Bradley Wiggins Guardian Blog

Jul 3, 2009
305
0
0
One thing which is clear cut at last is that the season will go ahead without Alberto Contador. Only he knows whether he was innocent or guilty, but the decision has been made and I think it was the right decision for the sport. If the whole affair had been drawn out any more it would have made a mockery of the system.
He is right. Absolutely.

He won't leave a massive void at the Tour in terms of the racing, because last year he was almost unnoticed until the L'Alpe d'Huez stage where he attacked early on. It was only then that we saw shades of his old self. Other people emerged – Tom Danielson, Tommy Voeckler, Pierre Rolland for example – and it will be the same this year.
Right. (Quotes by Wiggins)

Smart comments! I hope to read more soon. Seems like Wiggins is a guy who has his head not only to wear a helmet on it.
 
Jul 3, 2009
305
0
0
C'mon :) OK, let's assume for a second that those statements would not have been made by Wiggins, but by a virtual rider, let's say Robert van Heelvard, who competed in last year's Tour for a virtual team, let's say, Doodle. The comments would still remain true and clever ;-) Well said, Robert!
 
SiAp1984 said:
C'mon :) OK, let's assume for a second that those statements would not have been made by Wiggins, but by a virtual rider, let's say Robert van Heelvard, who competed in last year's Tour for a virtual team, let's say, Doodle. The comments would still remain true and clever ;-) Well said, Robert!
I admit, that is funny.
 
May 14, 2010
5,306
2
0
thehog said:
"Its the right thing for Alberto to be suspended and by the way this year we're going to smash it like Postal."
So he's saying It's the right thing for Alberto to be suspended and by the way this year we're going to totally dominate the Tour by being doped to the gills under protection?
 
He won't leave a massive void at the Tour in terms of the racing.

Aye right Brad. The void between him and AC would have been about half a Klik on La Toussuire alone. What a T*t.
 
Feb 22, 2011
305
0
0
ferryman said:
He won't leave a massive void at the Tour in terms of the racing.

Aye right Brad. The void between him and AC would have been about half a Klik on La Toussuire alone. What a T*t.
Haha yeah typical ridiculous comment from Wiggins, if Contador comes into the TdF fresh without a Giro in his legs, Wiggins would be struggling on every climb like most challengers..
 
Dec 7, 2010
5,507
0
0
Hahaha...
He won't leave a massive void at the Tour in terms of the racing, because last year he was almost unnoticed until the L'Alpe d'Huez stage where he attacked early on. It was only then that we saw shades of his old self.
Yes, Brad. One must've had to look all the way back to the Giro for Contador's "old self."

As for where his absence leaves me, when I saw he was banned I was a bit disappointed that he wasn't going to be at the Tour, because I want all the best guys to be there so that I can try to beat them. There's an element of 'I'd like to have had a go at him'. As it is, it's one rider less and one team less to think about.
I understand the competitive aspects of this, but really. Just imagine Contador's rear wheel as it goes away into the distance. It would be something like that.

On a more serious note, I'd be glad to see Wiggins win the TdF this year. It would make for a good story and would leave Schleck right where he belongs: on one of the lower steps...if there's still room left.
 
SiAp1984 said:
He is right. Absolutely.



Right. (Quotes by Wiggins)

Smart comments! I hope to read more soon. Seems like Wiggins is a guy who has his head not only to wear a helmet on it.
As others have pointed out the latter is a very dumb comment by Wiggins.

To suggests that Contador wouldnt do much in this Tour because he was weak in 2011, is absurd. Please explain how he is right?
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,394
0
0
The Hitch said:
As others have pointed out the latter is a very dumb comment by Wiggins.

To suggests that Contador wouldnt do much in this Tour because he was weak in 2011, is absurd. Please explain how he is right?
Because that's not what he's actually saying.

He's just saying that the racing will just be just as good without him (noting that it didn't really suffer from his underperformance in 2011) and that the Tour makes the stars, not vice versa.
 
Mar 17, 2009
1,863
0
0
thehog said:
"Its the right thing for Alberto to be suspended and by the way this year we're going to smash it like Postal."

Good man!
Sorry, missed that bit. Where did you see that?
 
May 20, 2010
877
0
0
Mambo95 said:
Because that's not what he's actually saying.

He's just saying that the racing will just be just as good without him (noting that it didn't really suffer from his underperformance in 2011) and that the Tour makes the stars, not vice versa.
Thats what I read as well. The racing can still be exciting without Contador being there and smoking everyone.
 
May 6, 2009
126
0
0
Yes, that's how I read it too. i.e. don't lament Contador's absence. It will still be a great race.

However, I'm not sure I agree. The whole point of the Tour is that everyone is there. All the years where a contender is absent or crashed out were disappointing in some way to me. I don't like Question marks. e.g. last year with Brad missing, the year before with chaingate and LA crashing, then going back to the mess that was 2006. Even before that I missed Beloki when he crashed (can't believe everyone remembers it for LA going off road, rather than a main contender's career ending).
 
Nov 9, 2010
295
0
0
Granville57 said:
Hahaha...
Yes, Brad. One must've had to look all the way back to the Giro for Contador's "old self."
Like Contador not being able to follow Anton on the hardest climb of the Giro?
 
Nov 9, 2010
295
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
*epic facepalm*
Which is exactly how i felt when i saw Contador wheelsucking Nibali all the way up the Zoncolan and then rode away as soon as the gradient went lower.
 
Mar 6, 2011
1,677
0
0
Jeez are ppl getting worked up over what Wiggins said? I think he was merely saying the Tour is going be exciting regardless off whose there and there will always be riders who step up. it seems some ppl are just jumping at the bit to take offense.
 
Jul 25, 2011
2,007
1
0
biopass said:
Which is exactly how i felt when i saw Contador wheelsucking Nibali all the way up the Zoncolan and then rode away as soon as the gradient went lower.
You must felt badly, he was holding the pink jersey:rolleyes:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY