• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara or Martin to do a Wiggins?

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's a stupid question? But Could Cancellara or Martin, do what Wiggins have done and become TDF contenders by losing a lot of weight or are there other factors/reasons as to why they wouldn't be able?

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Snilla said:
Maybe it's a stupid question? But Could Cancellara or Martin, do what Wiggins have done and become TDF contenders by losing a lot of weight or are there other factors/reasons as to why they wouldn't be able?

If I remember correctly a few month (years?) ago Cancellara said that he don't want to lose weight, to become a GT rider.

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Of Course they will be able to do it.

You wouldn't happen to know why they don't then? I mean maybe Fabian prefer to compete in the classics, but that dosent seem to be the case for Martin.

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Because tony enjoys tt and it the most interesting thing in cycling for bavarianrider.

:confused: See no reason why Martin can't enjoy his tt and at the same time compete for yellow? The last part of your sentence makes no sense to me sorry...

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
It wasn't that long ago that Tony Martin was second climbing up Ventoux.

Indeed. Cancellara beat Scarponi, VDB, Vanendert, Horner, Kloden and a raft of others up the Cat 1 the other day. It doesn't mean they could both achieve what Brad does consistently.

I don't know why Zam Olyas is so certain both could do a Wiggins. If it was so certain I think they would. But it's the uncertainty of the results that probably puts them off, which is why it makes what Wiggo is doing is very special.

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
So by doing a Wiggins, you mean 'would canc like to go from descent/good -> the best time trailer in the world?' I guess he wouldn't mind:eek:

I think you know very well what I mean...
Also we trying to be mature in this thread ;)

Tony Martin has been trying to do this for several years. He was going into the TDF in 2010 and 2011 with a goal of doing well in the GC, but he was never close. So he's probably not capable.

Cancellara hasn't really tried, but he's probably too big naturally to have a chance. It's not like his fat percentage is very high at the moment, so he might not be able to lose much at all.

Snilla said:
Netserk said:
So by doing a Wiggins, you mean 'would canc like to go from descent/good -> the best time trailer in the world?' I guess he wouldn't mind:eek:

I think you know very well what I mean...
Also we trying to be mature in this thread ;)
All I'm saying is that canc most likely would like to become an even better time trailer, even if he would have to lose 12 kilo to do that ;)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Snilla said:
I see. Thank you Maltiv. I Thought they were all of similar size and build with Wiggins (Before the major weight loss)

I think Cancellara and Martin's muscle mass is different to Wiggans regardless of Wiggins weight loss. Cancellara gets a lot of his power from his glutes whereas I don't think Wiggans does. (Maybe someone more knowledgeable in that matter can correct me if I'm wrong there). I think if he loses weight he will lose power which won't be good in the spring classics

Martin - I think he could but because of his riding style not sure if he'd want to.

I'm not an expert on these matters so please do correct me if I'm wrong on the above. I did see a video of Cancellara once and his trainer talking about his muscle mass. this is wehere I got this from.

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
MonteZoncolan said:
I think Cancellara and Martin's muscle mass is different to Wiggans regardless of Wiggins weight loss. Cancellara gets a lot of his power from his glutes whereas I don't think Wiggans does. (Maybe someone more knowledgeable in that matter can correct me if I'm wrong there). I think if he loses weight he will lose power which won't be good in the spring classics

Martin - I think he could but because of his riding style not sure if he'd want to.

I'm not an expert on these matters so please do correct me if I'm wrong on the above. I did see a video of Cancellara once and his trainer talking about his muscle mass. this is wehere I got this from.

Very interesting. Thank you MonteZoncolan. I will try and find more about this. :)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Wiggins body is different from Martins and Cancellaras. They could never become as light as Wiggo even if Wiggo is taller.

I have always wondered if Cancellara could be a good GC rider in the Grand Tours if he really tried. He will probably be too heayv even if he drops weight, but on the other hand we have Indurain who was a relatively heavy guy with a frame not that different from Cancellaras. So maybe it's not impossible he could be a good GC rider, maybe not win, but top 10. But we will never know I guess because Canc won't give it a shot.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Body types differ. You have to assume that Tony Martin has lost as much weight as is possible this year, over time and with some aging you can loose muscle mass which will make you a better climber, of course, because it increases your power-to-weight ratio. Older riders often can become better climbers if they were "bulky" in their youth.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Another thing to bear in mind is that Wiggins said the other day his weight was 71kg - which means he has put more kilos back on (it has been on the record as low as 67) - this may be why he can compete better with Spartacus and Tony M in the TT this year (as well as them both being not at their best).

But both Martin and Fabian look much bigger framed than Wiggo so there may be only so much they can lose.

If Wiggo holds out for the win this Tour would like to see it go the other way tbh - Wiggo put some more weight back on and compete with Spartacus in the cobbled classics (after he has won LBL and Lombardy of course ;):rolleyes:)

TRENDING THREADS