• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Rojas win green?

Will Rojas win the Points competition?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Rojas continues to be right up there in every sprint. I'm really starting to think he can it. Tomorrow he should get a further advantage on all of the pure sprinters. So, what do you guys think?

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes I hope so, he hardly ever wins stages but is always so very close. I think he can do it if he keeps on finishing like this and gathering points in the mountains :).

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Wait, the thread says "Can he?" but the poll says "Will he?"

He CAN, but I'm still undecided on whether he will. EDIT: Made up my mind, he won't.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Yep, he has a good shot and clearly riding well and scoring good points consistently and I think given some of these sprint finishes he may come up with a win. Stage 6 he'd would have a good chance I think.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
No longer in green-Gilbert in Green

Rojas and Boonen just lost their points from mid-race sprint. Commie decision to much swerving.

Gilbert in green.

We'll see if this ****es Rojas off to much, maybe he'll get even more motivated.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
I didn't see the mid-race sprint, but can anyone tell me if the racecommisaries are being sissies like they were with Hushovd and Cavendish?

During the sprint, Rojas swerved all the way across the road as Boonen and Cav were trying to pass, cutting of Cav. Then, Boonen swerved all the way back across the road and pinched out Rojas.

Does anyone know the revised Points classification?

Regarding intermediate sprints, I would rate stage 9 the most interesting. Eight climbs in total, six (3 3rd, 3 2nd) of them before the sprint which is only 30 km from the finish. That is probably best chance for Rojas to take gap on Cavendish if he can survive those climbs in the peloton and Cav not.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Finn84 said:
Regarding intermediate sprints, I would rate stage 9 the most interesting. Eight climbs in total, six (3 3rd, 3 2nd) of them before the sprint which is only 30 km from the finish. That is probably best chance for Rojas to take gap on Cavendish if he can survive those climbs in the peloton and Cav not.

I think you're forgetting Gilbert, he can take points on the same stages.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Finn84 said:

Rojas can easily get through those, IMO he climbs well enough to be a good GC rider if he wanted it.

Praetor said:

Yes, but could he outsprint Rojas to the line? Gilbert could definitely, definitely protect a lead there, but if Rojas pulls level or gets ahead with a couple of sprints, could he take it back? Gilbert showed an interest in last year's Vuelta points jersey for quite some time so I think he'd be willing to get in a number of breaks for it, and probably get it by outlasting Rojas if that's the case.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Yes, but could he outsprint Rojas to the line? Gilbert could definitely, definitely protect a lead there, but if Rojas pulls level or gets ahead with a couple of sprints, could he take it back? Gilbert showed an interest in last year's Vuelta points jersey for quite some time so I think he'd be willing to get in a number of breaks for it, and probably get it by outlasting Rojas if that's the case.

Don't think Movistar will let Gilbert go in any of the breaks, at the Giro Astana guys had to break their backs to get one rider in the break even in the 3rd week, after all the *** thrown at Movistar in the last few months points jersey is the only thing achievable for them at the tour and they'll put all able guys on it to help Rojas.

Praetor said:

Thor has proven surprising in the past on some of the mountain stage sprints too. IIRC that's how he beat out Cav in 2009 for the green jersey despite Cav's six stage wins.

Gilbert, Rojas, Hushovd... with all due respect to Cav, I think these three guys have the best shot at the green.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
patrick767 said:
Thor has proven surprising in the past on some of the mountain stage sprints too. IIRC that's how he beat out Cav in 2009 for the green jersey despite Cav's six stage wins.

Gilbert, Rojas, Hushovd... with all due respect to Cav, I think these three guys have the best shot at the green.

Hushovd is not going for green.

sultanofhyd said:
Hushovd is not going for green.

That surprises me. I looked it up and sure enough, he wants to support Farrar. That's absurd, IMO. Thor has won green before and could do it again. Why support Farrar? It looks like the course favors the likes of Rojas, Thor, and Gilbert over pure, flat finish sprinters. Besides, Farrar will be unlikely to beat Cav, let alone Rojas and Gilbert.

Crazy team strategy by Garmin...

sultanofhyd said:
Don't think Movistar will let Gilbert go in any of the breaks, at the Giro Astana guys had to break their backs to get one rider in the break even in the 3rd week, after all the *** thrown at Movistar in the last few months points jersey is the only thing achievable for them at the tour and they'll put all able guys on it to help Rojas.

Movistar themselves continue to state that stage wins are their goal and they weren't expecting to defend green too strongly. JJ is free to go for green, but the others are free hands for the time being. Now, if we go through another week or so and he's got the jersey back and looking good for form as the race heads into the mountains, that's when you might see them pulling back breaks with Gilbert in and so on.

I think they could target the GPM in the right breaks, but ultimately like last year they'll fall just short, this time because a secondary GC rider takes it.

TRENDING THREADS