• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British triathlete tests positive for Clen at ITU Colzumel

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: British triathlete tests positive for Clen at ITU Colzum

sciguy said:
You'd think any professional athlete would know not to eat the beef from this part of the world.
most definitely.
still, this being Mexico and the athlete being British, I'd be surprised if this results in a ban.

on a side, I heard some speculation/rumoring on twitter that (one of) the Brownlee brothers was on the list of dodgy blood values seen by Seppelt. But my recollection might be wrong.

Personally I think triathlons are so cruelly tough that no clean athlete could possibly dominate it like alistair brownlee has.

anyway, i heard clenbuterol is still one of the most popular weight loss drugs out there.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: British triathlete tests positive for Clen at ITU Colzum

sniper said:
sciguy said:
You'd think any professional athlete would know not to eat the beef from this part of the world.
most definitely.
still, this being Mexico and the athlete being British, I'd be surprised if this results in a ban.

on a side, I heard some speculation/rumoring on twitter that (one of) the Brownlee brothers was on the list of dodgy blood values seen by Seppelt. But my recollection might be wrong.

Personally I think triathlons are so cruelly tough that no clean athlete could possibly dominate it like alistair brownlee has.

anyway, i heard clenbuterol is still one of the most popular weight loss drugs out there.
Brownlee focusing on Iron man worlds- you are not winning that clean - not a hope, the times they are doing are ridiculous.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Of all British proathletes Alistair Altitude Brownlee is arguably one of the most obvious saucers. The sport is just too gruesomely hard to dominate it on paniagua.

Old school o2 vector doping, plus aicar, plus internal testing, plus ukad protection package. Off you go.

Very decent rewards. Little risks.

Re:

sniper said:
Of all British proathletes Alistair Altitude Brownlee is arguably one of the most obvious saucers. The sport is just too gruesomely hard to dominate it on paniagua.

Old school o2 vector doping, plus aicar, plus internal testing, plus ukad protection package. Off you go.

No reason why triathletes wouldn't dope, of course, as the rewards are considerable, but I don't see domination in the sport as a particular red flag at this stage. Its still a sport very much in the development phase at international level and the depth of competition just isn't that high, in my view, especially in the running segment.

Re:

sniper said:

More obvious than Paula, Mo, Sir Wiggo, Dawg, Muzzard...?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Point taken.
Those are more obvious :lol:

I do think that, afaict, triathlon is one of those sports where not even a doctor with real integrity would advice you to stay clean.

And this British golden era is no different than Spains golden era post-Barca-Games.
Suddenly dominating in sports where they've never dominated before.
There is no commonsense reason whatsoever to hypothesize that Brownlee is clean.

Re:

sniper said:
Point taken.
Those are more obvious :lol:

I do think that, afaict, triathlon is one of those sports where not even a doctor with real integrity would advice you to stay clean.

And this British golden era is no different than Spains golden era post-Barca-Games.
Suddenly dominating in sports where they've never dominated before.
There is no commonsense reason whatsoever to hypothesize that Brownlee is clean.

I don't doubt for a second about Triathlon being a sport where juicers dominate. Just be careful though, you'll have the proof police coming after you telling you 'to provide some proof' when you say 'There is no commonsense reason whatsoever to hypothesize that Brownlee is clean.'

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

CTQ said:
https://www.tri247.com/article_15470.html

BTF responds to 'positive' Cozumel test
Cheers.
So as I thought, nothing to see here, case closed, move on.
Every athlete knows that you shouldn't eat meat in China or Mexico, but hey, this being a Brit...

From your link, I thought this was interesting:
An Interesting aside - WADA and Testing in Mexico

Here's an interesting aside - possibly unrelated to this specific case? - but interesting nonetheless. Just over two weeks ago, WADA (World Anti Doping Authority) suspended, for a period of up to six months, the accreditation of the Laboratorio Nacional de Prevencion y Control del Dopaje-CONADE (the “Laboratory”) in Mexico City, Mexico. The announcement states "The decision to suspend the laboratory is a direct result of the more stringent quality assessment procedures enacted by WADA to ensure laboratories maintain the highest standards."

Was this laboratory even involved in the testing? I don't have access to that information - but a look at the WADA list of accredited and approved laboratories suggest that it is the only one in Mexico.
That's a clear message from WADA: don't mess with clean British athletes or we take away your accreditation.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

simoni said:
sniper said:

No reason why triathletes wouldn't dope, of course, as the rewards are considerable, but I don't see domination in the sport as a particular red flag at this stage. Its still a sport very much in the development phase at international level and the depth of competition just isn't that high, in my view, especially in the running segment.
I don't know have you fully grasped doping and sport. Where there is sport at a high level and money involved people will cheat. That's where there is only one event to do- back to back three different disciplines and no doping- where there is dominance shared between two Spaniards and the two Brits..cmon...and now one of them is going for Iron Man- clean..no chance.

noddy69 said:
simoni said:
sniper said:

I don't know have you fully grasped doping and sport. Where there is sport at a high level and money involved people will cheat. That's where there is only one event to do- back to back three different disciplines and no doping- where there is dominance shared between two Spaniards and the two Brits..cmon...and now one of them is going for Iron Man- clean..no chance.
Not only that, but triathlon is huge throughout the world. Much bigger than cycling.

BullsFan22 said:
armchairclimber said:
Plenty of Brits at it....but the Brownlees are not hot candidates for doping (reasons I have explained in the clinic before).

I don't doubt that you have explained it before, but some of us may not have seen it or don't remember, why do you think they might not be juicing?

Well, this kind of thing is part of it.
https://t.co/1KJco27BrY

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
We see the core of sport.
No one is paying to watch, no one is getting payed to participate or for winning (?).
Participants are in it for personal joy/excitement/experience/challenge.

I like what I see. Doping can still be a factor.

Re:

Nicko. said:
No one is paying to watch, no one is getting payed to participate or for winning (?).

That is part of it. I would also argue that an athlete who enters a local fell race, in his club vest, for fun and nothing else, does not fit very well the profile of someone determined enough to win the big pro prizes that they would dope. There is a substantial risk of injury in a fell race. That event that Brownlee junior is competing in (Chevin Chase) has plenty of ankle snapping potential. He's clearly not hanging about either because the athlete behind him is an international class mountain runner.

The instance I previously referenced was J Brownlee running the Yorkshire X Country championships for his club, whilst carrying an injury, in Olympic year. He actually aggravated the injury during the event.

Both brothers regularly turn out for fun at these "doing it for the love of the sport" fell/x country races. It doesn't seem to me to be consistent with a "win at all costs", "professional" attitude to sport. Why take the trouble to have a doping programme if you're going to risk a broken ankle running "meaningless" fell races.

I can tell you why they do it. It's because they grew up running these fell races as juniors. They love them ... as do all the other participants. It's a big part of sporting culture in their part of the world. And it's fun.

Edit: In answer to Nicko, the prizes for most of the fell events they run in are things like chocolate, wine or maltloaf (honestly).

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
So every doper has a "win at all costs" mentality and aren't capable of doing anything for fun?
Mkay.
Even though the majority of dopers hardly ever win anything in the first place.

If this is how we're going to identify dopers and clean guys...
Yikes.

Sagan is clean after all. Choosing the Olympic MTB race over the road race.
Federer playing charity games. Cleans!

Re:

sniper said:
So every doper has a "win at all costs" mentality?
Mkay.
Even though the majority of dopers don't ever win anything in their lives..

If this is how we're going to identify dopers and clean guys...
Yikes.

Well, you understood and acknowledged the point I was making the last time sniper. I can only presume that you've spent too much time in the clinic in the interim.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

armchairclimber said:
Well, you understood and acknowledged the point I was making the last time sniper. I can only presume that you've spent too much time in the clinic in the interim.
if you lack arguments that's not an excuse to start trolling acc.
that said, yes, way too much time in the clinic. ;)

sniper said:
armchairclimber said:
if you lack arguments that's not an excuse to start trolling acc.
that said, yes, way too much time in the clinic. ;)

It's easily done. I cured myself. Only stop by occasionally now.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Brownlee taking two years off to go long seems suspicious.
Jorgensen dominating almost every race she enters?
long course Ryf beat all other women at Kona by 20 minutes after training in some remote island in south pacific
On the men's side the guy that finished 3rd broke the marathon record, looked so fresh Frodo had to tell him to calm down at the finish line

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

armchairclimber said:
Nicko. said:

That is part of it. I would also argue that an athlete who enters a local fell race, in his club vest, for fun and nothing else, does not fit very well the profile of someone determined enough to win the big pro prizes that they would dope. There is a substantial risk of injury in a fell race. That event that Brownlee junior is competing in (Chevin Chase) has plenty of ankle snapping potential. He's clearly not hanging about either because the athlete behind him is an international class mountain runner.

The instance I previously referenced was J Brownlee running the Yorkshire X Country championships for his club, whilst carrying an injury, in Olympic year. He actually aggravated the injury during the event.

Both brothers regularly turn out for fun at these "doing it for the love of the sport" fell/x country races. It doesn't seem to me to be consistent with a "win at all costs", "professional" attitude to sport. Why take the trouble to have a doping programme if you're going to risk a broken ankle running "meaningless" fell races.

I can tell you why they do it. It's because they grew up running these fell races as juniors. They love them ... as do all the other participants. It's a big part of sporting culture in their part of the world. And it's fun.

Edit: In answer to Nicko, the prizes for most of the fell events they run in are things like chocolate, wine or maltloaf (honestly).
Loving the sport and wanting to race doesn't mean you don't dope to earn big money. I come from the school of thought that says the top amateurs are probably doping to some degree to win these races.
These country races are great fun and absolutely consistent with a win at all costs attitude to racing- because they are racing and that's why you enter.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

unamused said:
Brownlee taking two years off to go long seems suspicious.
Jorgensen dominating almost every race she enters?
long course Ryf beat all other women at Kona by 20 minutes after training in some remote island in south pacific
On the men's side the guy that finished 3rd broke the marathon record, looked so fresh Frodo had to tell him to calm down at the finish line
Top 3 German:
4 of top 5 German
5 of top 7 German

Hint for any aspiring Iron man champ- get your dope where these guys do.