• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
betancur is just 23 and actually is demonstrating he is not only a good rider for classics but also for gt.

he looks as impressive as majka, kelderman, moser and other young talents with subforums. so lets discuss on him here

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Quickly becoming one of my favorite riders. Has been absolutely fantastic this season and shown a ton of talent for the future. He'll win a stage of this Giro and take white, I am 100% certain of this.

Plus, it's thanks to him I'm occupying a podium position in the Giro CQ game. :D Go Betancur GO! Get me onto the top step! :D

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Betancur has always been a climber before a classic rider.

The argument "He's not a pure climber, he has no endurance" its out of logic.

See the Worlds of Mendrisio with a lot of kilometres of slope (is that in english?)
See the queen stage of the Giro Bio 2010, close to the 200 kms.
See his performance in the third week of the Giro 2011.

In Acqua Sapone didnt have the appropiate calendar for shine in the top mountains.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I think that too.

IMHO the colombians will dominate the next Giros and Vueltas a España.

And the TDF is going to be a private province only apt for the superclass.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
He only rode one Giro in AS and was his first time in a GT. In Trentino was 4th. In Padania shone too. Österreich not in shape.
Demonstrated his climbing abilities in the few opportunities he had.

In Trentino, Padania, Apenninos, etc.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Reminds me of Rodriguez, but getting his chance at leadership early. I never thought much of Rodriguez on long climbs either until 2012...so he has some time yet.

gotta love Betancur-No matter if the cause is already lost for the stage win- this guy only knows one word: A.T.T.A.C.K.
such rare breed-because I've always envisioned him as a classic type rider-but his current performance in Il Giro makes me think he's more than that-just so aggressive. Carlos really deserves a stage win:D or at least the maglia bianca...

I love Betancur. He's simply just crazy :D As someone mentioned, he doesn't care if the stage victory is gone, he attacks anyway.

Yesterday was a very good opportunity for him to grab a stage win, but unfortunately it didn't work out. I hope he'll get one later.

hfer07 said:
gotta love Betancur-No matter if the cause is already lost for the stage win- this guy only knows one word: A.T.T.A.C.K.
such rare breed-because I've always envisioned him as a classic type rider-but his current performance in Il Giro makes me think he's more than that-just so aggressive. Carlos really deserves a stage win:D or at least the maglia bianca...

reminds me of one guy named VINO:D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Looks like he'll take white and 5th overall in this Giro. And this is after earlier as they were coming into the climb, flatting, battling back on, then having to switch bikes while on the climb.

Great performance by him today and throughout the 3 weeks. He may not have gotten his stage win that I thought he would get, but he sure made his mark on the race. And showed himself to be a great talent for future GT's. Looking forward to the Vuelta. :)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Chapaeu to him. Thought he didnt have it in him on long climbs, but proved me totally wrong.

Amazing rider and exciting to watch! More from him please! Vuelta should be fairly fun with his amazing acceleration :D

Great and gutsy performance today.

Should definitely win a Vuelta someday (specially if the parcours stays like these days)
Hope he can improve his ITT skills,
nevertheless he shouldn't lose his focus on the hilly classics. That is where he'll do best.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
when last year I wrote many times that betancur is a very talented rider, good both in the hills and in the cols.
he is an atypical escarabayo: he has very muscular legs, like a sprinter or a pistard, but he already showed in the girobio ( the montegrappa stage) and in his first giro ( the finestre stage) that he has the engine to be strong in the high mountains too.
he has been under evaluated by some colombians and by ryo, who is a really a great expert of south american riders.
now everybody can see how good he is.
in the first year as a pro he had no great work ethic, and he used to come back from colombia overweight and not well trained. than last year , with acqua e sapone he had few chances to shine because of team calendar , but he showed his skill and learnt to arrive to races in good shape.
he has also the capacity of staying in form for long periods.
he did that last year and also in 2013 he was able to be good in the third week of the giro after having shone in the pais vasco and in the ardennes.
i hope he will prepare well for the vuelta and the worlds.
imho he can really win in florence.

i am very happy, i was a fanboy of him since the girobio he won

TRENDING THREADS