• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Can we trust a past doper?

Aug 27, 2012
1,436
0
0
Visit site
Seems a critical question as the sport moves forward and so many people have been implicated.

More importantly, under what conditions?

I say yes we can, provided they own up and publicly pledge 100% clean riding going forward.

And I'd also say 3 strikes and you're gone forever. To prevent the whole false positive debate. and the steak. and the spiked drink.
 
Can i trust a rider who has doped in the past is now riding clean?
No

UCI need to clamp down hard and issue lifetime bans. It may seem harsh but why give dopers a second chance?

Why not go a step futher and issue team sactions like loss of World tour license if a rider is caught doping?

We have plenty of riders and teams willing to replace them
 
Sep 21, 2012
296
0
0
Visit site
bangnz said:
Why not go a step futher and issue team sactions like loss of World tour license if a rider is caught doping?
It doesn't sound like a bad idea.
But AG2R Steve Houanard is a good example of why that's problematical.
A rogue rider, without a contract for next year, is desperate for a chance to land a job of next year.
He's not as interested in protecting the team that didn't give him a new contract as he is about getting work next year.

What about the team getting 'benched' for next (1,2 or 3) Pro Tour events?
Or a rule that says no team with a provisionally suspended or sanctioned rider in the past 6 months can ride any of the Grand Tours?
 
Sep 21, 2012
296
0
0
Visit site
Six min into the live feed - just a casual mention that Andy Schleck abandoned.

And a bit of surprise in the break. They're saying Ryder Hesjedal is up there.
He's best placed about 1'00" back. Explains the tight leash on the break.
 
bangnz said:
Can i trust a rider who has doped in the past is now riding clean?
No

UCI need to clamp down hard and issue lifetime bans. It may seem harsh but why give dopers a second chance?

Why not go a step futher and issue team sactions like loss of World tour license if a rider is caught doping?

We have plenty of riders and teams willing to replace them

They will never put life bans in place for a first offence for fear of losing some of the superstars of the sport for good. I would like to see four years bans and then banned for life for a second offence. Doctors and drug distributors should get an automatic ban for life and prison time. Team managers banned from the sport for life if it is team based doping.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
LouieLouie said:
Are dopers less trustworthy than other liars? Can we trust liars? Can we find anyone who never lied?

This entire line of reasoning is ridiculous.

Lemme help you out there.

Are drug addicts that get paid for their addiction less trustworthy than other liars? Yes.

Can we trust liars? Yes, when they are not speaking.

Can we find anyone who never lied? No. Everything I say is a lie.
 
Jul 14, 2009
2,498
0
0
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Lemme help you out there.

Are drug addicts that get paid for their addiction less trustworthy than other liars? Yes.

Can we trust liars? Yes, when they are not speaking.

Can we find anyone who never lied? No. Everything I say is a lie.

first you have to know who doped. As that number grows and the all the guys that still know something about it are silent . The secrets are as big as the spoken lies