI, damn you to hell!

I can't believe he actually thinks this should be an excuse; just ridiculous. Riders have been bonking/getting the fringale since cycling long distances became a thing. Eating and drinking should be at the forefront of every professionals mind in any long race, and if a rider is that forgetful the director should be yelling at him/her every 10 minutes to not forget to set.

The fact is, like so many others he caught lightning in a bottle with once-in-a-lifetime fitness and/or other reasons which belong in another area of the forum. His team overpaid massively and we'll hear excuse after excuse until people stop bothering to interview him about it. A story we've heard time and again.

I can't believe he actually thinks this should be an excuse; just ridiculous. Riders have been bonking/getting the fringale since cycling long distances became a thing. Eating and drinking should be at the forefront of every professionals mind in any long race, and if a rider is that forgetful the director should be yelling at him/her every 10 minutes to not forget to set.

The fact is, like so many others he caught lightning in a bottle with once-in-a-lifetime fitness and/or other reasons which belong in another area of the forum. His team overpaid massively and we'll hear excuse after excuse until people stop bothering to interview him about it. A story we've heard time and again.

What a nice post...

What a nice post...
What do you expect? He has literally one job, for which he is being paid a great deal of money. Ordinarily I wouldn't say a thing, but I read this "forgot to eat" crap and the gloves come off. Try telling your employer you screwed up the most important part of your job due to forgetting one of the most basic parts of it and see how far that gets you.

As for the other part, plenty of other riders fall under the light of suspicion when their performance drops off dramatically; not sure why Binnie would get a pass.

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt
What do you expect? He has literally one job, for which he is being paid a great deal of money. Ordinarily I wouldn't say a thing, but I read this "forgot to eat" crap and the gloves come off. Try telling your employer you screwed up the most important part of your job due to forgetting one of the most basic parts of it and see how far that gets you.

As for the other part, plenty of other riders fall under the light of suspicion when their performance drops off dramatically; not sure why Binnie would get a pass.

Yeah, cause he's the only Pro who didn't take in enough fuel or didn't take enough from the last feed zone. Porte dropping back in the Tour to get a gel for Froome, springs to mind.

Yeah, cause he's the only Pro who didn't take in enough fuel or didn't take enough from the last feed zone. Porte dropping back in the Tour to get a gel for Froome, springs to mind.
Did I say he was? I'm responding specifically to him being quoted as using the "I forgot to eat" excuse, but would feel the same way about any other 'professional' forgetting to eat. Fueling is one of the most basic aspects of endurance sport and using that as an excuse just doesn't cut it.

For the record, if the winds are savage and the riders have spent the day in echelons groveling in the gutter I can understand not even having the opportunity to eat until it's too late but that is hardly the case here.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: jmdirt
It's not even the end of March.
True, but all parts of the year are not created equal and for a Belgian team like his this is one of the most important parts, if not THE most important part, and they paid him big Euro to be ready now.

He's certainly not the only rider this has ever happened to, but it's his thread so he's the topic. Personally I'd love to see him come good the next couple weeks but it's not looking promising at the moment.

Reactions: Bolder
True, but all parts of the year are not created equal and for a Belgian team like his this is one of the most important parts, if not THE most important part, and they paid him big Euro to be ready now.

He's certainly not the only rider this has ever happened to, but it's his thread so he's the topic. Personally I'd love to see him come good the next couple weeks but it's not looking promising at the moment.
Oh yeah, he will get absolutely steamrolled on Sunday. Hopefully he will bounce back in July, but this bonking theory seems kinda whack. 1) he didn't forget to eat last year, its not something you suddenly just forget 2) he's not been close to the level of last year recently, I doubt every race is down to just forgetting to eat.

Reactions: dobrien

TRENDING THREADS