• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brotherly Love

Andy Schleck said in an interview that "we" want to win the Tour de France, and if Fränk wins it would make him just as happy as when he wins himself. Although they have four or five rivals left, their dream of both making the podium is becoming more realistic. We have had situations in the past with two team mates aiming for the big win (Hinault-Lemond, Riis-Ullrich), but never before with two brothers.

On Luz-Ardiden we saw Big Schleck attacking, and Baby Schleck riding more passively. Is Fränk currently better, or is Andy just waiting for the next mountain stages to take over? And couldn't there be any sort of rivalry between them? I wouldn't like to lose to my brother!

I also wonder what they would prefer: finishing first and twelfth, or second and third. In Liege they seemed to prefer the second, but that's hardly comparable to the TdF.

Big Schleck
ffff.jpg

Baby Schleck
zzz.jpg

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Andy seemed pretty tired after the finish, while Frank seemed rather lively. I think currently Frank is simply better. Doesn't mean that can't change the next stages of course, but i doubt it was a coincidence that Frank and not Andy rode away from the others.

I agree. Frank looked better on Luz Ardiden and Andy looked a little stressed at the finish. But realistically, they can keep playing their 1-2 card until one gets a decisive time gain. If Frank goes, Cadel, Basso et al have to chase and Andy can sit on and counter later - and the reverse is still very true. I see it almost identical to the Valverde/Sastre scenario a few years ago. It bodes well for them, and I'm sure they have it worked out.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
Andy Schleck said in an interview that "we" want to win the Tour de France...
Good thread topic. I've been thinking about this issue for some time now.

It always irked me a bit (a lot) in the past when the Sisters Schleck seemed to be seeking some sort of sympathy when they weren't able to fully compete as a duo, as if it to imply that it was only a fair competition if it were "two against one." A subtle undertone of that sentiment seemed to creep into the media narrative as well. But it wasn't enough for one of them to win, they wanted to stand One & Two on the podium. But that also seemed to come with a certain degree of "entitlement" that I've also found quite off-putting.

Granted, their shared family dream has the makings of a lethal combination. What two other riders have ever planned to work so well together with such a unified vision? Imagine if Alberto Contador and Samuel Sanchez rode for the same team, for a number of years together, and were able to put their own ambitions aside to revel in the successes of the other as much as their own, with no personal jealously or financial friction to muddy the waters. It would be devastatingly effective.

But it can also make for some boring racing, as happened at times in the 2009 Tour when the Shclecklets were overly concerned with one another, looking over their shoulders, waiting and watching so as not to upset the family dream too much. Unless you're related to them, I just don't see the appeal.

I also wonder what they would prefer: finishing first and twelfth, or second and third.
First and...whatever. Without a doubt, they want that top podium step. Matching victories can be a dream for the future, but they must win something first.

Hopefully, the sport itself won't have to suffer too much in their quest for sibling success. I suppose I should just be glad they're not twins.

(Nothing against twins. I dated one for quite a few years.) :)

A win for Frank is a win for Andy. If Frank has a chance, Andy will give up his for him. I bet Andy would even give Frank his bike if Frank punctured. They are the best teammates you could have. This is no Hinault-LeMond situation, not even in the same dimension. I've never even seen a hint of such a thing.

If Contador keeps underperforming, I'm definitely going with Frank for the win. Andy will carry Frank on his back if he must. I think Frank was highly underrated coming into the tour.

I wanted to add that I did like their tactics the day before yesterday. Andy's fake attack worked well to get Frank ready for the real attack. They also played it out perfectly since they waited for Europcar to set the pace until they attacked.

Pantani_lives said:
Andy Schleck said in an interview that "we" want to win the Tour de France, and if Fränk wins it would make him just as happy as when he wins himself.

The biggest crap one could ever read. Andy wants to win for Andy and thats it. Do i have to mention La Vuelta last year?

On Luz-Ardiden we saw Big Schleck attacking, and Baby Schleck riding more passively. Is Fränk currently better, or is Andy just waiting for the next mountain stages to take over? And couldn't there be any sort of rivalry between them? I wouldn't like to lose to my brother!

They are both riding for this very obstacle. Everything they do leads up to this very moment. To be good at the Tour. When July is over they both disappear to show up the next July. Of course there is a rivalry given their slim agenda and one-dimensioned build up on the season.

I also wonder what they would prefer: finishing first and twelfth, or second and third. In Liege they seemed to prefer the second, but that's hardly comparable to the TdF.

If you are obsessed with one obstacle at the year. And thinks that riding for example the Giro will totally ruin that obstacle (you are not as good riding both that is) nothing besides first place will count. And that counts for both of them no matter what they say.

rzombie1988 said:
If Contador keeps underperforming, I'm definitely going with Frank for the win. Andy will carry Frank on his back if he must. I think Frank was highly underrated coming into the tour.

I agree. People also forget that Frank got very, very close to winning the Tour de France in 2008. Ok, some say Sastre wasn't a worthy winner either, but it is what it is. I'm still not even convinced Andy is that much better than Frank in the first place.

spalco said:
People also forget that Frank got very, very close to winning the Tour de France in 2008.QUOTE]

I agree that there's not much between Frank and Andy, though I think it's an overstatement to say that 6th, 4:28 from the winner is "very, very close" (though he did hold yellow deep in the race).

Frank's time trial at the 2008 Tour was appalling but, largely on the strength of his 2010 Tour de Suisse time trial, I think he's improved significantly since then.

The Barb said:
I agree that there's not much between Frank and Andy, though I think it's an overstatement to say that 6th, 4:28 from the winner is "very, very close" (though he did hold yellow deep in the race).

Frank's time trial at the 2008 Tour was appalling but, largely on the strength of his 2010 Tour de Suisse time trial, I think he's improved significantly since then.

That time gap is a little misleading because the crucial point was the Alpe d'Huez stage where Frank was leading the race but couldn't attack after Sastre got away. I've read that it wasn't supposed to go down that way, that Riis wanted Frank to win, but the race developed in a way that was just unfortunate for him.

Maybe he would have lost it in the TT, who knows, but we have seen many times how much energy the yellow jersey gives a rider.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
No_Balls said:
The biggest crap one could ever read. Andy wants to win for Andy and thats it. Do i have to mention La Vuelta last year?

They are both riding for this very obstacle. Everything they do leads up to this very moment. To be good at the Tour. When July is over they both disappear to show up the next July. Of course there is a rivalry given their slim agenda and one-dimensioned build up on the season.

If you are obsessed with one obstacle at the year. And thinks that riding for example the Giro will totally ruin that obstacle (you are not as good riding both that is) nothing besides first place will count. And that counts for both of them no matter what they say.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
only child

spalco said:
That time gap is a little misleading because the crucial point was the Alpe d'Huez stage where Frank was leading the race but couldn't attack after Sastre got away. I've read that it wasn't supposed to go down that way, that Riis wanted Frank to win, but the race developed in a way that was just unfortunate for him.

Maybe he would have lost it in the TT, who knows, but we have seen many times how much energy the yellow jersey gives a rider.

The supposed idea was the old fashioned 1-2, but Sastre was too strong and they let him get too far before chasing, so the Schlecks ended up simply playing watchdogs.

Here is a quote from Frank talking about Andy:

""Andy was very strong and it was perfect. I told him to go and when to wait and we had really good communication, but it's just a pity we couldn't take time out of anybody, but that's how it is. There's still a lot of days to come.""

Andy needs to think for himself - he is constantly waiting to see what Frank thinks.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck-brothers-lament-a-lack-of-support

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
pfft!

When I read that these brothers "take turns attacking" ... I throw up in my mouth a little bit. Calling what I have seen this year "attacking" is just plain sad. That style of "racing" was at one time only tolerated in match sprints on the track...these guys get to call the ultimate in lazy "professional" or "world-class" or "GC-contender" ... well of course, it's like miss and out with no risk of being pulled...

Go watch the movie "Surrogate" ... thats where these kind of riders, and their fans/haters are taking our beloved sport...no heart, no soul, no real riding.

"three hundred quatloos for the newcomer"

If there were a chorus in the background, they'd all be singing tenor.

Basso also made an interesting comment about the Schleck's tactics on Plateau de Beille. He said that an attack should be prepared by maintaining a high pace for several kilometers in order to make the group smaller. If someone can accelerate than, it's much harder to react.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-critical-of-schleck-tactics-on-plateau-de-beille

Now they try to attack, but immediately look over their shoulder. Then they start looking at each other, the pace drops, and Pierre Rolland can ride his controlling tempo again, the tempo that Voeckler likes.

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with Basso. But the main problem was that they didn't let it explode on the bottom of the climb. Thats the reason why guys like Voeckler, Peraud and Rolland could hang on. The pace in the beginning of the climb was to slow to make a big difference. Hopefully there will be more fireworks in the alps!

TRENDING THREADS