• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Can someone help me identify this bike please

Sep 16, 2019
Visit site
I bought this bike for 150 euros but am doubting whether or not it's genuine. Does anyone have any idea?? If it's not a genuine Colnago do you think it's worth 150 euros or should I try and get some money back from the guy (it was advertised as a Colnago). I'm not at all knowledgeable about vintage bikes so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much

Last edited:
I'll take a look when I get chance. It'll really depend where you are and what the second hand market is like there and, crucially, the state the bike is in which can't be assessed from photos. A working, second hand road bike with no issues and a fairly decent drive chain for 150 euros isn't usually a bad deal.

Just saying..I would enjoy the bike regardless. I bought Colnago decal sets off of ebay and put them on a $99 dollar frame that I bought from Performance Bicycle..also I put them on a Kent grocery getter bike..
seriously though..I am not familiar w that bike but..is the steerer tube a little bent? I looked at the photos and again I am no Sheldon Brown..but at the very least take the front end apart and do a good visual inspection..
Enjoy the bike..

Had a look at the photos. It's not a Colnago, just been stickered up as one. Unchained's question about the steerer tube/fork is a good one. They can look bent in photos when they're not, but it's definitely something to make sure of. Groupset is a mix of RX100 and Exage by what I can see (I always preferred the dimpled Exage shifters, the RX100s were shiny and slippy) but I don't recognise the crankset. The groupset looks in decent condition in the photos, chainrings seem fairly fresh, cassette looks good, everything looks clean and I can't see any obvious rust which usually means it's been well looked after. Obviously you might have cleaned it up yourself but even if you did it seems in decent condition. I'd check the barrel adjusters on the brakes turn smoothly and consider replacing the cables, and possibly outers, and it needs some fresh bar tape. I'd also check the rims on the wheels and make sure they're not too worn, grease the bearings, check the seat-post moves, check stem and handlebars adjust and so on.

The brake block on the photo from the front looks a little close to the tyre. Could just be the photo but I'd also check that's sitting properly, and the other 3 are, and not rubbing the sidewall.

All in all it looks like a decent bike for the money. I can't tell if the saddle is an older Rolls or one of the modern ones from the photo, pretty sure it's a modern one, but just that saddle alone would cost you somewhere around 60-80 euros new I would think. Chuck in the groupset, frameset and wheels and I think you've paid a fair price, even if it needs a little work. Do check out that fork though.

Could it be a Gitane frame? (I'm just guessing, whatever it is it's obviously vintage. Could be any one of these, with some exceptions, of course. The biggest exception being the rear brake cable is situated atop of the top tube. https://www.velovilles.com/en/parts/frames/ )

If you want some real fun remove the decals and the paint job (very carefully, of course), and see what kind of secrets this bike may hold underneath.

Besides what KB said I would take a very close look at the front derailleur cable, I'm not liking that frayed look of it at all.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Need better pictures of lugs and bottom bracket, including the bottom. The seat stays at top tube lug do not look "Colnago" like to me though. Not as worried about the Columbus tubing sticker being missing, as it is pretty common from what I've seen. If it is a real Colnago, then maybe something like an 80s Super. Round tube, non chromed lugs.

TRENDING THREADS