• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Bruyneel Found Levi's Blood Bag

Jun 16, 2010
180
0
0
Levi just won the Tour of Utah, despite losing significant time in Saturday's circuit race. The Colombian team had led until the time trial. They swore they would throw everything they had at Team Radio Shack.

But the talent of a half-dozen Colombian climbers in their prime was no match for Bruyneel's doping regime working on an over-the-hill rider. Levi was able to stick with the top Colombian, coasted in for second place on the stage and first overall in the GC.

I wonder if the UCI banned drug testing for the ToU like they did for the ToC? And how much does Bruyneel have to pay McQuaid to make these ridiculously outrageous decisions?

To get a good flavor of Bruyneel's role as "the doping doctor", go to:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/graham-bensinger/floyd-landis-lance-armstrong-_b_904123.html

Scroll down to the bottom video (full interview), and forward the slider to around 11:00. They are discussing the "doping in the team bus" episode and the interviewer asks what was Bruyneel's role. What a slime bag. The name of his book should have been "Might as Well Dope".
 
May 23, 2011
943
0
0
What is the off-score of this slimeball when he races in the U.S.? In europe it was 132.8. Does he race at140.0 when in the U.S.?

It is sickening to see a scumbag like Levi testify to the grand jury and then continue to steal races. At least Hincapie has the class to mostly fade into support and mentorship role. This is a giant FU to the sport by Leipheimer. When his grand jury testimony comes out, we will be left with a record of his doping for the last ten years and a list of races that he rushed to screw over before being forced out of cycling.

EDIT: Dang! I was hoping to delete the post that this originally came from, but it appears that the first post of a thread cannot be deleted.
 
Jun 16, 2010
180
0
0
Well stated! The thing that I don't get is how much Bruyneel must be paying McQuaid to prevent anti-doping tests:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...ifornia_173010

It's obvious by now that Verdruggen was on the take (I'd like to see his Swiss bank accounts!), but I was hoping that McQuaid was only trying to cover up the UCI's past transgressions and not perpetuating them. But I guess I was wrong.
 
Not that Henao was any better. Well, the entire Gobernacion team has got to be on something...

But this Levi crap has been going on for way too long, he should've been banned a long time ago.
 
May 23, 2011
943
0
0
The sad thing is that the races that he is screwing over are mostly American races. The race organizers will be left with the embarrassing task of doing a mea culpa to their sponsors by admitting that the winner for the past few years was doped to the moon. That is sure to leave a bad taste in the mouths of the sponsors and scare away other sponsors. Way to crap on American cycling, Levi.
 
Jun 16, 2010
180
0
0
jsem94 said:
Not that Henao was any better. Well, the entire Gobernacion team has got to be on something...

But this Levi crap has been going on for way too long, he should've been banned a long time ago.
Agree with your Levi comment. Am wondering about the Colombian team comment. Back when I used to race in the early '80s, there was no way that the Colombians were doping. They were insane climbers, but poor time trialers and poor descenders.

I had the opportunity to spend a week racing and training in Colombia for the '84 Pan-American Cycling Championships and found out first hand why they had the skill set they did. All of the roads were steep and winding. When all of your training is on steep hills, you naturally become a good climber. Throw in high elevations and you get even better.

They couldn't time trial because there was no road that was straight and flat to practice on. And you could NOT practice descending in Colombia. There, all of the traffic controls are basically ignored. A red light means "slow down a little before you go through". And the double-yellow line on the mountain road didn't mean anything. If you tried to practice your descending, you would die.

I didn't follow the ToU in minute detail, but didn't they beat everyone on the climbs and lose the race on the time trial? Assuming that's the case, it sounds just like the Colombians of thirty years ago. But given the easy access to PED's these days, I'm sure it would be easy for the Colombians to dope if they wanted to.
 
Feb 16, 2011
1,133
0
0
If anything, it means Bruyneel wants his riders to win in the team jersey even though they are on the nose with Der Boss (I realise The Hog is steering clear of the US for the mo.)

This is unlike that high school queen bee Vaughters.
 
This is getting ridiculous. The last solid intelligence we have on Levi was from, what, 2006? As it stands, this is just another "let's bash whoever wins" thread, even if this time the winner does have a proven doping history. Levi is not anything special. You guys bring up the bullying and the mafioso lifestyle to justify tearing down some riders, acknowledging that doping was and is a part of the game and not enough reason to judge someone on a moral basis. Well, I'm not aware of Levi doing any of that stuff.

Yes, he's a doper. His doping history spans at the very least a whole decade, and more likely over 15 years. It's quite likely he's doping right now. But the Tour of Utah isn't evidence of a damned thing, and I feel the generalization of these knee-jerk reaction threads is really, really bringing down the quality of the discussion at the Clinic.
 
May 23, 2011
943
0
0
hrotha said:
This is getting ridiculous. The last solid intelligence we have on Levi was from, what, 2006? As it stands, this is just another "let's bash whoever wins" thread, even if this time the winner does have a proven doping history. Levi is not anything special. You guys bring up the bullying and the mafioso lifestyle to justify tearing down some riders, acknowledging that doping was and is a part of the game and not enough reason to judge someone on a moral basis. Well, I'm not aware of Levi doing any of that stuff.

Yes, he's a doper. His doping history spans at the very least a whole decade, and more likely over 15 years. It's quite likely he's doping right now. But the Tour of Utah isn't evidence of a damned thing, and I feel the generalization of these knee-jerk reaction threads is really, really bringing down the quality of the discussion at the Clinic.
So your argument is that even though you acknowledge that he is a cheat, we should not get worked up about it?

People get worked up about it because having a stench like Levi continue to hang over the sport damages the credibility of cycling. This guy is a Damocles sword in human form. He could fall at any moment, damaging american stage races that appear to finally have a chance to grow into long lasting institutions of cycling in this country.
 
Damiano Machiavelli said:
So your argument is that even though you acknowledge that he is a cheat, we should not get worked up about it?

People get worked up about it because having a stench like Levi continue to hang over the sport damages the credibility of cycling. This guy is a Damocles sword in human form. He could fall at any moment, damaging american stage races that appear to finally have a chance to grow into long lasting institutions of cycling in this country.
My argument is that there's nothing to discuss here that hasn't been discussed thousands of times before. Unfortunately the signal-to-noise ratio seems to be at an all-time low around here.
 
May 7, 2009
1,211
0
0
This is a good example of why having it take so long for the truth to come out (whatever that truth really is) is so destructive to cycling. The sooner all this stuff is aired-out, the better, IMO
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,827
0
0
hrotha said:
My argument is that there's nothing to discuss here that hasn't been discussed thousands of times before. Unfortunately the signal-to-noise ratio seems to be at an all-time low around here.
"Thousands of times before" yes thats true.
SSDD. SSDD.

But "Lance flushing Levi's blood" is a new one thank you.

BTW, I always wondered how that false rumour that "Lance flushed Floyd's blood" started.
It wasn't me I swear:)
 
Sep 5, 2009
1,223
0
0
Polish said:
"Thousands of times before" yes thats true.
SSDD. SSDD.

But "Lance flushing Levi's blood" is a new one thank you.

BTW, I always wondered how that false rumour that "Lance flushed Floyd's blood" started.
It wasn't me I swear:)
Blame IM message between FA and JV (referred to in David Walsh book "From Lance to Landis") as being deposed in SCA tribunal hearing:

http://roadriding.blogspot.com/2007/07/from-lance-to-landis.html

“It’s also interesting to note that during a deposition, an instant message conversation between Frankie Andreu and Jonathan Vaughters was entered as evidence. During the conversation between the two former teammates, Vaughters explains to Andreu that Landis told him that on the second rest day of the 2004 Tour de France, both Armstrong and the team’s director, Johan Bruyneel, called Landis to the bathroom so he could watch as the two men flushed his blood refill down the toilet.”
 
Velodude said:
Blame IM message between FA and JV (referred to in David Walsh book "From Lance to Landis") as being deposed in SCA tribunal hearing:
Mind you, Landis himself wasn't quite sure where JV got that from. According to him, they flushed their blood bags alright - Floyd and everyone else's, because their performance was a bit too farcical and they didn't need the boost.

And that's something. When Bruyneel decides you're straining credibility and that you don't need anything extra because you're good enough already, you know things got serious. It's like when Dr. Michele EPO-Is-Like-Orange-Juice Ferrari suggests cutting down on your program because it might be getting dangerous.
 
Sep 5, 2009
1,223
0
0
hrotha said:
Mind you, Landis himself wasn't quite sure where JV got that from. According to him, they flushed their blood bags alright - Floyd and everyone else's, because their performance was a bit too farcical and they didn't need the boost.

And that's something. When Bruyneel decides you're straining credibility and that you don't need anything extra because you're good enough already, you know things got serious. It's like when Dr. Michele EPO-Is-Like-Orange-Juice Ferrari suggests cutting down on your program because it might be getting dangerous.
It is farcical when compared to the historic facts for 2004 TdF.

After the second rest day in Nimes Armstrong was not in yellow.

The next five days before the leisurely jaunt into Paris comprised 3 difficult days of multiple alpine climbs (stages 15, 17 & 18).

Stage 16 was an ITT ascent up L'Alpe d'Huez.

Stage 19 was a 55kms ITT over a difficult undulating course with only 5kms of flat road.

And Bruyneel and Armstrong flushed all top up blood bags (with Landis as a witness) cos the team was on top of their game after stage 14? :rolleyes:

Or was it that Bruyneel & Armstrong were p-i-s-s-e-d off with Landis cos he was not signing up to a future contract?

Landis in his interview with Kimmage revealed that those same gentlemen in 2004 were trying to tyrranise him into re-signing with the team by forcing him to do most of the USPS domestique work on the front.
 
No, Armstrong wasn't in yellow. Voeckler was. I'm sure they were worried about that one. If you don't like my story, blame Landis; he was the one who told it. Do you think if it had been some kind of personal punishment he wouldn't have said so? That story would paint Bruyneel and Armstrong in a bad light and, more importantly, would be HILARIOUS. No way Floyd Honeybadger Landis wouldn't have confirmed it if it were true.
 
Mar 8, 2010
3,169
0
0
I do feel this development is significant enough to warrant independence from the existing thread on this individual.
 
May 18, 2010
366
0
0
Don't pat Damiano Machiavelli on the back, he is just (still..) ****ed because Levi gave Cunego a good beating in tour de suisse.. ;)
 
Feb 10, 2010
8,095
0
0
hrotha said:
This is getting ridiculous. The last solid intelligence we have on Levi was from, what, 2006?... Yes, he's a doper. His doping history spans at the very least a whole decade, and more likely over 15 years. It's quite likely he's doping right now. But the Tour of Utah isn't evidence of a damned thing, and I feel the generalization of these knee-jerk reaction threads is really, really bringing down the quality of the discussion at the Clinic.
+1

Tour of Utah, even more than the Tour of California is indicative of very little. There's too much variation in performance, doped or not...
 
Aug 19, 2010
65
0
0
You people are ridiculous.

So anyone that wins is cheating?

What are you, French???

Levi was having a pretty good year; it's not likely he out climbed Andy Schleck & Contador...

Get a life and stop with the conspiracy theory BS.

:p
 
jae2460 said:
You people are ridiculous.

So anyone that wins is cheating?

What are you, French???

Levi was having a pretty good year; it's not likely he out climbed Andy Schleck & Contador...

Get a life and stop with the conspiracy theory BS.

:p
its suspiscious if you beat henao by 23 seconds,its a nono

true story
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
jae2460 said:
You people are ridiculous.

So anyone that wins is cheating?

What are you, French???

Levi was having a pretty good year; it's not likely he out climbed Andy Schleck & Contador...

Get a life and stop with the conspiracy theory BS.

:p
Humm, lets see. Levi's Blood values were so extreme that the UCI warned his manager

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5128/Holczer-Leipheimer-had-suspicious-blood-values-during-the-2005-Tour-de-France.aspx

Levi used to buy drugs from Contador's "Coach"
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis-contadors-coach-was-a-drug-trafficker

hardly a conspiracy to think that Levi is/was a doper
 
Jun 8, 2010
934
0
0
Race Radio said:
Humm, lets see. Levi's Blood values were so extreme that the UCI warned his manager

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5128/Holczer-Leipheimer-had-suspicious-blood-values-during-the-2005-Tour-de-France.aspx

Levi used to buy drugs from Contador's "Coach"
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis-contadors-coach-was-a-drug-trafficker

hardly a conspiracy to think that Levi is/was a doper
point is, there is nothing specific about the Tour of Utah. Besides, you're cherry picking from the past. LL was also given a 4/10 on the UCI's leaked list last year. Hardly noteworthy. The whole X won y, therefore X is doping is a pretty uninteresting inference. No doubt LL has a doping past, but that should be the 'prior' for all top 10-20 riders from a major tour anyway.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS